some news on the legal position
this is what I was told by a canadian lawyer about the charges
since he has a court date, there's some paperwork at least in his hands.
The cops give you a court date before they file anything at all.
Here's how the charging process works, might clear some things up.
1. I get charged last night with murdering Mark Emery by gouging out his eyes with a rusty spoon.
2. This morning they release me from the scene, with a "promise to appear" or a "Summons to a defendant" to appear in court at a certain date (more than a month away usually) and to show up at the station for fingerprints and photographs before that at some point.
3. Someone from the police station takes all the charges laid over the last week or so and swears out "An Information" on each one, which is the document (the "official" charge) that follows you around court. The Information says " on such such and such a day, I killed Narc Emery under this section of the Code....etc. etc. "
4. Someone from the police liasion office takes that pile of Informations down to the court and before a judge or Justice of the Peace, "swears" the informations. Meaning they swear that the allegations are real, and the police wish to procede with the charges etc.
5. the judge or JP signs or stamps it and it then makes its way into the court system and it is added to the docket for the next court appearance.
So, now the only doc is that 4-page "Information" that describes the charges. That's it.
Now, this is assuming they've even done that so far. I've seen them take up to a month even to bother swearing the infos. There is a section of the Criminal Code that says the information must be sworn "as soon as practicable" and that's about a month or so.
and on the charges its self
It's bird seed. Even a few kilos of bud won't get you in the paper in Canada.
It'll be interesting to see how they do it. It's not illegal unless it's viable seed and over a certain THC percentage, which means they have to grow it out to prove the charge.
Otherwise it's a fine under the Industrial Hemp Act (Hemp growing without a license)
please folks we are on top of this and posting what we can when we can
and all the speculation and bullshit are detracting from the real issues