What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

there here ( what MR.X using ) LED

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, before I begin. I have nothing to do with these lights, they did not give them to me to demo or show people, I had to pay the exact price and did alot of back and forth email before I got them... I do not work for any LED company or am getting paid in any way

I just thought some people might be interested, as I know there "new", and know of no one else that uses them besides MR.X

now, warning. these shipped without the lens. I was delayed already 3 weeks to get them, so didn't want to wait for the lens caps to come. they are coming and will be here in a couple days.

I can tell you, I think even without the lens, it's smashing my GLH light. I topped 3 plants a the same time, and this light looks like the tops are growing out faster, but that could be many reasons. I'm not gonna jump to an conclusions yet as I've barley used them... but even with the lens caps they are growing under them (43 watts )

I love that they are silent. I'm a quiet freak, and like peace and quiet, inlines are my worst enemy. they do get hot to the touch, but haven't seen any flickering or anyhting let that would lead me to believe they need a fan to cool them.

these seem like quality pieces. I hope they do the job. but I like the thin form factor and no fan.

only thing people should know is you have to wire up the plug your country uses. very very simple to do and takes 3 minutes. you buy a plug at your hardware store, and just attach the wires to your plug that usually have the screw "tie down" thing to attach the wire to your plug. ( hard to explain )

these also having a dimming feature on them ( black circle in the last picture of the light on the left ). not sure much use unless I'm doing clones or seedlings or moms, as these are small watts, 43 I believe, but they come in different models. I choose these as they fit in small tents and I like low wattage. very neat none the less as it's like my lumigrow, but can't dial each color. better then not having it I guess

( the camera captures the red well, but actually is a very soft red / white glow, and love the color more then any LED, as your plants looks purple under any other. these I can see pretty well what were use to seeing. not white but it's alot better then purple.

bonsai

Very interesting to see a successful light with no royal blue diodes. Wonder if you'll still get the super compact nodal spacing.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi bonsai,

yeah interested as well. I hear the whites they use are more blue leaning..

I do think though, yes you will lose the super compact plant, but maybe MR.X knows about this, not sure if he's used it in veg though

it's why I love the lumigrow in veg. I can get such a compact plant upping the blue, that you can't achieve in HPS / MH / floro that I've seen

T_B_M

From their spec they use:

30 led Cree XP-E red 630nm.
15 led Cree XP-E cool white

Cool white Crees have a blue peak at 450-460nm. So that should be fine in veg.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From their spec they use:

30 led Cree XP-E red 630nm.
15 led Cree XP-E cool white

Cool white Crees have a blue peak at 450-460nm. So that should be fine in veg.

are these good LED guys fromt he spec sheet? I have to tell you I am not good technical, just know enough to get by..

I will show a picture later of the tops, this light seems to be working very well so far, maybe had it 4-5 days now

grow101

I've been working with a DIY setup of 24 Luxeon K2 red (obsolete now) and 16 Cree XR-E R2 cool white at 700mA, roundabout 100W at the LEDs. It worked fine, but I was tuning in my NFT at the time. So the six plants differed in weight quite a bit, the biggest was 20g dry. Next grow I will resurrect this little beast, as I befriended the NFT by now. I use it as 50W (350mA) grow panel all the time, then 250W MH and 400W HPS in flower. I felt I came close to my 250W HPS in soil, which I had lots of trouble with heat (and yield therefore) in comparison. Now I run a cooltube, which I should haven done then. The silence of the LED system is quite nice, low speed fans as the heat sinks are capable of dealing with the heat alone.

T_B_M

are these good LED guys fromt he spec sheet? I have to tell you I am not good technical, just know enough to get by..

I will show a picture later of the tops, this light seems to be working very well so far, maybe had it 4-5 days now

Yes. There are a couple whites that are better from Cree, but those are good. They are efficient. Those lights look pretty slick. It would be more expensive, but the Cree XML whites would have been nice on that. Not sure why there is no 660nm though. It will be interesting to see in bloom.

S

Scrappy-doo

Tagged.

I'm a fan of Mr. X's thread. What did this light end up costing?

From what I recall he was a little disappointed with the yield, unless I'm not remembering correctly. Been a while.

I'm running a Badboy T5 setup. Love the silence. Really looking forward to see how these do for you. GL man!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been working with a DIY setup of 24 Luxeon K2 red (obsolete now) and 16 Cree XR-E R2 cool white at 700mA, roundabout 100W at the LEDs. It worked fine, but I was tuning in my NFT at the time. So the six plants differed in weight quite a bit, the biggest was 20g dry. Next grow I will resurrect this little beast, as I befriended the NFT by now. I use it as 50W (350mA) grow panel all the time, then 250W MH and 400W HPS in flower. I felt I came close to my 250W HPS in soil, which I had lots of trouble with heat (and yield therefore) in comparison. Now I run a cooltube, which I should haven done then. The silence of the LED system is quite nice, low speed fans as the heat sinks are capable of dealing with the heat alone.

sounds good, thanks for sharing!

