What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6 Brand Filter Bag Review (Lots of Pics!)

Psuper

IN VERTICAL SPACE: The Filter Bag Review.

This is a unique, first-hand review of multi-stage liquid filtration bags (ice hash bags!) from six (6) different manufacturers. I have hands-on experience with two brands and four other companies very generously sent out sets of their filter bags for this no-strings-attached online review.

picture.php

We're looking at 20 liter/5 gallon size bags but all these companies also make larger sizes.

This thread is an attempt to convey my impressions in an unbiased manner; an attempt to objectively determine and present outstanding features or outstanding flaws of various bags. Now, that being said, it shouldn't surprise anyone that I didn't get any low-quality bags sent to me for review. All six brands included here have strong mesh (thicker monofilament thread diameter = stronger mesh) sewn into them, great customer service, and could replace a defective/flawed bag should you receive one (this is not as uncommon as some think!). It's a load off your mind to go with a reputable vendor that stands behind their product.

Different bags have different features; the price may not be the determing factor if you want something specific. Only bags falling inside of a "high-end" price range are going to have thick fabric with metal eyelets, for instance, or reinforced handles.

A bags fabric can be soft or it can be rigid-- Perhaps you prefer one over the other? Often bags are nylon fabric which is plastic-coated on the inside. But some rigid-walled bags are coated on the inside and out. Easy way to look at this is using these categories: soft, medium, or rigid fabric; that fabric is often nylon but some bags are covered totally in a plastic coating instead of just on the inside.

The mesh filter on the bottom of the bag can be sewn into the bag in a "standard" style (sewn flat on bottom) or "side-walled" (extending a little up a bags' side). Some sets (including two in this review) use side-walled bags only for the final bag in the set you're using, so you get both styles in a single set.

A huge thank-you to the individuals and companies that contributed bag sets for this review!

THE FILTER BAG REVIEWS:

Ice-O-Lator/Bubbleator Bags

The original commercially available ice hash bags. Top-quality, soft and pliable bags. Beautiful fabric that holds the proper shape in the right bucket.

picture.php

The 20 liter/ 5 gallon sized Ice-O-Lator, available in up to a 7-
bag set, is offered in eight different micron (
μm) sizes:

220µm
185µm (size is unique to this company)
120µm
90µm
70µm
45µm
38µm (size is unique to this company)
25µm

I was impressed first with the looks and also with the top quality mesh in the set I received, especially the mesh in the 220 bag. Iam told that the most popular set of Ice-O-Lators is the 3-bag, 220-70-38 set. But you can also ask for custom sets when ordering. Two unique filter sizes in the set.

picture.php

Most of the available sizes are a "standard" build, with the mesh filter only on the bottom, but the smallest sizes have a side-wall mesh, as shown below.

picture.php

Besides offering a whole bunch of other products, the Pollinator website is a wealth of information(!), certainly worth reading. The company's owner, Mila, is a literal pioneer in the field and does a lot to expand hash making knowledge, and really, who doesn't want an original Pollinator in their lives?

Special mention for the super-smooth seams along the screens; great workmanship.

Ready to have your plastic bucket world blown apart? Okay....these folks have even made Ice-o-lators to fit a small kiddy pool with a diameter of 2.5 meters (8.2 ft).

Neato EZ-Flow Bags

WestCoastGrowers is a California based hydroponics store that has created it's own line of post-harvest products, which includes NEATO EZ-Flow Bags (w/ sidewalls) and the original NEATO Bags (w/o sidewalls). Rigid nylon and sturdy walled bags with reinforced stitching all over; these bags are built like a parachute harness, you could entrust your life to the bags' fabric if it ever comes to that; could probably get a NASA endorsement if they asked. The 25 micron bag has metal eyelets and these guys even make their own hanging straps.

picture.php

220µm
170µm (size is unique to this brand)
160µm
120µm
90µm
73µm
45µm
25µm

Neato Bags are a few dollars cheaper than some other high-end quality bags and can also be purchased with a hand-press for a little more off if you're in the market.

picture.php

The seam around the side-walled bags is muck thicker fabric than different brands. I was surprised and thought at first maybe it was perhaps too thick, but when placed in a bucket it holds the bags shape perfectly.

picture.php

The whole bag fits perfectly in a bucket, it's even a little surprising how well thick bags like this can hold the right shape once in a bucket of the right size.

WestCoastGrowers is way knowledgable and super-helpful; made sure I had there phone number in the first e-mail for any questions. WCG delivers what they're promising.
Inside of the bag has a very tough coating and special mention for the very strong thread used for all the stitching.

