What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This Fucking pH Tester

A

ak-51

Oakton pH2.

picture.php

This fucking pH Tester. This thing has never worked right from day one. I think it's faulty. I keep it in 7.0 solution all the time. From the minute I took it out of the container it has either been being used or been submerged in 7.0 solution.

Here is the problem: I turn the thing on and it will show a very high reading, anywhere from 8.0 to 10.0 (and sometimes even higher). As soon as I turn it on it starts to drift. Sometimes up first, sometimes down. Sometimes up then down. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to get it to show a steady reading. I understand that you can calibrate it once it normalizes. So it'll show something like 8.2 for example. I press calibrate. You can either wait or press enter to confirm calibration. Either way it almost always yields the same result: ERR (error). Then it returns to displaying whatever wack number it was displaying before. Maybe about 5% of the time I get it out to use it I can suceed in getting it to calibrate correctly if the reading drifts close enough to 7.0. Whether or not it gets close enough seems completely out of my control. Using fresh solution seems to make no difference. Rinsing it off and then trying seems to make no difference.

So this thing was basically an impulse buy. I liked the way it looked and it had some features that I didn't really need but thought they were cool. I use to have a Milwakee pH600, which worked fine. Much quicker to calibrate and didn't drift so much. Now I've accidentally let the Milwakee dry out and I think it's permanently fucked.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with the Oakton? Does anybody else have problems with this thing?

Thank you for reading my post, which was about 90% bitching and 10% legitimate question.

Andyo

Veteran
same with hanna

same with hanna

my hanna does the same .
kept in hanna storage solution ,take it out dip in tank ,goes to ph9 then slowly back down have to shake it about in nutes in tank eventually it reads true.
Ive put in a new probe within a week does same thing.
To calibrate i put in ph 7 buffer wait maybe shake a little till it reads 7then i press calibrate ,wait till it sets at 7 then as is a 2 point cal i,in ph 4 buffer press cal wait n set .
Works ok but fukin slowly.A

headees

Yea the pens are no good. Get a blue lab ph or combo meter and be done with it. Its worth the extra money. Check ebay.

ddrew

Veteran
I bought a low end Milwaukee PH meter off ebay for $20
it's the cheapest looking thing I have ever seen, and I have to calibrate it every use, but it works great.

DrLongbottom

Veteran
I have the same Eco pen...Its my workhorse, and has had zero issues in over a year. I try to keep 7.0 reference solution in the cap...but I forget sometimes. Sounds like you just had bad luck, oakton makes good stuff. If you look long enough, you will find complaints on all the types of ph meters....they all fail eventually, and some just never work right. Perhaps the store you bought it from will stand behind their product and replace it or at least give you a discount towards a new ones. If you can get a couple years out of a ph pen you are doing pretty good. DLB

Go to Ebay and get a Martini pH55 from eseasongear for $50.00
It has automatic calibration and the thing is as rock solid a pH meter you can find.
I've been using them for years.
Peace...

P.S. most pH meter storage solution is around the 4.0 pH mark and if you don't have storage solution then use 4.0 pH calibration solution. Maybe this will set you meter right.
Good Luck

thinkin

bought 2 milwaukee ph 600s (returned)

calibrated for crap. reading high off +1.0 @ 7.0 PH and low -.5 @ 4.0 PH

5 year old ph 600 never adjusted always stored properly. perfect calibration.

go figure.

Hey man ive been using this thing for almost a year with no problems calibrated it once a week or every 2 depending on usage. Ive got the manual right here and it specifically says to store it in the calibration solution def not ph 7 solution. As far as the calibration goes i find it really weird as well but it seems to work it never seems to match up to the solutions when calibrating but afterwards i check again and it works fine so i dont no lol. no problems yet. It could be that your storing it in the 7 solution i know what you mean about the intial readings. it says to stir it then pull out and check but i found the best way was to just keep stirring with ituntil the reading stops jumping but 5 minutes you say and readings up to 10 seems weird. I also test first with the 7 solution then the ph 4. Have you replaced the batteries, are your calibration solutions viable or out of date.Its hard to say really.Have you tried resting it to factory mode either. Just throwing ideas around. Hope you figure it out man

D

driftersmokinjo

I have the same meter and have had no problems. I store mine in the storage solution. Clean it every 2 weeks with the electrode cleaning solution and then check calibration with 4,7 and 10 solution. I have never had to recalibrate even after cleaning always spot on. I rinse the probe with plain water between uses and check ph with probe still in nute mix. I dont want to check the ph of the air so no need to remove the probe from what I am checking to read. Hope you get it figured out or replaced. :tiphat:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had similar experiences with my Hanna - frequent need to calibrate, slow to establish a reading, different readings when testing the same solution twice in a row, etc. I finally broke down and bought a BlueLab pH meter off of eBay (same as headees!) and it works great - repeatable, fast readings and holds calibration.

