What's new

Question for Trimmers...

Question for the people on here who trim to supplement their income.

Is it standard to wait for 2-3 months or even more before you get paid? Some people say that's the industry standard, others laughed and said hell no, but some of them got paid in product.

For those getting paid in cash, how long after you worked for a certain job did it take you to get compensated for it?

thx

mad librettist

Veteran
I don't care what kind of job you are doing, if you are not profit sharing you should not be asked to wait to get paid. That's just a plain unfair labor practice that exposes a trimmer to risk only investors should take.
What if these people go out of business tomorrow?

If you are waiting to be paid, you should be getting a cut, not a wage.

Only a complete dumb ass would wait more than a minute after they were done to get paid.

The funniest thing is I was treated like a complete noob for merely asking when I might get paid after a few weeks...like I was being a pain in the ass who had no clue.

Its not like I said " Hey, I want my money", I just said "Any idea when you think I can get paid" since I owe Uncle Sam a cool grand and get fined if I don't send at least a little money every month.

Oh well...live and learn. Like the guy says in "Bronx Tale", forget it, you got off cheap. Better to know someone is a flake for a few bucks than waste any more of your life worrying about them.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
if you didn't get paid already, I wouldn't count on getting it..... chalk it up as a business/ethics lesson

mad librettist

Veteran
The funniest thing is I was treated like a complete noob for merely asking when I might get paid after a few weeks...like I was being a pain in the ass who had no clue.

Its not like I said " Hey, I want my money", I just said "Any idea when you think I can get paid" since I owe Uncle Sam a cool grand and get fined if I don't send at least a little money every month.

Oh well...live and learn. Like the guy says in "Bronx Tale", forget it, you got off cheap. Better to know someone is a flake for a few bucks than waste any more of your life worrying about them.

this is someone you know?

seems to me word would get around fast if someone was making a habit of swindling trimmers. seems to me that person would get busted incredibly fast.

R

Rysam

I have one guy I trim for that gets "credit" for a few weeks/months. he's an old tightwad hippie that is stuck in his ways and wont part with cash until he offs a bit of stash. He always comes through and has for many seasons. I know and accept the risk.

There isnt a shit of a chance in hell I would do that for anyone else.

Trust In God, everyone else pay cash.

MIway

Veteran
Well, you know... it's gotta get sorted & weighed, then packaged, then labeled, then into storage until it can get sold, then possibly on the front so have to wait for the cash flows to clear up, then there's rent & power on the next crop, plus the reup in supplies... and the cash has to get laundered so it's clean by the time it gets back to you... so, ya know... couple 3 months or so... will definitely give you a call by the next chop for the help though, guaranteed. You da man, thanks for working with us here... ;-)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I know a trimmer who actually asks to get paid later. He takes a product percentage, he's autistic like me and no stress to hurry on a percent basis. Anyway, he picks his percentage and marks the buds as his. He picks them up much later when they are done.
Other than him everybody is cash and carry. Although very few take cash.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Question for the people on here who trim to supplement their income.

Is it standard to wait for 2-3 months or even more before you get paid? Some people say that's the industry standard, others laughed and said hell no, but some of them got paid in product.

For those getting paid in cash, how long after you worked for a certain job did it take you to get compensated for it?

thx

When I worked on a trimming crew we got paid at the end of each day, mostly in herb, sometimes in cash.

How much of a difference does it make that he is getting the trimming done for someone else in exchange for the larf and leftovers he makes into hash?

Am I the only who seems to meet people growing dozens of plants, or making lbs of hash, and yet still claim to not have much cash available?

The guy I worked for usually does pay eventually...he actually claims to pay quicker than anyone, lol. Lost track of about 10 hrs of work I did last time so obviously I'm done dealing with him though...

jackmayoffer

Veteran
$200 a lb we always pay when the lb is turned in at the end of the day. Thats crazy I see a day or two but a couple months is bull shit..