Sprung Bags

Sprung Bags offers up to six different screen sizes in a flexible, medium-rigidity fabric bag. Not "soft" fabric, but still nice and pliable.

picture.php

I received a 6-bag set in the mail and immediately checked out the screens and flipped the bags inside out so I could make a mental list of what sets a "value" set apart from any high-end set I've seen. I thought perhaps I'd see poor-quality mesh in the bags' screens, or bunched-up fabric in the seams in sets that fall in the low price-range for bags. Perhaps I would have seen that had any other low-priced filter bags agreed to contribute to this. But this was not the case with Sprung Bags-- the stitching and filter mesh are of the same quality as flashier sets.

picture.php

So what's the catch than, you might be wondering? Why so "cheap"? Well, in regards to the quality, for what it is, there is no catch. Frankly, and perhaps like you reading this, I didn't think that could be said for "cheap" sets until I saw these in person. Here's why there so cheap: there are no "features" to the bags. No metal eyelets, fancy colors, storage case, or spring lock for the cord. All black bags with all black thread and a nylon cord sewn together overseas and sold to your for cheap.

µm
160µm
110µm (size is unique to this brand)
73µm
45µm
25µm

picture.php

Honestly, if I had more to pick apart regarding a lack of quality construction for these bags I would list the details here, but I don't...There are indeed low-priced sets out there with lower-quality mesh and poor quality manufacturing, so buyer beware....But I did not see that with this brand. I've seen a couple no-label China-made bags selling in headshops for double the price that can't compare to SprungBags for quality.

SprungBags small website simply promises a happy customer and a value, and they deliver this.

Kootenay Bubble Refinery (KBR Bags)

Manufactured in B.C. These are probably the bags I'll pass on to the great-children in a few decades from now.

KBR bags are sterdy, rigid walled and of the "all-coated" style of bags-- plastic-coated on the inside and out.

While trying to remain objective I did find myself anyways expecting a lot from what are probably the most expensive filter bags on the market. When I finally got my hands on Kootenay Bubble's 2 bag set I was genuinely impressed despite having built up my expectations. Very rigid bags offered only in a 2 bag set.

picture.php

Describing these as thoughtfuly made wouldn't cover this- every detail of the bags is high-end quality right down to the thread it's sown together with.

KBR Bags is unique in that they're coming at you with only a two-bag set and in two unique filter sizes . They tell the consumer flat-out to be innovative and not necessarily use these bags in any particular or specified manner. Integrate them into a process-- this could mean adding a siphoning step inbetween running and collecting from each bags' screen, for instance; incorporating them into a mulistep refinement process.

The two sizes of there filter bags are unique to the company and not offered by other manufacturers:

µm
33µm

picture.php

The 33 bag is side-walled while the 209 bag is a standard style. Though the 33 bag is side-walled, the bag's rigid fabric is still the same length as the standard 209 bag, which I was happy to see as it makes them fit together nicely in a bucket.

The pic below shows the nylon handles whick I really liked:
picture.php

BubbleBags

The first company to offer up to eight different filter sizes (though this is common now; one company even offers nine bags). Based in B.C. Sturdy, high-thread count nylon walls are pliable without this falling under the description of a "soft" bag. No side-walled bags necessary, BubbleBags sticks with the standard style of bag constructuon. Eight micron sizes available in sets or individually:

µm
190µm
160µm
120µm
90µm
73µm
45µm
25µm

picture.php

The above pic is actually a thicker fabric brown-colored bag that is no longer available, normal Bubblebags have a more flexible fabric than the one pictured. Pictures abound on the internets, but no one has the brown bag. I've had the opportunity to also use a standard set in the past as well.

picture.php

You pay for worry-free everything-- great quality and customer service, even on the phone. Carefully manufactured in cool colors, these filter bags have very nice stitching and very smooth seams. Name-brand labels and stylish carrying bag look great when you're walking down the beach with your new 8-bag set. The "high-end" bags I've seen even use different thread colors in individual bags to match the respective fabric. Clear attention paid to quality control with this brand.

Boldt Bags

A high-end, rigid-walled bag from the comapny who also made "Trash Bags". Made in Humboldt County, Boldt Bags brings it with impressive quality, great look and construction, and strong metal eyelets around the top of the bag. Very thoughtfully made.

picture.php

I've used these personally as I know two medical-marijuana patients who own a set and both like them. A local glass shop here even stopped carrying another big-brand of bags in favor of only selling Boldt Bags. Offered in sets in the following micron sizes:

µm
190µm
160µm
120µm
90µm
73µm
45µm
25µm

picture.php

If you want a sturdy-walled bag you won't be dissapoointed with a set of these...This brand is catching on more and more--- seems Iam seeing sets in stores a little cheaper than what is online though.

Psuper

Pressing Screens

picture.php

NOTES:

1. I didn't include pressing screens as a "feature" because they're usually just 10"-12" squares of mesh without even a sewn border, are often not sold individually and not included with all sets. They're also not necessary to have. AquaLab makes a 24"x24" but I really like the 18"x18" from SprungBags, perfect size.

2. I think a lot of negative reviews of any bags online are simply of defective bags that should have been returned/exchanged.

Also, many online reviews seem to want to compare these bags to items of clothing or designer purses which isn't a compatible standard. A string or two sticking out or some crooked stitching here-and-there is the norm as far as I've seen. Lookout for bunched-up or folded fabric inside of seams. Carefully inspect the seam along the edge of the mesh.

3. All the filter bags in this review use great quality monofilament mesh as their filters! The mesh is the weakest point or easiest point of the bag to damage-- even the bullet-proof sides won't stop you from poking a small hole in the mesh of the work bag.

There are bags with low-quality (thin) mesh, so be weary of what you buy.

4. I don't like all mesh bags, I could have included a review for one of them in here, but I don't have good things to say about any of them so why bother? Sure they'll work, but buy some bio-diesel filtration sacks for a fraction of the cost instead.

5. Wet hashish takes a few days to dry. Place drying product on dry cardboard preferably in an environment with low humidity, minimum three days. Don't spoil the goods.

?
Anyone have any information they would like me to add to this?

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
Thanks man 4 this thread :wave:

Do you want to test all against each other?

peace
DiMoDz

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Awesome work Psuper :good:
Thanks for taking the time to put this all together to share with us all :tiphat:
:smoke out:

tester

If you have a microscope and a stage micrometer you could check the sieve's pore sizes to see if they really are what they said to be.

I've seen 230 micron bags that were almost 500 microns in reality, the 25 micron bag was 75um if I remember correctly. I contacted the seller, and he said the manufacturer fucked it up in china, the next batch will be OK.
I checked the next batch and half of the bags were still bad.

An average of 1 bags per day were sold from these bags.

Psuper

Thanks man 4 this thread :wave:

Do you want to test all against each other?

peace
DiMoDz

Not against eachother, no. I don't believe any of these bags would perform/yield better-or-worse than other bags I reviewed, even if I could keep all the testing conditions identical.

Iam actually much more interested in running some of these alongside eachother as I own thirteen different sizes.

Iam really trying to show how different some of these bags are from eachother, and highlight features like handles, warranties, hanging straps, etc.

Besides these features, there is a big difference between handling softer fabric bags and handling bags with rigid fabric. Both are great but perhaps the potential customer has a preference. Also, different companies may offer different micron sizes and often even sizes unique to them.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
that sounds so good.

yes, there are several bags of qulatität.
the thickness of the material is different as you say also.

I also noticed that the sizes are insured by mico by manufacturer.

am looking forward to new info information from you.

peace

Psuper

Building a custom set -or- purchasing different sizes.

Building a custom set -or- purchasing different sizes.

If anyone is looking to assemble a custom-sized set of bags here's what you need to know: Different bags are slightly different sizes and you would need either use them in a particular order, or run in separate buckets to avoid folding up the walls of some of the bags.

picture.php

fuzzymuffin

I've got a set of Sprung Bags and couldn't be happier with them. They're an inexpensive, no-frills, bag but very well made. An incredible value, IMO.

Psuper

If you have a microscope and a stage micrometer you could check the sieve's pore sizes to see if they really are what they said to be.

I've seen 230 micron bags that were almost 500 microns in reality, the 25 micron bag was 75um if I remember correctly. I contacted the seller, and he said the manufacturer fucked it up in china, the next batch will be OK.
I checked the next batch and half of the bags were still bad.

An average of 1 bags per day were sold from these bags.

As I said earlier it'd be great if you could check size of the openings on those sieves with a microscope.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215712

While the smallest micron sizes do need close magnification to be sized or compared accurately, the larger-sized bag screens (about 70μ and larger) are easy to compare next to eachother with the naked eye, minimal magnification, or photomacrography without the need for a microscope. A 220μ compared to a 190μ filter screen is easily distinguishable, for instance.

In addition to being able to compare numerous bags' screens next to eachother, I also have squares of the same polyester monofilament that I know the micron rating and thread diameter width for---

picture.php

This thread diameter width (the width of the filament itself, not the screen) is just as much of a concern, probably more so, than mislabled micron ratings. A thinner screen = a weaker screen.

In doing all this mentioned above, I did not see any defects either in the filter mesh size rating or poor quality (thin) monofilament mesh used in any of the six brands I included in this review.

The possibility of getting mislabeled filter sizes and very poorly manufactured bags from auction sites and headshops was well known before you or I started our respective threads. With respect brother Tester, I think your thread is a bit sensationalistic in that it excludes other poor-quality/defects of equal concern. I like the pics of course and glad you posted.

....but it isn't really a big concern among any of the established names in the business, at not at all among the brands I included here.

guerilla415

Awesome Reviews, thanks for the hard work for the community.

Heres a copy of my review of another brand, hope it helps!

420 Bags - Product Review
Hello again hope this day finds you well no matter where your at.

This thread is for my review of the 420 Bags brand bubble bags and basically why they suck lol. I actually ordered these by mistake from aqua lab tech and thought it wasnt a bad deal at $100 for the 5 gallon 4 bag set so I decided to keep em.

Unfortunately I wish I wouldnt have because after only 2 uses, on the third the 20 micron bag ripped right down the seam while rather gently placing it over the bucket. I would be ready and willing to admit if the rip was caused by misuse or some other lack of judgement, but this is not the case. It actually didnt even feel like it was ripping and as I said, ripped right down the seam so it seems like shitty stitching or materials to me.

Another con for these is that they are advertised as being "color coded" but there are two white bags, both extraction bags lol. I woulda figured they could have tried another color to keep in line with the color coded scheme, but Im no marketing exec. It has no bearing on the usability of the bags, just mentioning it because it seemed odd to me.

Basically these seem like cheap Chinese/Taiwanese/something copies of Bubblebags (I dont know where bubblebags are m,ade actually, im guessing US or Canada? Even if its china the quality is much better).

I have reported the problem to aqua lab who are an excellent company in riverside, ca and they requested pics of the bag. I sent them and am awaiting a reply. I'll let everyone know when I find out so as to speak to the service end of things.

In the end Id say definitely do not buy these bags. I wish I woulda went with my original choice of the Sprung Bags, but I despise paypal and refused to pay with them, hence whilst checking out the 420 bags and the shipping costs, I accidentally ordered the 420 bags lol.

There are far too many better choices for extraction bags or screens to go with something that doesnt last. Bubblebags, if made in N. America are gonna be my next investment. Either that or suck it up and pay with paypal

Well, I wanted to report as promised on the situation...Aqua Lab Tech sent me an email yesterday saying that they would be sending me a replacement bag asap. So thats good for now, I just hope they last until I can get something better.

So now Aqua Lab Tech sent me a replacement 20 micron bag but for the 1 GALLON SET!!! I specifically gave them both my order number and told them I bought the 5 gallon set. Not too pleased at having to wait and maybe send this thing back.
guerilla

Attachments

• img_3758.jpg
    img_3758.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 420 bag 2.jpg
    420 bag 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 420 bag 3.jpg
    420 bag 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 420 bag.jpg
    420 bag.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8

guerilla415

so are there any plans to actually review these bags as far as performance goes???

Id Love to see somebody stack these up against each other and run them all with some kind of mechanical instrument (a washer/bubbleator maybe?) so that the results would be clear and unbiased.

I would guess you would have to go with a sstandard amount of bags of a set number of each (with the kootenay bags an exception?)

anyways, it sounds like it would be fun to me, and interesting.

guerilla

Psuper

Can you post the pics here so we can see?

Pics of the mesh or....?

picture.php

Not very interesting pic....

picture.php

so are there any plans to actually review these bags as far as performance goes???

Id Love to see somebody stack these up against each other and run them all with some kind of mechanical instrument (a washer/bubbleator maybe?) so that the results would be clear and unbiased.

I would guess you would have to go with a sstandard amount of bags of a set number of each (with the kootenay bags an exception?)

anyways, it sounds like it would be fun to me, and interesting.

guerilla

Well, as I mentioned above, " I don't believe any of these bags would perform/yield better-or-worse than other bags I reviewed, even if I could keep all the testing conditions identical.....Iam actually much more interested in running some of these alongside eachother as I own thirteen different sizes." But I can't keep testing conditions identical since different bags often feature unique sizes.

I contacted nearly everyone on the following list:

Ice-O-Lator

DropBags

Payload Bags

Sprung Bags

Neato Bags

BubbleBags/Fresh Headies

Kootenay Bubble Refinery

Buddhabags/ Probags

Boldt Bags

Trash Bags (same maker as Boldt Bags)

Bubble Extracter [sic] (from HydroHippy)

Wacky Bags (from WackyWilly)

Crystal Catcher Herb Bags

Hashbag.com ("Extraction Bags")

Weedbags (from ResinExtractor)

VirtualSunHydroponics.com ("Herbal Ice Extracts Bubble Kit")

Trichome Bubble Hash Bags

Bubble Magic Bags

BubbleBagDude Bags

.....And I only got a few replies- that really shows that the companies featured in this review stand-behind their product. One could presumptively assume Iam biased, but consider that all the bag makers contacted were told that this was a "no-strings-attached" review, the only rule I made for myself was to not pit one brand against another.