What's new

Lighting Question - I'm so confused!

NorthStar1440

I have a small cabinet hydro grow being lit by a pair of 125w 6500k CFL bulbs. Currently in 24 hr growth stage. I have a pair of 200w 2700k CFL bulbs that I planned on using at the 12/12 stage.

Would it be better to use the 2700k bulbs for both stages or should I stick to what I'm running.

The cabinet is 24" wide, 18" deep, and 36" high.

Thanks,
NorthStar

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Are those the actual wattages of the bulbs or the "estimated" wattage? For example, the 40w CFLs are rated to be "like 150w" incandescent bulbs.

If its' estimated wattage, I'd be running all 4 of them at once.

With only 36" of height, you won't be in veg long, anyway.

Rowdy420

I believe the 6500K are for vegging and the 2700K are for flowering, so yes you want to switch these to flower.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Ok. That being said.... I might be inclined to say that you should run one of each in veg and then run both 2700k in flower. Just for the increase in power. I always run a mixed spectrum in my CFL grows. I mix 2700k and 6500k for both veg and bloom. 2/3 ratio. (More 6500k in veg, more 2700k in bloom.)

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I used 200W 2700K CFL for both veg and flower no problem. Go with the extra lumens if you don't have any heat issues. I would imagine the extra lumens would more than compensate for the more "veg-friendly" spectrum on the lower-wattage lamps.

I still use it for vegging.

NorthStar1440

Thanks for the input guys... I think I'll go with a mixed setup during the veg stage. The box is a little small but my exhaust fan works well.

Ciao

someotherguy

Veteran
Yeah, um, well, not to beat the obvious but the 6500's, being 'blue', will promote tighter, shorter growth so with so little vertical space i'd probably not switch to the 2700's until after the 2 week stretch.

But like Anti said, using some red in veg and some blue in flower is the preferred option.

Peace, SOG