What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Round 3~ An Evolution of Competence :D

huntingbb

Howdy my fellow gardeners! I'm no-one special and probably not worth watching, but for my own enjoyment I'll be sharing my hobby :laughing:

So, I'm gonna go through a few pix - blast from teh past shall we say. Hm... OK, so in January I got off my arse and built a batcave. The space is about 53" by about 118" by 8' tall (the right side is a gutted closet, so is a bit shorter, but that's just the far right 2' or so.) Using two vertical cooltubes, currently running at 600w on 1kw Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballasts, with some cheap eiko bulbs.

Now i'd finished a second run off, making something out of near failure - i should have waited 2 weeks with veg before flowering them, they were too small, but i got several zips off a 600 so w/e - on the upside the girls grew to about 16-20" tall with all but the bottom couple inches being buds, cpl branches or 3 each - 19 girls survived the whole round lol.

It really got me thinking tho. If anyone's taken a glance at Budbunker's grow, or at SpeedQuick's documented setups, there are tons of great examples where one generates huge colas on a girl - big single or so cola girl machines. On the other hand, there are a many great examples of having several well manicured branches producing huge colas each.

GroTunnel v.2010
by k33ftr33z and passive plant killer by delta9nxs show the kinds of girls I would like to grow, the second type mentioned above.

K33ftr33z's Inspiring Results:

delta9nxs Mastery of the PPK:

At first I thought I would try to do the full PPK by delta9nxs, but got bogged down on bucket connectors, and decided not to connect them (read - be lazy). The GroTunnel uses hydro, and i'm not that bold, I'll be staying in my coco!

delta9nxs's PPK:

K33ftr33z's GroTunnel:

So, my first couple trys told me I needed to find a nice nute schedule that was reasonably simple and not complete crap! I settled on REZDOG's
Sticky: ==The Recipe== Super Simple!

You've been asking exactly how I do what I do,with ferts, for a good long time.
This is a recipe for anybody to follow,based on my decade-plus experiences with GenHy's Flora Series.
It does smokin' good for me,your results may vary.
I'm always tweaking the above,and you should,too.

==The Recipe==

(All Products are GenHydro,pH at 5.5 pH)
(All measurements are per gal.)
6ml flora micro
9ml flora bloom
Kool-Bloom POWDER

VEGETATIVE STAGE AT 24 HRS. LIGHT ON
(18/6,optional)

Veg,Feed:

6ml flora micro
9ml flora bloom

Use the above 1/2-strength on seedlings and clones to 10" tall,then feed full-strength>on.

Based on 63 day 12/12 Flower Cycle:

Day 1-14
6ml micro
9ml bloom

Day 15-21
6ml micro
9ml bloom
1 tsp./Gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 15!)

Day 22-28
6ml micro
9ml Bloom

Day 29-35
9ml Bloom
1 tsp./gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 29!)

Day 36-52
9 ml Bloom
(AND ON DAY 36,a 1 tsp./gal Kool-Bloom POWDER Slam!!)

Day 52-63 (Flush)
5.5-6.0 pH h20 at 50 ppm

Now you know!!

ADDENDUM 9-6-09:

I've seen yields increase about 15% (!!) with the above modifications.

Cheers!

So with the nute regimen choice down, I thought i was ready!!! Oh, hells no was I ever wrong!! (I wanted to start in Jan!) I had some relationship issues, then one of my best friends did as well, and of course his woman had come over and knew. He insisted she wouldn't find my grow again, but i waited and waited and vegged and waited, GOD IT SUCKED. The girls grew tall, I forgot to water much for a while, I cut them in half, they grew again, I cut again. (they were getting to about 4' high and getting cut in half.)

In the meantime the stems on the girls have gotten thick as fuck, I'd say the smallest is still well over an inch in diameter. I ended up getting #5 pots and setting on top of 5-gal buckets, using the empty space as a water rez. The concept came from
delta9nxs's thread, but i was too lazy to connect the buckets. Currently I hand-water 1 time per day, with about a half gallon of water each. This should be much higher quickly.

<Break time here, I'll be back!>

huntingbb

OK, lets take a look at what I've been up to for those crazy months!

Round2 was 600w in a 2x4 tent, SOG - more or less single cola style.

That promptly became my veg tent immediately after the run was completed.

So you can see where I was towards the end of January there, ripe and ready to go, had the desire, time and power, but made that choice to wait ;_;

So i took some more pix a couple weeks after the above:

And a few pix a month later:

I only have a cpl blurry pix of where I'm at today, but hopefully your able to follow - fewer girls, double the light, 4 times the space, vertizontal orientation, and hopefully several times the yield!

We will be defoliating at week three, and I'll try to update the thread weekly as we go along. Thread is not in real-time, so don't think I'll be very open about actual timing ;)

The pattern the girls will hold is:

The top one with just 11 girls is what I decided on.

Don't be mistaken though, my next run will likely be with 6, then 3, then perpetual (I hope).

Hit yall back up in a while, stay chill =============~~~~ o
O

E

e4ian

nc pics hunting bb

baaaaaaaaaa ..still wont let me give you the rep benzo. what you done?!?!

huntingbb

thx!

I don't have much to add today, but I'll have some initial flowering pix up this weekend... Wish i had a place to upload a video walk-through... don't wanna trust youtube.

huntingbb

So!! Ive pix to post... but i'd like to note something here. I did check my rezzies on each girl the other day, and they were between 4.5 and 5.5 ph >.<; !!!!! So i had the hard chore of carrying every girl outta the room and ph'ing each bucket individually.

I also noticed a direct correlation between ph and root color. The ones with very low ph had off-colored (kinda tan/yellow) roots, whereas the ones closer to 5.4-5.5 had the nice bright white roots that we love to look at for teh root pr0n. I didn't snap a shot, but we'll see what difference it makes over a week or so, i've plans to do spot checks on 3 per day (4 day cycle for the whole garden).

Also, if anyone wants to make a note about airflow vs watts vs number of lights vs temps:

a. dual lights in cooltubes on a single air loop
b. from inside tent to outside/w carbon filter (can 50/33 special).
c. using single 6" 449cfm vortex on at max setting

-- at 1kw (both) its too hot - temp differential with ambient setting of 71-73f is about 15degf putting me around 88-90f with two fans in the loop, 92-94 with just one on.
-- at 600w (both) its about a 3-5 degree setting - my peak temp was 82 one time, but usually around 77f. one fan.
-- with 1@ 600 and the other at 1kw its about a 10f difference, putting me in low 80's one or both fans, similar.

So i think i could run them as 1kw in my batcave, if i had seperate fans and cf's for each light. Not sure if both fans would need to be on max, and without the CF i can keep it cool with both fans on in the same air loop. So... pondering getting the second CF... might just grab it this weekend if i find a good deal locally.

This means i'll have to be carving up the door to the room; two exhausts and a grill for intake to refresh. >.< i'll show pix when i finally do it... I have a big desire to be able to close that friggan door :p

OK now the pix!!!

Vegging girls:

Flowering girls (week 1):

huntingbb

Well!! I suppose it's time for an update!

Measured rezzies after that last update, and they seem to be holding steady, but will all get another round of fixing in the next couple days.

Ive been having a great time, my girlfriend has been feeding the vegging girls a bunch, which is awesome, to have her involved a bit.

Hm, i guess there's not much to say about this update... the girls seem to have grown a bit, but nothing too impressive:

Flowering girls:

Vegging girls:

huntingbb

Hm, I suppose not much to say, rezzies are going well, just needed that ph balancing. The roots are still mostly air roots so i'm not really sure how much actual good the rez's are doing in my particular scenario.

Anyhow, pictorial update!!

Vegging girls:

Flowering girls:

huntingbb

So, after much pondering, I came to a conclusion:

I'm gonna put all the buckets with the girls in em, on TOP of other buckets upside-down - one of my setup's current weakness is how low the light's go, so to maximize the girl's exposure, I'll just boost em up a bit..

I won't be doing the rezzie type setup next round, instead I'll actually plan a little further ahead; again i'm gonna try to do just 6 girls, so I'll likely put each of those in 10gal rubbermaids.