What's new

400w 480v Metal halide ballast to 120v question?

just snagged a 480v 400 watt metal halide ballast from this local shop for $25 (this is sort of like a thrift store for building supplies all used or second hand crap)

the question is how do I convert the 480v input it requires to the standard 120v output from my wall sockets?

any electricity guys know how to do this?

thanks!

picture below or
http://i.imgur.com/Ofnio.jpg
if not showing...
don't mind the sharpie. the people at the place had no idea what it was anyway.
Ofnio.jpg

RedReign

Is there a spare (unused) wire that says 120v on it? If so, all you have to do is disconnect the wire that says 480v, and connect the 120v wire.

instead of thinking like that I thought, "well if I just put the part numbers in google it will tell me what to do" apparently I had to ask another source. and even stupider of myself, there was a stack of about 15 of these. I opened one to look what was inside had the instructions in there of the wiring diagrams and of course I pick a nicer looking untouched box in the stack and no instructions. bummer... thanks for the idea though.

Andyo

Veteran
auto transformer

auto transformer

i used M47 415 ballasts in the uk.
uk was 24o v then so i just needed 2 lives .
But we also used the M47 ballaste with an auto trans former
xfb 240/415
so i guess you need a 120/415 auto transformer looks just like and extra ballast.A

Electrician

Most ballast are "multi tap" and have leads for 120V,208V,240Volt,277Volt,480Volt . Switch your input lead to the desired voltage.