zeropercentthc

By recommendation of someone else on the forum a while back, I've been using an extremely cheap tester off of ebay. Doesn't even have a brand name that I noticed. It's just plain yellow with a black sensor cover. Chinese. Been using for 2 months and haven't calibrated it ONCE. Unlike my last which had to be adjusted every day. If this one eventually stops working right, I'll probably just buy three more, instead of an expensive brand. Certainly doesn't hurt to at least get a cheap one as a backup, rather than just have one expensive tester.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
pH pens are crapshoots at best. If you're spending less than $500, what you have is essentially a toy. Go the pen route, you'll have to expect this from time to time. Sucks but, it's what pens do.

JOJO420

Veteran
I have the same model. In fact its the only pen I have bought 3 pens running. I used it to calculate my formula, kept notes and now , its just a reference point so to speak. Like freezerboy said, its childsplay in the scheme of things,lol. Ona othe hand....
I have had them go outa whack , when i didnt calibrate correctly. my bad. This has held true with every brand i have bought. Everytime it got weird, was because I did something wrong.Something to think about...

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Oakton pH2.

picture.php

This fucking pH Tester. This thing has never worked right from day one. I think it's faulty. I keep it in 7.0 solution all the time. From the minute I took it out of the container it has either been being used or been submerged in 7.0 solution.

Here is the problem: I turn the thing on and it will show a very high reading, anywhere from 8.0 to 10.0 (and sometimes even higher). As soon as I turn it on it starts to drift. Sometimes up first, sometimes down. Sometimes up then down. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to get it to show a steady reading. I understand that you can calibrate it once it normalizes. So it'll show something like 8.2 for example. I press calibrate. You can either wait or press enter to confirm calibration. Either way it almost always yields the same result: ERR (error). Then it returns to displaying whatever wack number it was displaying before. Maybe about 5% of the time I get it out to use it I can suceed in getting it to calibrate correctly if the reading drifts close enough to 7.0. Whether or not it gets close enough seems completely out of my control. Using fresh solution seems to make no difference. Rinsing it off and then trying seems to make no difference.

So this thing was basically an impulse buy. I liked the way it looked and it had some features that I didn't really need but thought they were cool. I use to have a Milwakee pH600, which worked fine. Much quicker to calibrate and didn't drift so much. Now I've accidentally let the Milwakee dry out and I think it's permanently fucked.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with the Oakton? Does anybody else have problems with this thing?

Thank you for reading my post, which was about 90% bitching and 10% legitimate question.

i had two die on me within a total of 20 seconds of use! they are straight bullshit....

MIway

Veteran
You have one of two issues going on...

1. Simplest & easiest... change your batteries... yeah, it makes that much of a difference.

2. Just as likely... the glass membrane is cracked, bleeding solution into the reference gel... that needs to be replaced entirely.

And what FB said... these things are problematic.

Save time, $$, and frustration and use PH indicator fluid. You'll eventually know your nute schedule like the back of your hand and you can use PH indicator fluid to verify.

If you're currently using a digi PH meter, start using the PH indicator fluid to learn and get comfortable with the results. You'll soon realize the benefits to simplicity.

ElGato

Veteran
i use the Hanna checker ph-1, it's about the cheapest around ...i'm on my 3rd one in 8 yrs of indoor growing and they've been great for me

my advice with any meter...
1. get the calibration solutions and calibrate the meter every week (the single serving packets are great and keep for a long time)
2. get the storage solution, and always always always keep the electrode wet with the storage solution, above all whatever you do ...dont let the electrode go dry

oh and for TDS/ec i have a HM digital tds-3 , im on my 2nd one of those....great meter
and about $20

total investment over 8 yrs of indoor growing = about $100

mj

blaze02

i like the hanna pens because you can return it to the hydro store for a new one and hanna replaces them for free. They must lose a lot of money though because hanna pens suck if you dont pamper the shit out of them,.

after like 10 pens i found the best way to keep them workin right is to clean them after use, fill cap with storage solutiojn, then store it in a cup filled with storage solution so that the pen never can dry out. also, check with calibration fluid on the reg and never store that shit in 7.0 calibration solution that was the major reason mine wouldnt stay calibrated.

Latest posts

Latest posts