What's new

intruder munching on my plants .. UK bug issue

Uk grower here.

Just went to water and prune my ladies and found many leaves with chew marks on them. Found the culprit under the leaves making itself a nice silk hammock to live in. Its a small 2-3 mm catapillar type thing, eats most of a leaf surface, then kinda fold a leaf edge and holds it with silk. Images below.

I think I got all of them. Not sure how damaging these buggers are. I hope the adults that layed the eggs have ended their life cycle and are dead now.

Anyone able to identify the creeps for me please? As I say in the UK , S.E.

many thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0068_cleaneda.jpg
    IMAG0068_cleaneda.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0066_cleaned.jpg
    IMAG0066_cleaned.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0064_cleaneda.jpg
    IMAG0064_cleaneda.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 5

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen those before, but never in large enough numbers as to make me worry.

They are easy to spot, coz of the folded leaf thing. If you have removed by hand, I wouldn't use anything on the plants other than MAYBE neen, to keep them away, but as said before they're not really a prob. It's the larval state of some insect, and they're done by the time buds start to form.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the look in Browser, yeah I think I agree they are relatively harmless in the scheme of things. Anyhow I think I got the last one today in a final inspection.

H

Hoover_lungz

Use vitalise it kills all bugs, ask your local hydro store for it

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use vitalise it kills all bugs

Hey Jah :wave: I wouldn't recommend using anything that "kills all bugs" remember that we're talking OD here. Indoors is different, but in Od, we can use the nature;

Every year, starting with the roses, the aphids will come in. And then a couple of weeks later, the ladybugs, to feed on 'em. I don't like using stuff, unless it's a really bad case.

At the end, it depends on every grower, but if you read how bad bees are having it nowadays, maybe we can help, rather than making things worse.

Just a thought!

Latest posts

Latest posts