Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Static electricity and kif.

Thread Title Search    
 Static electricity and kif. Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #1

Static electricity and kif.

Hi. I haven't tried this yet, but I was wondering if anyone thinks this would work, or if it's totally useless. I tend to feel both ways.

Anyway..I was reading something about how some sandwich and ziplock bags have a static charge to them that tends to pull the resin from the bud and stick to the bag(sometimes fusing to it). Does anyone think this may work on a metal surface or something? Like running static through a metal plate, or a balloon rubbed on my hair or something(haha)? The kif already tends to stick to surfaces anyway when well broken up. Anyway...just figured I'd throw it out there for you guys. Thanks.

Last edited by gmb; 02-11-2006 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #2

bubble man's done it with much success. i think he said they used a screen with a glass/metal catching tray and used a balloon to get the static electric charge going underneath and that it would "suck down" the kif, like the vacuum cleaner trick.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Chiefsmokingbud
Slap-A-Ho tribe

Chiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud of
Yeah it works.My okief tumbler comes with a vinyl catching insert that you can charge with a balloon ,and as the pollen hits it it separates pretty well. I learned this by sheer accident

~~~Big buds and MoNsTer colas~~~

Butane honey oil for dummies
~~Pain free hash making made easy~~
Chiefsmokingbud is offline   Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #4

That's great. I've got to get to work on one. A little homemade one to play around with. Maybe something like a stashbox, but with the static charge on top, and close to but not touching the herb.
I'm kind of dissapointed though. I mean, I admit that I didn't research the forums for this(like i should have), but I didn't expect that it would've already been done. Oh well..I'll see what I can come up with.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Sleestak

Sleestak has a spectacular aura aboutSleestak has a spectacular aura about
Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new static thread.

Looking for any input from people who have experimented w/static. Is it at all feasible as means to further refine sift? The contaminant particulates (say that 3x fast) are so tiny in 'pure' kif that I'd think they'd just stick to the trich heads and pretty much whatever else good stuff the static attracts.

Does static have anything over good ole freeze n card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
bubble man's done it with much success. i think he said they used a screen with a glass/metal catching tray and used a balloon to get the static electric charge going underneath and that it would "suck down" the kif, like the vacuum cleaner trick.
Any input bubbleman?
Sleestak is offline   Quote

Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
bubbleman
Bubble Ambassador

bubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivorbubbleman is a survivor
well let me try to explain what it was that i was doing.
I am not talking about cleaning dry sift using static like rubbing a ballon on your head and then gently moving the balloon over top of the spread thin dry sift .
I am talking about using a metal framed screen, with a plexi glass catch underneath> The plexi is key as it holds the charge.
You can charge up the metal frame, with the smallest amount of electricity, and this creates a static charge within the frame.
I dont exactly understand it, but the static creates patterns that are invisible to the eye, but as the dry sift falls thru the screen, the invisible static charge, collects the gland heads in small little mountainous piles, where as the contaminant, cystolith hairs and capitate stalks, etc, are shot outside these little piles, and create little circles around each pile.
I had photos of this from some time ago, but i have nooooo idea, where on my terrabyte harddrive they are, IF i find the pattern sh ots of the dry sift i will post them here.
But basicaly the little piles were very white, and melty, and the circular patterns around the piles were like smoking bowls of capitate stalks, burns like paper and gives no high.

My two cents.

Bubble man

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Sleestak

Thumbs up

VERY interesting.

appreciate the knowledge.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
horror business
Banned

horror business has a spectacular aura abouthorror business has a spectacular aura about
Maybe this the Skunkman's secret?
horror business is offline   Quote

Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #9
Sleestak

Sman sounded like he was working on something automated,, who knows maybe it does involve static. What bubbleman said is very intriguing to me either way. Wish I had a metal frame screen on hand. Wonder if plexi would hold enough charge to form the piles n rings on its own?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
SuperZero
I am a nobody, I just wanna be cool.

SuperZero has disabled reputation
Someone told me many years ago on OG to use a computer monitor, but like I said this was many years ago and LCD monitors were many hundreds of dollars so I bet they were talking about using a crt monitor. Said to use it with my framed silkscreens above, so the static electricity would pull suck it down onto the monitor glass; never tried it but I've thought about it quite often.
SuperZero is offline   Quote

Old 03-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Chiefsmokingbud
Slap-A-Ho tribe

Chiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud of
Food for thought. If you are using a vinyl sleeve or plexi glass, what will actually seperate is the small hairs and particles. It's the small particles that will be pulled by static from the good stuff

~~~Big buds and MoNsTer colas~~~

Butane honey oil for dummies
~~Pain free hash making made easy~~
Chiefsmokingbud is offline   Quote

Old 03-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
foomar
Luddite

foomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivorfoomar is a survivor
As trichomes have a narrow band of size and mass would seperateing dry material with variable static voltage and distance between plates be a useable method ?
Passing dry sieve over a charged baloon attracted tiny hairs and trichome stems to it but not whole trichomes , maybe a higher voltage potential would do this.
If a specific voltage could catch and hold the exact mass of an individual trichome then its just a design problem to sort out.

Have an electrostatic precipitator at work that seems to do it this way but with no seperation of particle size.
Could be an industrial machine on the market that does it already possibly in mineing or environmental control.
foomar is offline   Quote

Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
Clovenhoof

Clovenhoof is on a distinguished road
"If a specific voltage could catch and hold the exact mass of an individual trichome then its just a design problem to sort out."

Ya, maybe, but it isn't "just a design problem" i think. For my understanding, it is impossible to have a machine, that creates 100% pure kief.

For a working engine you have to adjust an equilibrium between the "attracting forces" and the "repelling forces" in this way, that only the dirt is being attracted and the resinheads are kinda repelled (better: unattracted, cause repelling and attracting forces are equal - in equilibrium. In an equilibrium there are no effective forces working, therefore nothing happens). The attracting force may be the electrostatic force F. [the following sentence is not necessary for understanding] F increases if the charge of the attracted particle increases, if the charge of the attracting particle (our "engine") increases and if the displacement between the attracted and the attracting charge gets shorter. The "repelling forces" in this case would be the mass inertia and static friction to the material it lays on. The higher the mass, the lower the attraction. So far so good, that is why we actually can separate to a distinct grade. But now there is the critical point. First we have to know the masses and charges of all of the participating particles to adjust an equilibrium that will force the dirt and only the dirt to adhere on our "engine" letting the pure kief untouched - which is merely impossible to know. But we can adjust by trial and error as for instance Bubbleman has done.
But second, the masses and charges probably differ. And if there is some dirt weighing heavier/being less charged than the resinheads it will only be attracted if the lower weighing/the higher charged heads are already attracted and thus removed. This is why we probably won't get 100% pure kief with this method.

What you can do (and I'm sure some of you already've done so) is to purify the kief to a distinct grade, where only small (small = light) particles are present and then use this method to further purify.
There still is the problem, that I don't know if lower weighing particles are less charged. Don't know how charge and mass are correlated, if they are. Maybe a physician can chime in and teach me :-)

Because i am not teached physics in english I cannot absolutely guarantee the correctness of my words. But the conclusion i draw might me true.

Last edited by Clovenhoof; 03-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: corrected some words
Clovenhoof is offline   Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
buddah
Life is one big grow........

buddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond reputebuddah has a reputation beyond repute
mhhh i wii try this
buddah is offline   Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Avinash.miles
Caregiver Extraordinaire

Avinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivorAvinash.miles is a survivor
i just got some 50 micron steel mesh and want to sift thru it and try to clean w static, anyone done this or have an actual METHOD, im all ears!!

Avinash.miles is offline   Quote