What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger and Malawi vertical grow

Hoots

Hows it going the day?

Thought I would post up some pictures of my indoor grow that has just started.

Had some troubles to myself already, killing off quite a few different seeds in germination due to excess heat. The ones that jumped first escaped and a few left over came up later.

Heres one of two Malawi feminised that survived the unfortunate smelting accident,
picture.php

I kept the first Malawi and 5 Golden tigers in these peedie pots for about 11 days under 250w 14hrs light.
The Tigers got a bit loopy, I hadn't been PHing the water at this point.
picture.php

The Malawi wisnae fussed at all,
picture.php

Repotted into 0.5l pots with mp compost, worm castings, bone meal and myco. Tigers MUCH happier.
They were under the lamp at this point (the towels are to add more humidity not for sunbathing!)
picture.php

Tall plant is a mekong ganja

Switched to vertical 400w about Day18 still at 14hrs of light. This is my first grow vertically, plan to change to a 600w soon and then both as they get bigger.

Mekong hasn't been as happy with the change to vertical but the tigers and malawi have slowed there stretching and growing branchs well.

Heres the Malawi just before repotting to a 3l pot Day 24
picture.php

Knocked the lights down to 13.5hrs the next day.

The rest of the photos are from 2 days ago at Day 27
Malawi1
picture.php

Malawi1
picture.php

Malawi1
picture.php

Malawi1
picture.php

Heres the second malawi fem, a week or to younger(can't remember at moment)
picture.php

Heres a Golden tiger,
picture.php

More photos of them next time, but the Malawi is stealing the heart frae me.

One male just showed tonight on a Tiger some of the others are just starting preflowers.

Slowly drop the hours down to 12 over the next few weeks and hopefully sort out the lads from the lassies.

Heres the magic circle,
picture.php

Quite new to growing and apart from one small grow years ago it has just been one grow in and one out this year so really looking forward to how this develops.

And more importantly I have never knowingly smoked a true sativa so I am hoping for a nice treat later this year.

Oh aye, and to further great relations between Spain and Scotland heres one of my favourite pipers playing down in Pola de Siero, Asturias, Spain
on the Border pipes( smaller cousin to the Great Highland Pipes)

Cheers Ace
:tiphat:

Very healthy start indeed Hoots. I will be watching your Malawis closely. Possibly more available soon I think. Positive vibes!!:jump:

U

unthing

Great project, really interesting to see how it develops. Very nice choice of strains :)

newhousegreen

-.-
Veteran
This seems nice to me,but iam a little bit nervous about the number and the size of plants...Yes,you can suppose a nice sativa growth but on the other hand,you can break the excess top/s anytime.

And maybe i missed it.Do you know the males?

Nothing against your style of growin...i wish you only the best.But sometimes its better to wait,make a plan,follow it and study.

maybe,i will not write this if i did not have a vertical grow experience with 400 wattes,malawi/chronic strain and finally poor results,behind me.

nhg

Hoots

Very healthy start indeed Hoots. I will be watching your Malawis closely. Possibly more available soon I think. Positive vibes!!:jump:
Cheers Builtaforest, really loving the growth and branchiness of the malawi, makes me even keener to get hold of some regular seeds. Cracking plant!

Great project, really interesting to see how it develops. Very nice choice of strains :)

Hi Unthing, it is great to be trying some of Aces breeding wonders. I have really enjoyed reading the threads on this site and am REALLY looking forward to sampling some of their work:smoke:

This seems nice to me,but iam a little bit nervous about the number and the size of plants...Yes,you can suppose a nice sativa growth but on the other hand,you can break the excess top/s anytime.

And maybe i missed it.Do you know the males?

Nothing against your style of growin...i wish you only the best.But sometimes its better to wait,make a plan,follow it and study.

maybe,i will not write this if i did not have a vertical grow experience with 400 wattes,malawi/chronic strain and finally poor results,behind me.

nhg

Hows it going Newhousegreen,

Appreciate your concern and your own experience,

I am not clear though, do you think I have to many and to big or not enough and to small?

My last grow was a scrog and grew this along with 5 smaller females.

Garwhali jungli, a VERY wild pheno,
picture.php

Scrogging was a really good way to deal with large plants and I could see how with a bit more experience quite large yields could be had.

My reason for going vertical was mainly curiosity and to explore its potential and because I also hope it will make it easier to deal with larger numbers of plants in the early stages.

Yield isn't to important at the moment, growing challenging plants, exploring the diversity of this fine plant and finding a strian or two that suits my temperament is my goals, and if the plants are happy then so am I:)

Happy for any advice, my goals are clear but so much is new to me that I hope to stay as fluid as possible as events progress.

So far only one male has shown, took some cuttings last night and plan to remove males once cuttings have taken, hoping to make some F2 if things go well.

Started doing a wee bit o training on them last night, I'll get some more pics up in the next few days.

Cheers.

newhousegreen

-.-
Veteran
@hoots:

I meant that you have some space and as i see,it is not well used for me.I think growing vertical isnt easy and if you want to be "succesful" or do not want to waste your electricity,there is better to let it overgrow more.Yes,i see you have a low roof,but the good things with sativas,is that you can break almost as you like.Plant will always deals with it.)

But there is chance that there will be big amount of branches and buds aswel.I do not have that many experiences with sativas.But some seedbanks,recommends one month of grow for sativas:)
You can find it on Ace and cbg web site also.)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome Hoots :) and thanks for trust in our genetics for your next grow!

They are looking good despite the initial problems ... i think it would be good to use a lamp reflector to focus better the light in the right direction and to check ph in your water, looking at your space maybe is better to prune them and let them branch horizontally, just like your past Garwhali grow (btw ... looks real wild :) probably more suitable for outdoor growing).

You can light better your sativa plants horizontally so they receive strong uniform light to develop good flowers all over the plant, not just the top.

Malawi and golden tiger are very suitable for horizontal SCROG indoor grows and agressive topping. Let me know if you have any doubt, will try to help you all i can in the future updates. Best wishes!

Hoots

@hoots:

I meant that you have some space and as i see,it is not well used for me.I think growing vertical isnt easy and if you want to be "succesful" or do not want to waste your electricity,there is better to let it overgrow more.Yes,i see you have a low roof,but the good things with sativas,is that you can break almost as you like.Plant will always deals with it.)

But there is chance that there will be big amount of branches and buds aswel.I do not have that many experiences with sativas.But some seedbanks,recommends one month of grow for sativas:)
You can find it on Ace and cbg web site also.)

Cheers Newhousegreen for clarifying.

I had hoped to have more plants if they they had all germinated, I have some more started at the moment.

Gonna have to do some smoking and thinking as yourself and Dubi seem to be in agreement about horizontal being a better way for these plants.:thinking:

Welcome Hoots :) and thanks for trust in our genetics for your next grow!

They are looking good despite the initial problems ... i think it would be good to use a lamp reflector to focus better the light in the right direction and to check ph in your water, looking at your space maybe is better to prune them and let them branch horizontally, just like your past Garwhali grow (btw ... looks real wild :) probably more suitable for outdoor growing).

You can light better your sativa plants horizontally so they receive strong uniform light to develop good flowers all over the plant, not just the top.

Malawi and golden tiger are very suitable for horizontal SCROG indoor grows and agressive topping. Let me know if you have any doubt, will try to help you all i can in the future updates. Best wishes!

Hi there Dubi,

Cheers for the advice.

Hope you had a fine time on your holidays:skiiing:

So do you think that if I was to top them at around there fourth set of branches(they are at there eighth set at the moment) and changed to a horizontal scrog instead that this would be a better way to go?

Heres a picture of them this evening,
picture.php

Most of them are now at Day35 with the lights at 13 hours of light. Malawi has just shown some preflower pistils.

Welcome Hoots :) ...just like your past Garwhali grow (btw ... looks real wild :) probably more suitable for outdoor growing).

Aye that was a good lesson in not giving a landrace a big pot really early on!:)
subscribed
what breeder is the malawi?

Hi ftsig good to have you around.

It is Aces feminised malawi that I am growing.

Right now for that smoke.:smoke:

F

ftsig

Hi ftsig good to have you around.

It is Aces feminised malawi that I am growing.

i cant find it being sold by ace , maby thay have run out of them. i was looking for a malawi seed to grow but ace dosent come up anywere with it. I am now in flowering with african buzz by seedsman witch is suposed to be malawi but to be honest i am not sure considering thay cost allmost nothing. thay are regs , i have 3 and i just turned them 3 days ago so i dont know ther sex yet. all 3 are very strong and healthy with huge sativa leafs,thay look alot like yours. i am looking for a sativa that is like the greek landrace we have here but we have no name for it and it is vanising and it is very dificalt to find. it is very possible it was brought from afrika because we are quit near and we have hot weather. from the look of them thay could make the match, but the quality of high will be the judge of that. it is a low thc sativa high but it lasts for many hours in the same strengh.:tiphat:

nukklehead

Cheers Builtaforest, really loving the growth and branchiness of the malawi, makes me even keener to get hold of some regular seeds. Cracking plant!

Hi Unthing, it is great to be trying some of Aces breeding wonders. I have really enjoyed reading the threads on this site and am REALLY looking forward to sampling some of their work:smoke:

Hows it going Newhousegreen,

Appreciate your concern and your own experience,

I am not clear though, do you think I have to many and to big or not enough and to small?

My last grow was a scrog and grew this along with 5 smaller females.

Garwhali jungli, a VERY wild pheno,
picture.php

Scrogging was a really good way to deal with large plants and I could see how with a bit more experience quite large yields could be had.

My reason for going vertical was mainly curiosity and to explore its potential and because I also hope it will make it easier to deal with larger numbers of plants in the early stages.

Yield isn't to important at the moment, growing challenging plants, exploring the diversity of this fine plant and finding a strian or two that suits my temperament is my goals, and if the plants are happy then so am I:)

Happy for any advice, my goals are clear but so much is new to me that I hope to stay as fluid as possible as events progress.

So far only one male has shown, took some cuttings last night and plan to remove males once cuttings have taken, hoping to make some F2 if things go well.

Started doing a wee bit o training on them last night, I'll get some more pics up in the next few days.

Cheers.

You did a great job Hoots keep up the good work..!! I got hold of a bush like that in the 70's:laughing: (sorry couldnt resist.. no really it did look like that...)

Hoots

Nice room Hoots!

:tiphat:

You did a great job Hoots keep up the good work..!! I got hold of a bush like that in the 70's:laughing: (sorry couldnt resist.. no really it did look like that...)

Aye wild gardens are rare these days, everyone likes to keep there bushes well pruned, makes it far easier to see the fruit tho :whistling:

And talking of pruning,
picture.php

So after much :thinking: and lots of :smokeit:and even more :dancer:there came the,

The Night Of The Long Knives,

So much respect to Newhousegreen for sowing the seeds of doubt and to Dubi for steering me clear,

:thank you:

Here they are just after the beheading,
picture.php

This was three nights ago. I left the two confirmed males be as I will remove them soon, wonder what they would make of a Highland autumn outside?

They are under a 600w and I will turn the 400w on soon.

This is them last night,
picture.php

All are responding well.

Started to build individual screens on each plant which I can add to as they get bigger.
picture.php

I will leave them a bit longer under 13hrs of light.

Debating whether to pot up again. If I understand right they should be potted up into big pots a few weeks into flowering so I might give them a little more soil to see them through to this point.

:)

SuperConductor

Veteran
How's it goin? Nice grow, you still going with vertical lights? Dinnae listen tae the naysayers, vert can help with keeping plants low. They tend to not grow much past the light so use that fact to keep them in line. You'll want to think about constructing a screen to stop them getting too close to the light tho and also a fan to sit pointing up at the lights (like this https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=117026 ignore me if you already do this) Loving the selection very interested in that malawi, keep up the good work!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Yeah very nice Hoots! :)

Looking very healthy at this point and easier to tame! I'd wait and re pot again when they have finished the initial stretching of flowering, love the room full of sativas branches :D

Please, keep us updated, i personally believe the grow is better focused now.

Hoots

How's it goin? Nice grow, you still going with vertical lights? Dinnae listen tae the naysayers, vert can help with keeping plants low. They tend to not grow much past the light so use that fact to keep them in line. You'll want to think about constructing a screen to stop them getting too close to the light tho and also a fan to sit pointing up at the lights (like this https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=117026 ignore me if you already do this) Loving the selection very interested in that malawi, keep up the good work!

Hi SuperConductor,

I am impressed with the benefits of vertical growing but I was going about it a bit half-arsed. I think your link shows this well.

I think I need to do a bit more research before tackling vertical again.

Would be quite nice to change the name of the thread but I'm not sure how.

Very nice hoots!

Cheers jaded1

Ever try tomato cages?

Don't think I've ever seen a cage for tomatoes, I shall have to google this!

Yeah very nice Hoots! :)

Looking very healthy at this point and easier to tame! I'd wait and re pot again when they have finished the initial stretching of flowering, love the room full of sativas branches :D

Please, keep us updated, i personally believe the grow is better focused now.

Aye focused is the word, cheers Dubi.

I'd already given them a few more litres of soil each before I read your post so hopefully they won't go to crazy!

So update next,

Hoots

DAY 48, now under 12.5hrs of light having started at 14hrs.

Amazing plants, cheers Ace:thank you:

Topping didn't phase them in the least, I also had a fan problem one night and temps hit 40c for a short time and this didn't bother them either!

Just as impressive is that I took the two largest untopped males outside on sunday, and they have spent two nights out in rain, wind and 8c temps at night and still look fine.

Here they are on sunday, an unusually warm day to ease them in.
picture.php

Same soil and light, one in a 3l and the other in a 2l.

Lovely to see them in real light, don't know how they will do but as long as they are not suffering to much they can grow as they like. Would be lovely to see some male flowers outside, probably wishful thinking tho as another Nor-westerlie gale is blowing in tonight:yoinks:

Here they are inside 2 nights ago just before being tied down again,
picture.php

Final figure for the golden tiger is 4 males and 4 females:jump:, perfect spread.

I'm noticing some of the GT's are taller and leggier and some short and more branchy.

Heres one of the taller females GT1,
picture.php

And the other tall one GT4,
picture.php

GT5 is one of the branchy ones and the most vigorous, really keen to flower,
picture.php

And GT6 is the other branchy one, younger than the others,
picture.php

The oldest malawi is stotter,
picture.php

She would be great to grow as a big one plant scrog- just fantastic:),

Really really branchy, and eager to flower.
picture.php

They share the space with the only mekong ganja that survived the germination disaster, but shes a she,
picture.php

Here they all are after tying, two untopped males in front, just before turning on the 400w to add to the 600w,
picture.php

And as a balm to the eyes after the yellow light,
picture.php

:smoke: