What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hybrids = sterile plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes_I_Am

in the world of hourticulter if you cross 2 different species the offspring is sterile. it all depends on the linage of the plant.

is this so in cannabis

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
i need to know this to...

My friends made an auto AK47 x NYLD and the seeds are sterile

This is NEW to me. I've never heard this before. There are lots of hybrids within the Cannabis genus and other plant material that I believe don't display this.

Yes_I_Am

and interbred within its own species, ive been studying it with sweet william, they say when crossed with a crysthamthumum the offspring grow, and then produce sterile seeds. but if the hybrid is crossed back to a parent it is not always the case, but futher plants will have a resessive trait of sterile offspring somewhere in there, when it comes out who knows,

now is this the case in cannabis? im not sure im new to avanced botany

it all depnds on the classification of the plant and its heritage some plants will cross like a lab and a whippet. but other dont some do and produce sterile offspring. they are still looking into this this today they can find patterns in dna and then find family trees of plants, this dictates wheather it can be bred and produce viable off spring. some of the most different looking plants can be crossed.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
yes some plant hybrids produce sterile seeds

no it is does not apply to cannabis

CB99

Stigma and pollen incompatibility probably happens all the time with Cannabis, maybe you dont notice it.

Yes_I_Am

and you know about this how docleaf??????????? id prefer it if people with proper knowledge wou;ld stick to answering. no offence intended. its for uni nto just for me. so it needs to be right.

s13sr20 so then some sterile seeds cannot be put down to hybridism, in cannabis that is. your sure of this?

Big Eggy

Veteran
C.Inica and C.rudialis are sub species both decended from C.Sativa so should be completly compatable. Crossing within it's Family ie hops would produce sterile a plant. This happens in nature and is very common between betula and fagus due to flowers and pollen being similar. I'm not sure about cannabis but in apple polyploids need two or more sets of pollen to fruit, could this be why the above mentioned seeds were sterile?

I've heavly edited this from my original post as i got my Taxonomy mixed up.. used to know a way of remembering it starting KING DICK __ __ __ GETS SEX.. Can anyone fill in the missing bits?

Gregg

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I've heavly edited this from my original post as i got my Taxonomy mixed up.. used to know a way of remembering it starting KING DICK __ __ __ GETS SEX.. Can anyone fill in the missing bits?

I know it as "Kings Play Chess On Five Green Squares".

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

In response to OP.....most varieties of cannabis should produce fertile offspring.

It takes a good long time of isolation of a population for the genetic differences to mount up enough to cause problems breeding with other populations of the same species.....this is how speciation (the creation of new species) happens.

"Species" is just a human-invented word to clump populations of animals/plants/whatever together for easy reference.

Not long ago ( a few million years).....lions and tigers were the same species.....since the continents separated...and they became two populations with no contact (and therefore no breeding between the two) - they evolved from one species into almost two. Now man can artifically re-unite them, and breed them.....with odd results.....a female lion and male tiger create a "Liger".....looks like a lion.....but due to genetic differences between lions and tigers, the gene thats shuts off growth hormones is on the "Y" chromosome for lions and the "x" chromosome for tigers....which leads to a male liger never stopping growing. They can reach incredible sizes (and can eat a hell of a lot of meat). All ligers and "tions" (female tiger, male lion) are sterile.

I don't think any populations of cannabis have been genetically isolated for long enough to have trouble hybridizing with other strains....at least nothing that's likely to be in your bean collection...

CB99

With the 2N/2N systems not only is self pollination prevented but inbreeding between close relatives is too. The development of separate genders is an adaptation to ensure out crossing.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FWIW :)

Rob Clarke and I spent years trying to find a hops or Cannabis plant that could pollinate the other and produce viable seeds. We tried many domesticated as well as wild varieties with no luck at all. We tried (Humulus lupulus), many many varieties of female plants as well as (Humulus japonicus), and (Humulus yunnanensis) seeds that gave both male and female hops plants. We tried pollinating the hops with Cannabis pollen and pollinating Cannabis with hemp pollen, neither gave any results at all.

-SamS

Humulus japonicus seeds

Yes_I_Am

the original thread question was to debate wheather the issue is possible in cannabis even if many years from now, sorry i should of been more clear.

species comes down to classification, without classification there is no way of knowing whether your growing the same plant as your mate down the road, in the 17th centery when britian ruled most of the new world, there were 1000's of new plants coming in from all over the world,a man in liverpoll may be growing the same plant as a man in london but when they meet they have no way of knowing if its the same plant, wiothout classification, it was developed from cambridge uni by a man called .RAY, if it wasnt for him we would not have the abundant knowledge we have today, he found a way of putting plants into class', there was another man from sweden who was tring to class plants by there sexual organs and the number of pistils and stamen, i forget his name, his classification law was flawed at a fundamental level, each individual flower has different numbers of male n female organs, but the way he presented his work horrified the britsh royal society due to his expilicit words they saw it as european filth, he named the honey suckle b4 it was changed his original name was hoeney fuckle.

the people saw plants as being sent directly from god and therefor not sexual in any way, also this was around the time darwin was saying that god did not make man so most scientists at the time were frightened to pursue there work for fear of being outcast.

i love this subject its so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts