What's new

UREA in Hydroponics

Well, its just another one of those EXCELLENT source materials used by AN....NOT!

You might as well just piss in your tank....that is probably what Big Fat Mike does for the source.......LOL....j/k! Seriously though, mammal urine does come pretty cheap I imagine.....

Its used as a cheap form of nitrogen.........

The experience with AN in DWC or RDWC, or NFT is not as good as with other brands which are actually designed for use in hydroponics and dont just say that they are on the bottle. The source materials used for a hydroponics formula is different than that used for soil as there are some elemental forms that play nice with different media types and some that do not play so nice........AN uses "magic" to avoid these in-compatibilities......

I guess it will depend on who you ask though.....some folks think UREA is a fine source for nitrogen, and I imagine in some cases it is ok to use.....some folks also pee and poo in there tanks.......and on there soil......

Y

YosemiteSam

It is a pretty cheap source of ammonical nitrogen NH4.

In hydro or soil or anything else you would really like to balance your NO3, NH4 and the alkalinity of your water. If you get that right then your pH worries are over...period. Well not period...but provided you get your media pH right to start with.

But no one recommendation works because peoples water is different. For example, my alkalinity runs around 60 ppm CaCO3 which allows me to get by with very little NH4...but if your alkalinity was 200 ppm you would want a higher ratio of NH4/NO3 than I use

Here are a couple of articles http://www.greenhousegrower.com/magazine/?storyid=96 and http://www.greenhousegrower.com/magazine/?storyid=560.

Once you understand these concepts you will realize what AN is up to. They are picking an NH4/NO3 ratio based on some "average" water source and then using a bunch of shitty synthetic chelates to cover their bases...not exactly the kind of thing a real master grower depends on.

If you are making your own nutes and have high alkalinity water ammonium nitrate or ammonium phosphate are both better choices than urea. AN went the cheapest possible way...bringing into question their commitment to high quality sources :)