What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Boron toxicity in Cannabis: Images and Info

spurr

Veteran
After having a couple of discussions with a couple of ICmag'ers, I thought I would post a thread for a nutrient toxicity none of us had ever seen in cannabis: boron.

Below is my current nutrient test mix, I messed up in finding ppm of B from boric acid. When converting to decimal from percent I converted 17.48% to 0.01748. So, I recently used 7.09 ppm B, but I was trying to use ~0.86 ppm B. Boric acid, when mixed with water, provides B that is immediately available to the plants.

I should have used 0.015 g (15 mg) of boric acid per gallon, for a total of ~0.86 ppm, not 0.15 g (150 mg) of boric acid per gallon for a total of ~7.09 ppm.

The soilless solution pH is ~6.0-6.15 and EC was ~0.98 using PourThru method from North Carolina State University. The pH and EC readings accounted for water temperature.
picture.php

There are two expressions of B toxicity in plants: (1) yellowing and burn of leaf tips and edges in older leafs; and (2) die back of young leafs and meristem(s). The former is for plants were B is immobile and latter is for plants where B is mobile.

I am pretty sure B is immobile in cannabis, as it is for most species. For species where B is mobile, the plant produces polypols[1] and moves complex sugars (ex., sorbitol) through phloem[2]. I spent the past little while trying to find if cannabis produces polypols and moves complex sugars; I haven't found anything yet. If anyone has any info I would love to read up.

At this point I think B is immobile in cannabis, esp. because of the classic B-immobile toxicity symptoms my plants are showing. The only other thing it could be is my use of yucca extract, which has never done this, but I did use 3.5 ml/gal instead of 2.5 ml/gal.

Boron toxicity in plants not considered boron-tolerant often begins about 2 ppm. About 0.5-1 ppm B is a good goal for fertigation.

Boron is an anion, which means it is easily flushed from soilless solution. If the media has low AEC (anion exchange capacity), for example, due to lack of certain clays particles and powders, humus, etc.

Pics:

Toxicity symptoms for B-mobile plant (Ligustrum) and B-immobile plant (Strawberry):
picture.php

Concentration by ppm of B at various areas of leaf, for B-mobile Plant (Apple) and B-immobile plant (Walnut):
picture.php

Toxicity symptoms in alfalfa, a B-immobile plant:

picture.php

Toxicity symptoms in pistachio, a B-immobile plant:
picture.php

Deficiency symptoms in tomato, a B-immobile plant (by ppm):
picture.php

Leafs from my plants after 7 ppm B, it starts at older-middle leaves, not at very top and not at very bottom
(pics aren't the greatest, they are from my camera phone):

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

References:
[1] "Redefining Boron Toxicity Symptoms in Some Ornamentals"
Patrick H. Brown, Hening Hu and Warren G. Roberts
Slosson Report 95-98 1
(full text) http://slosson.ucdavis.edu/newsletters/Brown_199829071.pdf

[2] "Topic 5.1 Symptoms of Deficiency in Essential Minerals"
Wade Berry, UCLA
A Companion to Plant Physiology, Fifth Edition by Lincoln Taiz and Eduardo Zeiger
[Boron] http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=3&id=289

[3] "Chapter 12 Boron toxicity"
Ross O. Nable, Gary S.Banuelos, and Jeffrey G. Paull
Plant and Soil 193: 181–198, 1997
http://www.plantstress.com/articles/toxicity_i/boron.pdf

[4] "Boron Mobility and Consequent Management in Different Crops"
By Patrick H. Brown and Hening Hu
Better Crops/Vol. 82 (1998, No. 2)
http://www.back-to-basics.net/fertilityfacts/pdf_files/boron_mobility.pdf

[5] "Boron Toxicity Symptoms"
http://www.eplantscience.com/botani...ts_micronutrients/boron/toxicity_symptoms.php

Y

YosemiteSam

Thanks Spurr. Your little decimal point problem proved to be quite the interesting learning experience.

I find myself quite curious about micro nute levels. I am curious if the goal should be to merely supply enough to avoid deficiencies or if there is an advantage to playing around with amounts between deficient and toxic

Obviously the experiments need to be very well designed when mere 6 ppm errors make that much difference.

spurr

Veteran
Thanks Spurr. Your little decimal point problem proved to be quite the interesting learning experience.

No doubt. Good thing I've been growing long enough to realize my plants should be okay in a little bit, esp. new growth. So no need to stress over spilled milk.

