Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > International Forums > Australia/New Zealand > Organic Fanatics - Australia

Thread Title Search
Organic Fanatics - Australia Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM #1
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

SilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of light
Organic Fanatics - Australia

Gday everybody

I think its high time we had an organic thread here dedicated to growing our favourite plant as nature intended! That can be as simple as digging a hole and sticking a seedling in the ground or making our own compost/teas and worm castings.

There are plenty of excellent threads over in the organic forum and very helpful members there happy to help. I reckon this to be one of the best sources for info anywhere on the net.

I would like this to be a thread where we can focus on Australian products, challenges and co-operation.

There are many excellent Australian made nutrients, companies and sources of information. Having said that we dont need to spend loads of $ down the hydro store to grow healthy and happy plants. Indeed the best organic methods and ingredients can be found locally and quite likely growing or shitting near our back door

Products i use:

Neutrog fertilisers: https://www.neutrog.com.au/
Affordable, certified organic and available in local hardware stores. I have used their rose, rapid raiser, bounce back and rooster booster pellets.

Seasol kelp and fish emulsion https://www.seasol.com.au/
Not certified but they have a full specs for all their products and made from Tasmanian bull kelp

Charlie carp fish emulsion https://www.charliecarp.com/products_organic.html
Available in certified organic and uses a pest species.

Proganics stimuliser https://www.pascoes.com.au/products.php?level=39
This range is available in Bunnings only. They have a cheap range of your standard hydro products. They arent certified and offer no product specs. However i have had good results with their Stimuliser. It is used in very dilute amounts and is great source of silica and "trace elements, enzymes and botanical extracts" I have noticed healthier roots and company claims will cure root rot in 12 hours.

Thats all for now folks. Will add more later

Please feel free to add any info/products you have experience with.

Dr. Richard Lindzen MIT "Controlling carbon is a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life."

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin L.King Jr

Terra Preta Dark Soil Experiment

Recycled Organic Living Soil

Organic Fanatics Australia
SilverSurfer_OG is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM #2
Joeski
Organic Fanatic

Joeski is a jewel in the roughJoeski is a jewel in the roughJoeski is a jewel in the roughJoeski is a jewel in the roughJoeski is a jewel in the roughJoeski is a jewel in the rough
great idea mate,, can back up the use of seasol and charlie carp as being great products for growing buds.. also Melrose Organic Molasses from Coles is great stuff for adding some flavour and trichs.... Amigrows products i believe are also good organic options also available from bunnings...
Peas
Joeski is offline Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 PM #3
Squiggles

Squiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the rough
Nice one Ss_OG
During flowering(outside)I blend banana skins and chicken bones in a food processor
mix it in with my food scraps from the day and add to my Bokashi Bucket
once fermented i add it as a top dress mulch
works like a tonic for everything Bacteria, soil, plants

I started using a Bokashi Bucket 2 years ago and havent looked
back you can sweeten the mix(add/alter the ingredients) for any stage of growth.
It also lets you use any meat products in your compost
It ferments, No smell and all the benefit.

Squiggles is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM #4
Guest50138

Here's a link that explains Bokashi Buckets, Thanks Squiqgles ...I'll be back https://www.bokashi.com.au/How-Bokashi-works.htm

Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 PM #5
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

SilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of light
Ahh yes Bokashi! I have a bucket in my kitchen that solved the problem of what to do with all the stuff we aint supposed to be putting straight into compost/worm farm. Things like citrus peel, onion/garlic bits, meat scraps, fish skin. Once fully digested/fermented it is safe for worms to eat or compost to digest. Really keeps the smell down

However i havnt been brave enough to use it directly as mulch or topdressing. Bones in the blender?! Must be a good one

Thanks for the input/encouragment fellas!

Thanks to this thread in particular i have been turned onto making as much of my own liquid fertilisers as possible: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=94673

The 'magic' ingredient in these plant ferments is EM1. It is a collection of anerobic microbes specially tailored for organic growing and improving soil. Most healthy bacteria are aerobic. That is they need an oxygen rich environment to survive. When we make an aerated compost tea we are breeding aerobic bacteria. The EM1 allows (different) healthy bacteria to flourish in an oxygenless environment. This is why its used for septic tanks, drains, anywhere there is standing water that will putrify and become toxic.

We can harness its power to ferment whatever plant material we have and turn it into organic, healthy food for our plants or bodies.

For example. The other day i got a box of overripe pineapples for free. I simply chopped them up a bit, chucked em in a food safe bucket and topped up with water. To this i added a capfull of EM1. Put a lid on and let nature do the work. Depending on temps it will take 4-10 days or so to ferment. Then i will strain it and use it on my garden/store in bottles. I am hoping to extract the enzyme power present in fresh pineapples. But the point is it was very cheap and easy! Anyone can do this and use whatever materials are available.

