Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Increasing Terpenes Production and/or Reducing Terpenes Loss During Cure

Thread Title Search
Click to buy Cannabis Seeds at Fast Buds
Increasing Terpenes Production and/or Reducing Terpenes Loss During Cure Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 PM #1
Max Trichomes

Max Trichomes is on a distinguished road
Increasing Terpenes Production and/or Reducing Terpenes Loss During Cure

Once in a great while I smoke some meds that has an amazing flavor. Not only is the smoke smooth and flavor intense, but it has a complicated flavor profile. I've yet to achieve this with the meds I've grown.

Now I'm not saying my bud is not super awesome, cause it is . It's very potent and frosty, but the flavor is just not what it's suppose to be. I know a lot of it is genetics, but a couple of my strains have the genetics to taste amazing. I can tell my girls want to taste good.

What seems to happen is the sooner it is smoked after being cut, the more you can taste what ever unique flavor the strain has (lemon, piney, etc.). But since it's wet it's very harsh, after the first hit or two the only flavor that can be tasted is hurting. The longer it cures the smoother it gets but the more it seems to lose it's unique flavor. It doesn't taste bad, but it just taste like weed, as opposed to say Chocolope. I thought the longer you cured it the better the taste got, but for me it really gets smoother while tasting more generic. I am attributing this to loss of terpenes during the cure. I've used hydro, organic soil, organic soiless, the medium is not the culprit. I've also noticed this kinda happens to a couple other growers I know.

I cure at 68 F with a RH of 60%. Hang on the line for 4-5 days depending on the feel, then put into mason jars. The jars are open and closed for 3-4 weeks. After that they only get cracked for 5 min once a week or so. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions on how to minimize terpenes loss?

What I really want to try is the freeze dry method for curing. Ed Rosenthal kind of talks it up in his book. But commercial freeze dryers are pretty expensive, well very expensive. Dry Ice method wouldn't be feasible. Has anyone tried curing through sublimation? Does it lock in the chlorophyll taste as well as the terpenes?

Any hints, tips, or tricks out there to increase terpene production during the flower cycle? Something like jasmonic acid does for trichomes, but with terpenes instead.

Anyone who took time to read this and put input into the discussion I thank you in advance. Hopefully this will make a good discussion and turn into a resource for everyone to really make that connoisseur quality bud. Potency may be the most important thing, but it's not connoisseur quality without a great taste to accompany a great buzz.
Max Trichomes is offline Quote

Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 PM #2
Dislexus
the shit spoon

Dislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really niceDislexus is just really nice
Use some horticultural molasses (has some sulphur in it) early-mid flower. Switch to unsulphured molasses at mid flower.

Should help the flavor a lot.

But you still need the genetics!!
Dislexus is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 PM #3
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

Phaeton is offline Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 12:17 AM #4
BigDawg
Spending a G in the Vending Machine

BigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really niceBigDawg is just really nice
slow dry for 2+ weeks
BigDawg is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 AM #5
fabvariousk
Banned

fabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to allfabvariousk is a name known to all
I agree with BigDawg.
I don't use scissors anymore to trim.
When the buds have dried enough that I can crumble off the sugar leaves with my fingers I know they can be jarred and taste awesome.
That is usually a week hung in 70 degrees.
Then another week in a drawer.
You can lose flavor and smell by trimming/jarring too early.
fabvariousk is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:32 AM #6
KSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
slow dry for 2+ weeks
Right on BigDawg. I cure mine slowly and for a long time as well. I remember my grandfather curing his tobacco crop and I kind of try to emulate that at least in duration, also like for the bud to stay in "dry to low case" the whole time and be in "dry to low case" when it is trimmed and jarred. Just in case you're wondering what "in dry to low case" is, it means it has enough moisture content to be handled without crumbling. A link to levels of case and curing in burley tobacco:

https://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr14/agr14.htm

Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 AM #7
devilgoob
Banned

devilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nicedevilgoob is just really nice
Dry extremely slow, keep in vacuum box.
devilgoob is offline Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 AM #8
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

Phaeton is offline Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM #9
budlover123
Excuse me Spliff, where are the G's at?

budlover123 is a jewel in the roughbudlover123 is a jewel in the roughbudlover123 is a jewel in the roughbudlover123 is a jewel in the roughbudlover123 is a jewel in the roughbudlover123 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabvariousk View Post
I agree with BigDawg.
I don't use scissors anymore to trim.
When the buds have dried enough that I can crumble off the sugar leaves with my fingers I know they can be jarred and taste awesome.
That is usually a week hung in 70 degrees.
Then another week in a drawer.
You can lose flavor and smell by trimming/jarring too early.
Sounds simple and perfect, like a method people used 3000 years ago

not only can you lose smell and flavor from jarring too early, you can also destroy otherwise great bud with mold and mildew that way.

I imagine unless it's a weak airy bud, there's no way there's not a ton of moisture in there even when the outside is crumbly and dry, then the crumbly dry outside draws the moisture out of the center of the bud when it is sealed in a jar, and it's my understanding if you do that the right way, it will smell and taste great
When it comes to a drug that is currently listed in schedule I, if it is undisputed that such drug has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States and a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.."

No accepted safety of use under medical supervision? How medically supervised are all the patients in all the medical states?

Excerpt from US Govt Cannabinoid Patent 6,630,507
Cannabinoids have been found to have important properties...cannabinoids useful in the treatment... stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease...

If you believe in survival of the fittest as a way of life or doing business, you're a wild, uncivilized animal.
budlover123 is offline Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM #10
MIway

MIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to beholdMIway is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Trichomes View Post
I cure at 68 F with a RH of 60%. Hang on the line for 4-5 days depending on the feel, then put into mason jars.

The jars are open and closed for 3-4 weeks. After that they only get cracked for 5 min once a week or so.

I kinda pay attention to my drying room... it's just as climate controlled as anywhere else... and from experience, weed can't dry at 68F with 60%RH... it just won't fully dry (MC of 9-12%)... you won't be able to get down there, the weed will always be soft & pliable, not dry & crisp. It just won't... too much moisture in the air, constantly keeping the nugs semi-moist.

When you jar that, it won't have the super crip & distinct odors... imho. It's jarred damp weed... and that's what it is. Burping damp weed isn't going to do anything.

Try 72-74F... 44-48%RH... 48+ slows it down, 44- will increase the speed of the dry.

Jar at 2 weeks, when crisp like several above have suggested. ;-)
MIway is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.