I find myself quite curious about micro nute levels. I am curious if the goal should be to merely supply enough to avoid deficiencies or if there is an advantage to playing around with amounts between deficient and toxic

I think shooting for sufficient range is the best goal; but I haven't tested 'large' amounts of micros before.

Obviously the experiments need to be very well designed when mere 6 ppm errors make that much difference.

IMO such experiments need to be done with water culture, in net pots, so one can control very precisely the ppms given to the plant (via very frequent rez changes). I have a pretty good paper on this topic, and why using hydro (without substrate) is the best option.

I have been planing on recording (along with images) element deficiency and toxicity, for cannabis, from N all the way to Ni. I plan to use water culture and fertigation water (fertilizer) testing from rez to see what the plant is taking up and or converting, etc.

when i saw what i thought was boron toxicity it looked exactly like the strawberry pic, except the rust happened mid leaf, not on the tips.

curious to see more.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks from me also spurr :tiphat: :respect:

Please keep up the excellent work brother! :canabis:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so you would have a side by side plants right now??? any pics of that...then this would be even more intresting...

spurr

Veteran
when i saw what i thought was boron toxicity it looked exactly like the strawberry pic, except the rust happened mid leaf, not on the tips.

curious to see more.

By "mid leaf" do you mean along the middle of each leaf blade?

I am seeing the toxicity start at leaf tips, then move downward along the leaf edges to toward the petiole.

The strawberry pic was a very advanced stage of toxicity, and they used 25 ppm B, I only used 7 ppm B. Some of my weaker plants (i.e., poor seed strains of the cultivar GrapeGod, from Next Generation Seed Co.) look worse, more akin to the strawberry pic, than my healthier and more robust seed strains of GrapeGod.

I could take a few whole plant pics today, of the strains of GrapeGod with the worst toxicity, if you want to see more.

FWIW, I flushed them for the past two days with ~2.5 gallons RO water per each pot. I have ~18 pots, each is a 5 gal "Plant Warrior" (new type of air-pruning pot) which really holds ~4 gallon so media. After flushing for two days all the plants are looking better and seem to be recovering.

spurr

Veteran
so you would have a side by side plants right now??? any pics of that...then this would be even more intresting...

I could post a couple of side-by-sides, but all plants got 7 ppm B, so they all are exhibiting toxicity. Granted, some more than others. I could take a side-by-side of plants with light toxicity vs heavy toxicity symptoms ... but I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
wow. thanks again Spurr, another informative post...

i'll be interesed in some of the other nutrient def/toxicity results, particularly Aluminum.
i'll just park it here and surveil.

peace,
tr

spurr

Veteran
wow. thanks again Spurr, another informative post...

No worries, glad to help, it's learning experience for me too :)

i'll be interesed in some of the other nutrient def/toxicity results, particularly Aluminum.
i'll just park it here and surveil.

You may have to wait awhile, I don't have plans to carry out the deficiency and toxicity testing for at least two months.

:tiphat:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hello Spurr thanks for dropping them plants mate....a overall picture just say's more about a plant...whats realy weird that is is very similar to a magnesium dissorder
but i noticed a small diffrence in color on ya pics...decaying parts seem more redish at some points...
Nway the burnt tips always is a indicator you are over the line :)

George

:bump:

Sorry to bump a super old thread but this is of interest and quite contrary to the information provided here.

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.c...-fertilization-nutrition-deficiency-toxicity/

The claim is they tested boron and concluded/estimated cannabis can actually use 8-10ppm. This is from North Carolina State University, hard for me to imagine they are making mistakes such as publishing a 10-25x figure for B levels.

We know you found boron toxicity in your test but that doesn’t mean cannabis can’t use a lot more boron right unless there is some decimal point errors in their numbers. What if you added the other necessary elements that boron needs in order to use the additional boron? Supposedly you need additional N K and Ca before you can process the any additional boron.

Does that article change any opinions? Toxicity described by them is exactly as you describe and show so that’s established, but can we push our girls and produce larger plants and flowers by adjusting ratios to work with additional B? I bet. Anyone care to dive in on a 10 year old thread about B?

finchalex

By "mid leaf" do you mean along the middle of each leaf blade?

I am seeing the toxicity start at leaf tips, then move downward along the leaf edges to toward the petiole.

The strawberry pic was a very advanced stage of toxicity, and they used 25 ppm B, I only used 7 ppm B.

Some of my weaker plants (i.e., poor seed strains of the cultivar GrapeGod, from Next Generation Seed Co.) look worse, more akin to the strawberry pic, than my healthier and more robust seed strains of GrapeGod.

I could take a few whole plant pics today, of the strains of GrapeGod with the worst toxicity, if you want to see more.

FWIW, I flushed them for the past two days with ~2.5 gallons RO water per each pot.

I have ~18 pots, each is a 5 gal "Plant Warrior" (new type of air-pruning pot) which really holds ~4 gallon so media.

After flushing for two days all the plants are looking better and seem to be recovering.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
:bump:

Sorry to bump a super old thread but this is of interest and quite contrary to the information provided here.

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.co...ency-toxicity/

The claim is they tested boron and concluded/estimated cannabis can actually use 8-10ppm. This is from North Carolina State University, hard for me to imagine they are making mistakes such as publishing a 10-25x figure for B levels.

We know you found boron toxicity in your test but that doesn’t mean cannabis can’t use a lot more boron right unless there is some decimal point errors in their numbers. What if you added the other necessary elements that boron needs in order to use the additional boron? Supposedly you need additional N K and Ca before you can process the any additional boron.

Does that article change any opinions? Toxicity described by them is exactly as you describe and show so that’s established, but can we push our girls and produce larger plants and flowers by adjusting ratios to work with additional B? I bet. Anyone care to dive in on a 10 year old thread about B?

my main plot, 1000 sq feet, tested 3.2ppm B this spring, I was shooting for 7ppm B when I balanced the minerals need to send in a post harvest sample and see where it ended up.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 12.04.19 PM.png

I added 2.25#s of borax.
tried to raise Sulfur to 1000ppms to match K and P and added a shit ton of mn to get close to my Fe numbers. lots of copper and zinc too. my Calcium was at 81% and I bumped it to 85% per Slownickle.

quality is way up this year in terms of terps, flavor, and effects. growth was faster, less fungal and pest pressure. kind of shocked at how close it got to indoor quality and in some strains the quality was better than ins, Gelato and 91/SKVA crushed the gas over the ins.

picture quality it looks about the same as previous years but the mineral balancing was a massive improvement to quality. #ThanksSlow!

Patch2 9-19-21.JPG

aisle 9-16-21 copy.JPG

Josh D OGK

Josh D 10-7-21.JPG

Chaco's Gift

chacos myster.JPG

Chacos sour with trees.JPG

Forum GSC, this never got the flavor quality of the ins before but this year it's way dank!

forum cookies 10-11-21.JPG

my fungal is crushing too!
snapshot-2020-12-20_17-00-54.038.jpg

as above, so below...

2 heads.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey, you kicked ass this year, those plants look beautiful from all the good things you did for them. Thanks for sharing those with us. From my experience, the best natural source for boron comes from decomposing organic matter in the soil. Many, if not most, composted soils contain adequate boron for good plant development. Boron is extremely important because it's the starting nutrient for the nutrient chain sequence and if it missing none of the other nutrients will work. Thanks again😎

George

my main plot, 1000 sq feet, tested 3.2ppm B this spring, I was shooting for 7ppm B when I balanced the minerals need to send in a post harvest sample and see where it ended up.

I added 2.25#s of borax.
tried to raise Sulfur to 1000ppms to match K and P and added a shit ton of mn to get close to my Fe numbers. lots of copper and zinc too. my Calcium was at 81% and I bumped it to 85% per Slownickle.

quality is way up this year in terms of terps, flavor, and effects. growth was faster, less fungal and pest pressure. kind of shocked at how close it got to indoor quality and in some strains the quality was better than ins, Gelato and 91/SKVA crushed the gas over the ins.

picture quality it looks about the same as previous years but the mineral balancing was a massive improvement to quality. #ThanksSlow!

Josh D OGK

Chaco's Gift

Forum GSC, this never got the flavor quality of the ins before but this year it's way dank!

my fungal is crushing too!

as above, so below...

Damn i never come back to anything.

WOW great post dude!! That is exactly what i was hoping to see. Im encouraged to experiment with micros heavily now being that youre confirming the beliefs of how to work those ratios of micros and Ca/P/K to try and maximize growth and quality. I noticed when i added P without Ca i got huge stems but they were hollow stems. P is no good without Ca obviously and the system needs the boron to match. That was what really got me going when i saw the links. Its funny to see how deep the rabbit hole is.

Last edited: