What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP! SHOULD I CUT LOWER LEAVES AND BRANCHES?

So should i cut them off, and leave only top branches with buds which get light? because lower branches are not getting almost any light, and leaves are yellowish, so I guess there is no use of them. Will it stress plant a lot or no? Ill upload pic little later, but i hope you get what i mean.

Heres update:
Plants looks very healthy now, bud are growing very fast, temp now is 28 (before it was 31) and humidity 55 (was 65). Cutting fan leaves and lower branches was very good idea i think. :) What you think guys, how im doing? This is my first grow. Strains: Train Wreck, Lemon Skunk, Church, White Rhino, Great White Shark, El nino, Cheese.
This is how they look before
nuotrauka0146.jpg

nuotrauka0149.jpg

and after

nuotrauka01561.jpg

nuotrauka01551.jpg

by the way, Just finished two Green-O-Matic fem plants, drying now. Tryed one little bud, effect is very very nice, so fking stoned lol xD And we made some bubble hash from trims of green o matic. Got 0,5g pure hash :D effect was insane too xD Nice and easy grow plant. here some photos.

nuotrauka0150.jpg

nuotrauka0151.jpg

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
Definitely some more info/few pics would help.

Provided there are no other issues going on,I assume you're referring to lolli-popping the plant?

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
hey there heart- i think that most peeps trim up the bottom 4" or so to allow better air flow. i guess the "art of trimming" is taking off enough lower growth and suckers to direct energy to the main colas without stressing too much. i do this by starting about 2wks before the flip, and just trim a little every couple days.

Str8Dank

yes,

this increases your top shelf yield. when the lower area of the plant not getting light is trimmed off the plant cant use any energy creating these popcorn buds. i dont just say it i do it and my harvests speak for themselfs

attachment.php

attachment.php

i dont do 4" you need to go higher for a real effect. if its going to be popcorn bud just remove that crap. would you rather have that energy redistributed to the colas making them bigger or dispersed amongst a shitload of popcorn?

the fruit industry has been doing this for years so there is lots of scientific evidence proving its validity. maxim yield did a great article on this.

attachment.php

that ChemD yielded 236 grams dry in a 2 gal pot. do you think trimming up that bottom (which i could have went father trimming) hurt its yield? now granted trimming was not what made this thing yield insane but it sure didn't prevent it and i had almost no bullshit bud on the whole plant everything was presentable. i didn't trip this plant as high as it was a semi scrog it was spread open manually under a trellis letting light get lower into the plant BUT not that wide it was sharing the light with a total of 9 plants.

trim the bottoms up before stretch and finish it up right after the stretch if need be if you dont know the strain and dont initially trim high enough before the stretch.

Attachments

• str8dank---chemd---6-weeks.jpg
    str8dank---chemd---6-weeks.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 7

señorsloth

Veteran
Defoliation is much more effective than lolipopping, even the lowest buds will get light and grow nice and chunky without all of the pointless fan leaves! The plant has evolved to not put much energy into buds that arent getting light, but when you trim off the fans the buds recieve more light and within a few days you will see them start to fatten up

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
When Plants don't stretch I cut nothing or a very little.

When they stretch a lot I cut a lot (or it just falls off)

Pine

nice post pinecone..all my hazes always get the bottom 1/3 removed..you will be rewarded in some serious top 2/3 bud action...

Heres update:
Plants looks very healthy now, bud are growing very fast, temp now is 28 (before it was 31) and humidity 55 (was 65). Cutting fan leaves and lower branches was very good idea i think. :) What you think guys, how im doing? This is my first grow. Strains: Train Wreck, Lemon Skunk, Church, White Rhino, Great White Shark, El nino, Cheese.
This is how they look before
nuotrauka0146.jpg

nuotrauka0149.jpg

and after

nuotrauka01561.jpg

nuotrauka01551.jpg

by the way, Just finished two Green-O-Matic fem plants, drying now. Tryed one little bud, effect is very very nice, so fking stoned lol xD And we made some bubble hash from trims of green o matic. Got 0,5g pure hash :D effect was insane too xD Nice and easy grow plant. here some photos.

nuotrauka0150.jpg

tried this for the first time yesterday

5 identical LSD strain plants

one I took off about a 1/2 foot from the bottom up
another I took off about a foot from the bottom up
another I took off about a foot and 1/2 from the bottom up
another I took off about 2 feet from the bottom up
one I left alone

going to see which one yields the most

place your bets - hahaha

Latest posts

Latest posts