Yes. There are a couple whites that are better from Cree, but those are good. They are efficient. Those lights look pretty slick. It would be more expensive, but the Cree XML whites would have been nice on that. Not sure why there is no 660nm though. It will be interesting to see in bloom.

interesting, wonder if these can easily be changed out? looks like it's just rivets holding the led plate to the "heatsink".

only problem is I no nothing of soldering / replacing LED...

TBM, here's link to his grow

Tagged.

I'm a fan of Mr. X's thread. What did this light end up costing?

From what I recall he was a little disappointed with the yield, unless I'm not remembering correctly. Been a while.

I'm running a Badboy T5 setup. Love the silence. Really looking forward to see how these do for you. GL man!

lights are expensive I will not deny that. I forgot price per light ( I have 2 ) but you can check the stats on there website and convert to your money.. can't remember off the top of my head

to be honest, I did not scan his whole thread even yet. just skimmed around.

I do know he is using: "now I use two meters square, whit 150w led for meter." . if my math is correct 1 square meter is 10.7 square foot ??? that would make his watts per square foot insane, somewhere around like 14.2 watts a square foot !!! I think looking at his pictures that's pretty damn good

I do know he said there is a lack of penetration to lower sites, that's all I really read, not sure if he likes the lights or not...

thank you guys for all the input, add anything else and keep it coming

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i'm so in on this...

his yield was 1.73 gpw if you are to believe the retailer.

check the link in my sig called LED Grow Results: Grams Per Watt. i have links to a lot of LED grows, with results, etc...

there is a link to where his yield was discussed. it's not in the grow thread... ;)

so habeeb, let's see what this baby can do :tiphat:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Habeeb, I would appreciate it if you would post the dimensions of the fixture - I don't see where it is listed on the site. It appears that the two models currently listed have (3 - 40 watts) and (5 - 70 watts) of the segments with the led engines. It will be very interesting to get your impressions of this unit!

2000pm

Habeeb, I would appreciate it if you would post the dimensions of the fixture - I don't see where it is listed on the site. It appears that the two models currently listed have (3 - 40 watts) and (5 - 70 watts) of the segments with the led engines. It will be very interesting to get your impressions of this unit!

via the contact email:
The Evo50V3 measures 50cm long, 10cm wide and 2cm tall.
Has Led 40W, 45W total consumption with Driver.

Prices
Evo50, 40W, 3 groups of Led, 50x10x2cm Price 172'5€
Evo70, missing pictures in the blog, 55W, 4 groups led, 70x10x2cm Price 230'35 €,
Evo90, 70W, 5 groups of Led, 90x10x2cm price € 243'4€

Prices not including shipping - you would have to contact them to further get that figure.

I'm really annoyed by heat in the growroom in general and if I had these lights I'd be sticking computer fans on them out of sheer paranoia that a fire might result. I get funny about the heat 200W of LEDs put out, don't know how I ever left the house in summer back when I used to run a few 600W HPS without cooltubes. I still remember how much I'd be sweating when I used to work on the plants under those things, it's a huge difference between LED and HID I don't care what anyone says the output on LEDs is noticeably lower. I'm looking forward to seeing your new lights in action as the higher quality of LEDs used will give a good idea as to what the difference really is between cheapies and Cree diodes. They are expensive, though I guess having to pay for labour is a huge overhead.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i think SOTF420 put it best with this statement... Infrared Heat is the difference ;)

:yeahthats :respect:

LED technology also makes it extremely easy to defeat FLIR detection as well, as most of you already know LED lights do not generate the massive amounts of IR that HPS does and most LED lights generate none unless they have the specific chips added which is not necessary to grow Cannabis with anyways. All IR basically is Infrared heat energy and this is a massive amount of wasted energy & light spectra in your grow that just heats up the environment and makes your room glow like a lantern in the dark to LEO running FLIR to detect growrooms. A large % of the light created by HPS is IR in fact and it is a long enough wavelength to be absorbed into the surrounding structure.

So it's not just the escaping heat that FLIR detects but the IR heat waves being absorbed into the walls and environment of poorly insulated growrooms which unfortunately most are unless maybe you have a room within a room or a high quality reflective grow tent like a growlab but even then the fact of the matter is IR is heat and that takes more energy to cool and this is a big trickle down effect on energy consumption to combat it. LED's are cooler and overall will save you money, any heat they generate is ambient heat from cooling heatsinks not the radiant IR heat that HID produces these are two very different things so let's be clear about that to those saying HID & LED generate the same anount of heat that is absolutely untrue. The LG 330 only gets warm to the touch and the light coming out underneath does not radiate IR heat energy so there is no radiated heat coming from the light heating up the plants underneath it or the growroom for that matter. I believe this may have something to do with the claims of LED grown buds being more potent and flavorful than HPS grown buds of the same strain because we all know heat damages and degrades THC as well as essential oils like Cannabis terpenoids for instance. It would make sense that flowers not subjected to IR light/heat would be more potent, and smell, & taste better. :canabis:

The focused spectrums necessary to power photosynthesis and not having the problems regarding excess IR light being produced is another reason more smart growers are choosing LED for their updated growrooms with safer modern technology. You can grow just as much bud of the same or better quality with LED lighting in 2011 and beyond. The time has come, it's here and we are already doing it :good: