What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

15+ Strain Perpetual Soil Garden

Hi all,

I run a 4000 watt medical garden. I am most at home with hydroponics, ebb/flow or top feed style. I always enjoy puffing on some good organic soil though, so I am still running 2000 watts of organic soil.

Lately, I have been pissed with the amount of each herb I have at any given time. I have like 15 strains or more and I rarely have a decent stash of everything because of the ways that I grow. So my new idea is to grow only 2 of each strain in my soil garden so that once a month I get a solid plant of each strain I hold.

Here is the list:

Blueberrry
Blackberry ( unknown cut )
Sensi Star
MK-Ultra-F2
Snow White ( unknown cut )
White Northern
Pure Ninja Turtle
Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra-F1 #1,2,3
Haze ( unknown cut )
Afghan x MK-Ultra #7,9,17,38

I also have seeds I am starting currently of the following:

Barney Farm's Red Diesel
LA Confidential
Northern Lights
MK-Ultra
Nevilles Haze (feminized)
Arjans Ultra Haze 1 (feminized)
Strawberry Haze (feminized)
Hawaiian Snow (feminized)
Super Silver Haze (feminized)

Currently I have a number of large plants flowering under these lights. They are leftovers of my backup mothers which I moved down here 3 months ago. Lined up are clones of everything that I am holding in the first list above. I am going to start vegging them today and flip them slowly as the larger plants come out over the next 2-3 weeks. In the future I will cut clones for the soil garden earlier to veg them longer.

I am planning on trying to do 12-16 plants per 1000 watt light, that way I can get my 12-16 strains out every month from the two lights.

The list of what is in now is:

4 Ninja Turlte x MK-Ultra-F1 #1
3 Ninja Turlte x MK-Ultra-F1 #3
2 Afghan x MK-Ultra #36( Afghan pheno )
2 Afghan x MK-Ultra #31( Hellraiser pheno )
1 Blueberry
1 Sensi Star
1 UP-Purple( Already harvested as it was herm )

In the past I have used my own mixes of coco coir or peat moss and perlite with various solid manures and such. Lately, have been lazy and using FFOF and supplementing with liquid or other solids as I see fit. The plants I am growing now were vegged in FFOF and maybe some GO liquid every 3rd watering or so to get a little extra growth.

At the time they were flipped they were all transplanted, the largest to 3,4, and 5 gallon containers. At that time I innoculated some Earth Juice Rooters Myco and mixed in Hydro Organics Bloom mix at around 2 Tbsp per gallon.

Since then I have been doing just add water to see how this method works. Some of the plants are having some issues which I could have fixed with liquid, but I am set in this just add water method, so I will wait it out and see how they do.

The first plant to come out was the UP-Purple strain. I grew 8 clones of her at my old house and she hermed out a little, but I thought it was my fault. I grew 2 plants in hydro just recently and they hermed bad within the first 5 days of the 7th week of flowering. The last plant was in soil here and I pulled her at exactly 6 weeks to avoid any more pollen in my room. The strain has been killed because of this, it is really not worth growing at this point.

picture.php

picture.php

That being said, here are some of the more recent pics of the plants still in the soil garden.

These 2 are from a week ago, they are Afghan x MK-Ultra #36
picture.php

picture.php

Those plants are in 5 gallon buckets for size comparison. Here is the larger of the two, look for the trimming scissors hanging from the lower branch in the pic.

picture.php

A closeup of one of the lower nugs.

picture.php

This is the Afghan x MK-Ultra #31 plant, I want to say that is a 3 gallon pot.

picture.php

Next up we have the Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra phenos.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sensi Star
picture.php

Blueberry
picture.php

That is all for now, I will update as the plants are harvested and new plants replace them.

Peace all.

V

vdog

Wow your going to have your hands full with all of that gardening!

It must be difficult keeping the feed schedules for different strains. Thats why I like soil and outdoors, I still dose mine but with only half strength nutrient, I burnt my biggest plant earlier this summer and I bet that I killed 20% of the overall output it will create this fall.

I guess my point is that with a multi strain set up, I go weak on chemicals so that I wont burn anything ever again, and that soil is so forgiving as it "feeds" by itself and with just water & good sun it makes for healthy plants. Ofcourse your indoors and "mostly" hydro so that will make things alot different. So you evidently have a good grip on your feed regimine as to not burn individual strains.

Anyways, Im watching!

vdog feeding many strains is a pain, but I have had these ladies for years, so I can work with them. I find most strains respond well to similar regiments, and they do optimal with slightly refined regiments. It all depends on how you feed, the size of the plants, and the environment.

I tend to go light as well, that hydro organics said it was 2-4 Tbsp/ gallon of soil, so I went with 2. In the future I think I may go back to Cow manure, chicken manure, earthworm castings, bone meal, and sea kelp. It is a little difficult to burn with those things unless you really load your mix up with them.

Just got done transplanting the first 13 soil clones to some beer cups. In a week I will move them to some 3/4 gallon containers, then the final flowering containers after that.

Thanks for all the good words, that BB soil may come down the more I look at the pictures of it, there are few white pistils left on her.

Peace all.

Yah`mon

Hey bud, great line up for sure.

Only thing I might recommend for ya in your soil grows, is to try out smart pots.

The root growth from a plant in a smart pot is just insane. It's basically a mass clump of feeder roots. They are reusable just like any other potting container, but when you see the difference in root growth, you'll be sold.

Variety is the spice of life! Although I can see not always having enough of a given strain.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes for you, as I will be in the same situation later on. I'm just starting up the indoor and have about 10-15 different strains/pheno's to test before I can throw any out.

How do you keep your mothers? I know your not taking tons of cuts per mother, basically your not running a SOG style grow, so I'm wondering what size containers and what type of lighting you keep all those mothers in.

Yah`mon:tiphat:

Hey Yah`mon,

I have been interested in smart pots or air pots or whatever fancy air pruning pots people are running these days. I haven't chucked up anything yet, but I will probably switch over at some point in the future.

I like to keep my mothers under CFL lights. I use the blue 125 watt bulbs with a reflector on a 2' x 3' space for 6 mothers. They are kept in 1 gallon pots. I try to trim them back by cloning and keep them under 3 feet, I am not a bonzaii expert by any means.

Thanks for stopping by,

Peace

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ bonsai is so easy it's not even funny.. I suggest you look up some guides on it, I know there's one here by oldtimer or someone..

basic rules very simple:

feed light
low light
small small pot
trim once and awhile

this clears up so much space, keeps a very compact plant, and works very very well when growing out from seed, you can keep a backup and not re-veg or anyhting like that

try it out on one plant from clone even.. you'll see how easy and fun it is

Thanks habeeb,

Perhaps your vote of confidence will be the tipping point in making me do this. I already purchased the pots and have read about it twice over the last year or so, the last time just recently.

My only hesitation is getting started. I have dropped the clones in 3" pots many times and looked at them when one is supposed to do the first clone from the top. I really don't like the idea of cutting 80-90% of the vegetation off with a clone to leave just one or two internodes. I have tried cloning small plants in the past like this and had bad luck with the mother plant dying. I guess that was a little different, more like 8 clones from a plant with only 10 or 12 tops.

Anyways, perhaps I will do it with 1 backup clone as I have a few coming up here. I really like the idea of being able to hold 2-4 times more mothers with this method than my current method. Or just use less space and power for the mothers that I have.

Thanks again habeeb,

Peace man.

Thanks cannagardens,

that has been going on for a few weeks now. Most of the plants are 7 weeks old and have been flushing for a week. I think that accounts for most of the deficiencies except for the SS plant, she wants a lot of CA I think. In aero her leaves turned white when the deficiency got worse than the bronzish color.

The toxicities are something one has to deal with using solid fertilizer and just add water method. I am pretty sure the only thing to do is augment with liquid which I don't really wish to do at this time as the plants are close to done.

The method I used with most success has been to feed about half as much as I have in this run with solids, then use liquids to augment around the time the first plants start showing deficiencies. That way I have more control on who needs more food and who does not.

I had to guess when I transplanted these a bit because the solids I gave said they lasted 90 days before re-application and I have never used them as a stand-alone fert. I guess they really lasted about 45 days on the hungrier girls but I did feed at half rate?

That being said, 2 Tbsp/gal for light feeding, 3-4 Tbsp/gal for heavier feeding or longer flowering on the Hydro Organics solid fertilizer.

Peace

8 weeks and flowering

8 weeks and flowering

Hi all,

I snapped some pics this morning at the end of the 8th week, tonight starts day 57 of flowering. Again, the plants were given one dose of Earth Juice Hydro Organic Bloom mix as recommended on the label and site. The plants have been fed 7.0 pH RO water the entire flowering period.

Here are some of the better shots I got.

Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra-F1 #1
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra-F1 #3 - The Foot Clan
picture.php

picture.php

Afghan x MK-Ultra #31 - Hellraiser
picture.php

picture.php

Sensi Star
picture.php

Afghan x MK-Ultra #36
picture.php

Blueberry S1
picture.php

That is all the different strains in there currently. I tend to not waste plants, so the next 6 plants that go in are the rejects from my breeding project. I really don't want to throw away some massive vegged plants which can yield a good amount of good herb. They will be Afghan x MK-Ultra phenotypes #7,9,20,39,50, and 51. #9 is being kept as of yet, but I had two mothers and the other is bigger, so I will flower these 6 when I pull the first 6 or so from above.

Most of the strains I am growing here finish in 8-9 weeks in hydro, but I always seem to take longer when I grow things with solid organic fertilizers even when compared to liquid organic. I think I will pick the 5 or 6 most finished and swap them for these Afghan plants when they are recovered from a final transplant today.

The rest of the plants are going to sit there until I think they are perfect or they are dead. I have tons of clones to throw in after they are done vegging. I think they have been in the cups for about 5 days, then a week or so in a 3/4 gallon, then a week or so in a 3 gallon, then off to the flowering room and chop chop for the rest of these plants.

The clones I have vegging are everything listed in the first post.

That is all for now, Peace.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
dang! your sensi and blueberry plants have my mouth watering! i hope i get a couple beauts like that in my current seed run!

Thanks, that Sensi Star is actually not the best looking I have grown, although I would bet it still tops 2 oz. The plant consistently grows rock solid nuggets at a rate of 1 oz per foot of height.

Peace

Big Update

Big Update

Hi all,

Wow, I suck, all the way down to page 4, I guess I need to upload pics more. I cut everything on the 2000 watts of garden. The plants in the back corner were significantly larger than the others, I am not sure why, I have had little success growing only 6 plants per 1000 watts, but these 6 were beasts, two of which were the largest plants i have grown to date, 4oz 19 grams each out of 5 gallon pots. That puts that strain at around 29oz/1000 watt which is not the largest I have gotten on a light, but wow, that is crazy.

The blueberry was 3 1/4 ounces, which was an amazing harvest, I think the second light just needed 2 or 3 2 gallon plants squeezed in there to get the better numbers. The light was a little sparse, I guess those plants were not vegged enough to take advantage of the extra space.

All of the soil medicine was amazing, is amazing. I am puffing on so many things these days, at least 10 kinds with an oz or more to sample. I am really liking growing so many different strains. I have a light of 1000 watts of blueberry, I think this may be the last light I run for a while with all the same cut.

Here is a spattering of some live pics of the plants from the last month or so before they were chopped.

N.T. #1
picture.php

N.T. #3
picture.php

Sensi Star
picture.php

These are the new plants when they were first put in I think about 2-3 weeks ago.

picture.php

The plants on this light are 2 of each, Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra-F1 #1,2,3, White Northern, and MK-Ultra-F2. I bought some root-builder pots, I am not certain if I like these yet. It is annoying to put them together and they do not give you enough zip-ties to securely hold them. Also, the water drains out the sides a bunch and I feel they are 4 gallons and not 3 like they say.

I also have 4 plants in 3 gallon smart pots to see if there is something to these things. I also don't necessarily like these pots as they are weird to water. It always drains through the side where roots have poked holes, whenever I try to move them I have to carefully lift the pot by grasping the whole side, less I hear the cloth pull from the root ball and damage outer roots. Finally I don't like the feel of pushing dirt down in the cloth pot, similar to grow bags( I hate those too ). I generally know how tight to pack soil based on the resistance you get from a solid container, the cloth( soft ) containers are too pliable and fold and crease too much to easily pack dirt into.

These are the last pics of these plants as they grew a bit...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

These are the first 14/16 plants to replace the back light.

picture.php

These plants are many different kinds. Before I moved in June I acquired 3 clones from a mutual friend, they were called Haze 1, Snow White, and Blackberry. I got as much info as I could, but it was a friend of the mutual friend who actually ordered the clones. With a little research I found that all three strains come from Nirvana Seed Bank in the 'Dam. I never grew these before, but it is nice to know they come from somewhere a little respectable.

The strains here are Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra-F1 #2, MK-Ultra-F2, Snow White, Blackberry, Sensi Star, Sharksbreath, and White Northern.

picture.php

This is a pic of the 2000 watt soil garden.
picture.php

Lastly, one of the largest plants I grew, take a guess from above pics, was so large it's last 3-4 weeks of life was not even under direct light. I really wonder how big that plant could have been under direct light the whole time, maybe some other time I will try 5 gallon pots again.

Anyways, this plant grew so large with only indirect light a lot of the time, got me thinking... I wonder if I could grow a few extra oz's in the extra space next to my lights. My current garden has 4000 watts in a space for 6000. This gives me a good 3.5' x 7' free space to re-arrange and do what I want when working.

The three lights in a row do not have much space if any between them. The back two lights were left with a little( 10" ) space to work on them as they are in the back corner. In this space I have placed an old 3' mother in a 5 gallon pot. The plant was lollipopped about 1.5' up, transplanted, and all the tops were pinched 1-2 weeks before flowering. The plant grew to the light, literally, in about 2 weeks, I though pinching and such would keep it from stretching, but I was wrong...