The EM1 i found at a local hardware store. It only cost around $20. Once it has been activated (in an anaerobic environment + sugar) it goes a long way.

So to recap.

Plant material
Sugar (mollasses is great but any raw sugar) The pineapple used its own natural sugars.
EM1

= home made, organic plant tonic/fertiliser

Note: Organic in this sense just means 100% of the materials came from nature. The pineapples were probably grown using synthetic inputs but by fermenting we can break down and nullify any chemical leftovers etc. The same goes for compost etc

This is a great method using eggshells and vinegar to create:

Calcium Phosphate

A lot of agriculture advisers have used calcium phosphate for better plant growth, health, pest and disease controls. Natural farmers use this bionutrient very specific. Under the theory of Nutrioperiodism developed by a Japanese horticulturist, Yasushi Inoue in the 1930’s, plants and animals need a very specific nutrient relative to the stage of their development. In the plant, there is the essential vegetative growth , changeover and the reproductive periods. In animals, like humans, there is the infantile, juvenile and adulthood. It is not only critical to provide the right nutrient at the right stage of the development, but also critical to use or apply specific nutrient of calcium phosphate in the juvenile or changeover period. For the plant, for example, we know that nitrogen is critical on the vegetative stage as potassium is critical in the flowering and fruiting stages. It is however, the changeover period that is most critical that will determine the quality of the final reproductive stage. At this stage, an additional nutrient is badly needed by the plant. And this is calcium phosphate. Calcium phosphate is good for plants’ “morning sickness”. It is the stage that additional baby needs to be fed or the process where flower/fruit is about to come. Ash made from soybean stems are excellent for this purpose.

Here is a simple, natural method of generating calcium phosphate. Get eggshells and roast them enough to generate some good ashes. Afterwhich, dip these roasted eggshells on about equal visual volume of vinegar. Allow it to sit for a couple of weeks until eggshells are practically broken down by the vinegar acids. You may use this diluted 20 parts water and can be sprayed or watered to the plants during the changeover period.

When this is applied to that changeover period, it will improve plant health and productivity. The use of calcium phosphate is important to natural farmers. This however, does not mean that we shall forget the nutrient timing application of other critical nutrients for plant growth both macro and micro nutrients, given at the right stages and combinations.

We consider this very important bionutrient needed by the plants used by natural farmers.

Dr. Richard Lindzen MIT "Controlling carbon is a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life."

Last edited by SilverSurfer_OG; 05-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Add some pics

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM #6
wilbur

this thread good idea S/S! very interesting!

Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 AM #7
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

Dolomite lime

Every gardener knows about the benefits of lime right?

"Sweetens" the soil by changing acidic soil back to neutral. Its alkaline and used roughly 1-2 handfulls per m2. Adds much needed magnesium. Very important for coco coir. Because most mixes will slowly become acidic this will balance it out.

Indoors use at 1-2 tablespoons per 4 litres. In coco coir you can add at the lower rate.

Its important to note that it will take at least a month to start working. 3 months or so is better. Then its good for 3 years Dont overdo it and keep a record of when you applied to what area and how much! Its gonna cause ph problems/ nutrient lock-outs if overdone.

Today i was walking around my outdoor spots and scattering lime in preperation for next season. This is a principle used in growing fruit and nut trees. Lime in autumn, plant in winter and fertilise in spring!

I have read you can mix with water to get an immediate boost but cant speak from experience.

Last edited by SilverSurfer_OG; 10-12-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 AM #8
Squiggles

Squiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the roughSquiggles is a jewel in the rough
i put a handful of lime in my indoor soil mix and let the mix sit for a couple of weeks, personally ive seen it make a major difference than without.

outdoors see above ^

Squiggles is offline Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 AM #9
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

Thats cool Squiggy. Couple of weeks is a good average to allow any fresh soil mix to 'cook' and allow the microbes and fungi get to work and balancing things out.

Probably important to point out to any newbs there is a world of difference to growing organically indoors and out. Outdoors is much easier basically to grow a plant hassle free. That can be turned on its head if you factor pests, disease, wildlife, rippers, mold etc

But talking of growing microbes and fungi... outdoors in the ground much easier! Especially in the tropics as so much can rely on warm temps

Thats partly why i personally prefer a soiless mix for my indoor garden. More on that later.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 AM #10
Guest50138

Well ya can't have a Organic's thread without some Poop. Here's some goat and chicken shit that I will bubbble for a week or more .will show the end product when it's done

When handling any organic soils ,potting mix's and manurers always treat them with the respect they deserve wear glove's and if dry and dusty wear a face mask..my wife got a form of Pneumonia about a decade ago from potting mix's and I shit you not I thought it was going to kill her , Safety First Fella's

3 members found this post helpful.