What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pistils and calyxs the THC:CBD ratio

devilgoob

Veteran
Do the pistils differ in any way their resin contents (terpenoids, psychoactive or not) as compared to the calyxes beside the hairs?

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I've smoked bowls of straight up only pistils before, it was tasteless/ super harsh burned extremely quick and i'm not sure it got me high fwiw

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
under a 100X handheld microscope, the pistils (RED HAIRS) have little to no stalked capitate trichomes.
not sure if THC and CBD are even produced in the same type of trichome, since sessile trichomes are abundant on most parts of the plant, (ie: stalks, stems, leaves...) there may be an correlation that i'm unaware of.
it's my assumption that no capitate trichomes, no THC (does not preclude CBD).

spurr

Veteran
@ devilgoob,

Can you please define what you are stating? You are mixing up terms so it's had to understand what you are asking.

Most cannabis growers think "pistils" are the 'hairs' (i.e., stigma/style), however, a pistil is the is stigma, style and ovary. Basically, a pistil of cannabis inflorescence is what you get if you remove a calyx, exposing the pistil.

If you smoke a pistil, you are not smoking the trichomes that are located on the sepals, i.e., the calyx, nor the trichomes located on inflorescence (flower) bracts. However, I very highly doubt you smoked a pistil.

What you did smoke I have no idea, I'm confused as to what you have smoked. If you mean stigmas, when you write "pistil", then yes, they lack cannabinoids found in glandular trichomes.

Here is a thread I wrote, with pics, that may help you:
Inflorescence Anatomy: bract vs. calyx
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=216413
Here ya go, these images may help you, the red text are my edits:

picture.php

picture.php

spurr

Veteran
On that topic: years ago a good study found THC (by mg per trichome head; testing drug bio-types) was highest when the trichomes were translucent, not amber and not clear. That point corresponds (generally) with the point at which the bulbous head of the trichomes stop 'expanding', or shortly thereafter. The same was found for CBD (testing non-drug bio-types), translucent trichomes were the peak of CBD quantity.

There of course could be some variables that could affect 'peak' harvest time for cannabinoids of interest, but generally the harvest time I described above is the best goal.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
A year or so back I took a harvest and shook most of the stigma's into a container, about 10 grams of brown hairy stuff. It gave me a feeble sativa high if just a little was smoked, smoking a great deal of it gave me a feeble sativa high that lasted longer. Not worth the trouble to me so I don't separate them anymore.