Anyways, here she is.
picture.php

How many people have read Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke? There is a pic where he shows growing a plant like grapes with horizontal training of the branches, I thought I had to try at some point in my life, and it would fit in my extra 1' x 4' space between the lights. Anything I get off this plant is extra, and will make me feel better about the smaller harvest on the first soil run.

This is what I did to the plant when it was seemingly done stretching at 10-14 days of 12/12.
picture.php

This is the side shot of the plant, my buddy says it is very 2-dimensional looking, that was the goal!
picture.php

Lastly, I think this is the plant after a last tying and training which sort of "organized" the tops on the horizontal lines.
picture.php

Of the new plants, I am still feeding with solid organic fertilizer in some FFOF soil ammending with about 25% course perlite. The first 10 plants are in 3-4 gallon containers, for about 30 gallons of soil for the light. The plants were initially fed with Ancient Forest, Earthworm Castings, Indonesian Guano, and myco's. I am also feeding liquid in the form of Techniflora Soluble Seaweed Extract and Hygrozyme. I will also be ammending some lime to the soil for CaMg as needed and some marine cuisine for more veg nutes and micros if need be.

From the back 16 plants, 8 of which are on the last of the hydro-organics that was used before. This time I will adjust the ratios though for different plants by supplementing with liquid. From the previous run I now know what the earliest signs are for nutrient problems on that fertilizer. The other 8 plants are on a mixture of Ancient Forest, Earthworm Casting, Indonesian Guano, Marine Cuisine, and myco's.

That is all for now, the plants are at week 2 and 3 I believe, the middle plant is Afghan x MK-Ultra #9, she is fed on the hydro-organics as well as guano and whatever else I have that is good and soild.

I will update in a bit some of the pics from harvesting and trimming and such, they were crazy.

Peace all.

Big Update Part II

Big Update Part II

Hi again,

Here are the shots from harvesting, I thought I should show these, that is what it is all about.

The first are the Afghan x MK-Ultra #36 plants, the pots are modified 5 gal buckets. These plants were over 9.5 oz together, grown in 10 gallons of soil!.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is the Sensi Star plant, she came out at a little over 2 oz, which would be 18 oz / 1000 watt, which is more than I have gotten before on this pheno, always about 1 oz per foot of height though...

picture.php

picture.php

This is the Blueberry plant, she was 3 1/4 oz, which puts her at 28 oz per light. I really want to grow her more and more, she is amazing tasting, great high, and very large!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is the Afghan x MK-Ultra plant we called hellraiser due to its short stubby pistils( stigma's apparently ).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This next pic is the same cola with the bottle held behind it, if you look at the leaves, my hand and the bottle are touching the back of the cola, it was crazy thick...

picture.php

picture.php

The last thing about this plant is it was 8 oz for the two, but there was one which was 4.5 and the other only 3.5 oz. I am really astounded that I was able to grow 4.5 oz with only 3 gallons of soil. In the past, my grows always kinda stick the the rule of 1 oz/ gallon of medium. This was just over 1.5 oz/ gallon of medium which really makes me think I can get more than I have been with better nutrient and water practices.

picture.php

The next plants are Ninja Turtle x MK-Ultra-F1 #3, this plant is now being called "the foot clan" or "footy-pheno" or "the foot" from Ninja Turtles. It was called so as it is really stinky feet/musky basement smelling, with the classic 99% head buzz from the Ninja Turtle. The foot clans were consistently about 2.5 to 3 ounces, which only puts them at 18 oz/ 1000 watt, I have gotten 20 before many times from her. I am not sure what got messed up here, I think she was underfed compared to the other plants. I plan on accounting for this by adding more solid fertilizer later on this grow and supplementing with liquid as I see fit.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I still have another folder of pics to dig through, there may be a part III of the update, just some pics from chopping and big piles of weed and such...

Anyways, that is all for now, I will be updating other posts and such, I need to setup different days for different posts, so I can space out my work as opposed to doing everything on Thursday or Friday, which is usually my picture day.

Peace all, I think it is about time to medicate.

Big Update Part III

Big Update Part III

Hi,

Sorry for the triple post, I guess I didn't have that many extra great pics, but here are some of the hellraiser plant all chopped up.

I think the larger of the two plants was the one which was getting blown directly on by the fans. This plant developed a lot of purple on its leaves, almost all of them. Also, I think it had much better CO2 as the fresh cold air blew directly on that plant before others...

picture.php

picture.php

The last pic here really shows the final color after drying.

picture.php

That is really all for now on this thread until something interesting happens or I get bored and take some more pics of the developing plants.

Peace, it really is time for that blunt...

Ninja Turtle is an heirloom plant which I acquired through a private source. These versions and most around are breed with MK-Ultra and other things since.