What's new

Newbie in a 4'x4' tent with 600 watts. Yellowing plants and some brown spots.

This is my first grow and so I will try to stay on top of any problems that may arise. Here are the plants that sprouted 9 days ago from seed. One has brown spots on two of the leaf tips, some plants' leaves seem to have a slight hue of yellow to them, and other plants have completely healthy looking leaves. I am using 3 parts Pro-mix to 1 part perlite. I plan to switch to an LC mix with pro-mix, castings, dolomite lime, and perlite. I wish I would have started in such a mix, but now I guess I'll just have to put the plants in that mix when I re-pot. I have not yet done any feeding to the plants in their pro-mix and perlite. Temps are at 75-78 and humidity a bit low at 31-37 Please advise me on the light yellow hue to some of the lower leaves and most importantly the brown spots on the tips of the two leaves in the first picture. I have watered with tap water that has sat out 24 hours. Here are the eleven plants:

Thanks for any help!

E

Eazytoke

I don't use pro-mix but my first reaction is they look over watered a little. Other than the first pic with the greyish spots they all look fairly healthy. Until someone comes along more knowledgeable them myself I would let them dry out a fair bit. And if I'm not mistaken pro-mix has no nutritional value so when they do need water next a light dose of nutes would do them some good.

When I first started soil growing and using solo cups I would use a digital scale to weigh my cups until I was comfortable with the lift method. If I remember correctly my cups when dry would weigh in about 130-140 grams.

your trippin ninja... they're fine give em 5th strength nutes ever other water and ya let them dry out a bit in between waterings are they under a 600w?

F

ForbiddenFruit

Don't worry Barry, PLANT RESCUE MAN, is here.

All you need to do is regulate the amount of water you are currently giving them. Cut your watering in half, things should improve.

Thanks for the advice! Yes it's a 600 watt MH. I thought that the drooping might be caused by over watering as it's a common mistake for rookies like myself and I've read that's the most common symptom. After taking and looking at the pictures, I am mainly concerned about that first plant's brown spots. I'm thinking the yellowing of the leaves is partly my imagination. I guess I will let them dry out and then water with a tea of 1 cup earthworm castings, 5 tsp molasses, and 5 gallons of water.

that brown is probably burn bro the seeds do not need that light yet just some small lighting real close

a couple cfl or t5's or a t8 something not h.i.d that you can put close so they dont stretch out on you witch blows trust me just did it just learned myself =)

E

Eazytoke

I wouldn't worry about the first plant with the spots. The next set of leaves look fine so they'll most likely just grow on without further spots popping up.

My fist set of leaves on seed plants always seem to have some kind of problem or other. I just ignore it unless they start showing up on later sets.

Here are my plants after moving to 3 gallon buckets of LC's mix #2. 3 parts pro mix bx, 1 part worm castings, 1 part perlite, and 2 tablespoons per gallon of dolomite lime. I waited for them to dry out and transported them to the buckets. I discovered that they were all root bound. Roots were bunched up at the bottom of the cups. Could this have caused the yellowing on the bottom leaves? I also raised the light a foot or so from where I had it because it was suggested that it might be burning the plants.

You can see in the pictures that I have the buckets on aluminum trays to drain. After the water finishes coming out of the bottom, I empty all the trays. Should I put the buckets on rocks in the trays to ensure the drain fully? Do you think the plants are ready for normal veg feeding? It has been 2 weeks since the sprouted. Here are my plants and my setup:

turn it down all the way and get it closer to minimize stretch be careful not to close tho dont wanna burn em i think the yellow leaves just got wet and same with that brown spot just got splashed and the light burned it pretty sure

its all up to you what you want to do you might want to wait and top them a few times so there is something to lst and to see whats male unless they are fems

E

Eazytoke

I think you potted up too soon but as long as you're careful with your watering you should be ok. My process for growing in soil with seed or clone is pretty much the same. I start out in the solo cup for about 10-14 days, transplant to 1 gallon for 3-4 weeks, then transplant into the 3 gallon. Sometimes I put them straight into flower at this when the veg room is full but I like to veg for an additional week or so in the 3 gallon before dropping them into flower.

Also, being that it's your first grow I would just grow them normally and don't bother with topping or LST. Just grow the plants and see how it all goes. This of course is dependent on your grow space.

Latest posts

Latest posts