What's new

Potassium Bicarbonate (Green Cure)

FinestKind

Hi Everyone!

Is Potassium Bicarbonate in any way preventative (specifically for Botrytis,) or should I save the can of it I have for treatment? I'd love to get a jump on preventing it this year rather than treating it (like I end up doing every year)... I've been using a blend of Green Cure and Serenade, ever couple of weeks, at the max recommended strengths for each... any input would be great. Thanks!

FK

Last edited:

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Ive used Greencure for some time Finestkind and i know it pretty well. Greencure is an excellent product for cannabis and every single grower should be using it, but it is only effective if used as directed.

Greencure is a preventative product. If you use it prior to any disease or mould, you wont see disease or mould. If you wait until you see disease and mould, the Greencure is basically useless.

Greencure is excellent - no powdery mildew, no blight, no botryitis, but only if its used as a preventative treatment. It wont kill or really even controll the disease once your plant has it

FinestKind

Okay! "When used as directed..." what, specifically, do you mean? Timing and strength of dilution?

When do you start using it outdoors? Do you continue to use it during flowering? Do you think it will work in conjunction with Serenade? (which is a biological based fungicide, also preventative) Should it be reapplied after it rains? How often?

Thanks so much for the info...

FK

grapeman

Veteran
Greencure is a product of last choice. Used only if a problem arises close to harvest.

I've got better things to do then apply and re-apply a product over and over and over again.

There are much better fungicides to choose from, especially outdoors. Products that have an effective time of 21 to 28 days between applications.

Greencure cannot even come close to that, let alone greencure cannot prevent an infection when spore count is moderate to high as PM will overcome the weakness of the product.

Why would anyone use it unless it was absolutely necessary?

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Okay! "When used as directed..." what, specifically, do you mean? Timing and strength of dilution?

When do you start using it outdoors? Do you continue to use it during flowering? Do you think it will work in conjunction with Serenade? (which is a biological based fungicide, also preventative) Should it be reapplied after it rains? How often?

Thanks so much for the info...

FK

Ive already started Finestkind. In the last 30 days ive had 14 days with temps above 90 and 11 inches of rain. I have a jungle enviroment so im spraying.

I only use it during flowering if im having bad conditions with big buds. The dillution during flowering should be 1.25 tablespoons applied as needed. Strenghts above that will discolor the white hairs although the plant isnt harmed.

No. it should not be used in conjunction with serenade. The 2 will cancel each other out. Greencure prevents or kills fungus, Serenade IS active fungus.

Spray, spray, spray. Rain will wash it off so it it rains you have to reapply. I reapply just for the hell of it. If i go to the plants i spray them. If it doesnt rain, i spray every 7-9 days.

Spray in the morning if possible. dont spray in the heat of theday and if applied at night, dew may wash some of it off

Get a good covering on every surface, under leaves, stems, the ground and vegetation around the plant.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Greencure is a product of last choice. Used only if a problem arises close to harvest.

I've got better things to do then apply and re-apply a product over and over and over again.

There are much better fungicides to choose from, especially outdoors. Products that have an effective time of 21 to 28 days between applications.

Greencure cannot even come close to that, let alone greencure cannot prevent an infection when spore count is moderate to high as PM will overcome the weakness of the product.

Why would anyone use it unless it was absolutely necessary?

Im not sure what other fungicides you consider effective grapeman, but i hope you will share them with us. In the sticky above, "Guerillas with leaf spot", you will find that a number of us have researched this disease for several years now. Ive spoken with ag extension agents, nursery owners and professional gardeners as well as having read a dozen books and articles. If there are other products that are effective and safe, these experts, the gardening community at large and the documentation isnt aware of it. There are 2 products suggested and recommended by all entities: Greencure and LIquid Copper. I use the copper as well, but its a heavy metal and is toxic so many of us use it sparingly. Systemics are off the table for me. Serenade and actinovate are somewhat effective but are very expensive and are tough on the plant and inhibits growth. GC and LCopper are the only 2 fungicides ive found that dont limit plant growth.

There has bee a great deal of testing on Greencure in the traditional gardening circles. Its understood among that group of gardeners that the product is highly effective if used properly. I have found that to be true with the product in relation to cannabis. Applied thourougly, regularly and prior to infection, it is very effective

Here, unless you use a systemic that i wont use, youre going to be reapplying it becase its going to get washed off. I sprayed friday and yesterday i recieved 3" of rain. Im reapplying today, but as i say, anything but a systemic will be washed off so repeated applications are part of the grow.

grapeman

Veteran
Elite, Rally, Bayleton, Flint, Eagle, Pristine just off the top of my head.
All safe and all are systemic, which means they are absorbed into the plant and offer protection for 21 to 28 days, depending on pressure..... rain or not.

There is a thread here about eagle, since that seems easy enough to buy over the internet.

FinestKind

Im not sure what other fungicides you consider effective grapeman, but i hope you will share them with us. In the sticky above, "Guerillas with leaf spot", you will find that a number of us have researched this disease for several years now. Ive spoken with ag extension agents, nursery owners and professional gardeners as well as having read a dozen books and articles. If there are other products that are effective and safe, these experts, the gardening community at large and the documentation isnt aware of it. There are 2 products suggested and recommended by all entities: Greencure and LIquid Copper. I use the copper as well, but its a heavy metal and is toxic so many of us use it sparingly. Systemics are off the table for me. Serenade and actinovate are somewhat effective but are very expensive and are tough on the plant and inhibits growth. GC and LCopper are the only 2 fungicides ive found that dont limit plant growth.

There has bee a great deal of testing on Greencure in the traditional gardening circles. Its understood among that group of gardeners that the product is highly effective if used properly. I have found that to be true with the product in relation to cannabis. Applied thourougly, regularly and prior to infection, it is very effective

Here, unless you use a systemic that i wont use, youre going to be reapplying it becase its going to get washed off. I sprayed friday and yesterday i recieved 3" of rain. Im reapplying today, but as i say, anything but a systemic will be washed off so repeated applications are part of the grow.

Stitch says in her book that studies have shown that PB is more effective when used with a wetting agent and an oil- do you have an opinion about this one way or the other?

Also, is there a cheaper (and more readily available- I can only get it on the internet) form of PB than Greencure? Or does the other 15% of the formula that isn't PB help make it more effective? And, doesn't baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) do exactly the same thing? Or is there some other action in PB that makes it more effective?

EDIT: I found answers to many of these questions on the Greencure website, but would still like your take on it. (Greencure may be a touch biased about the efficacy of Greencure!) Apparently, the difference is in that 15%, which is a wetting agent, or a "sticker/spreader" as they call it... and they say it's 25 to 35% more effective than Sodium Bicarbonate- although it's like 500% of the price!

Thanks!

FK

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Me too ChynaRyder. I'm to worried about poisoning myself. No systemics on my plants. Cannabis is differnt than most other plants in that its smoked, not eaten and its not given a serious wash like tobacco is. I hate even using some of the surface applied products like Liquid Copper that i have to use. Uh uh no systemics for me..

:yeahthats

If you are going to use chemical pesticides, at least make sure they carry a food crop label...most of the listed products are labeled for turf and ornamentals only.

grapeman

Veteran
:yeahthats

If you are going to use chemical pesticides, at least make sure they carry a food crop label...most of the listed products are labeled for turf and ornamentals only.

Everything I listed has a food label. Most are 14 to 21 days to harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts