What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Formula 1 2011

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hi all!

thought i'd start a thread about this seasons F1 world campionship.

just wanted to know what all you petrolheads are thinking about this years current happenings?

First of all i'd like to congratulate Webber for a Stunning performance in China at the weekend starting 18th on the grid and charging through the field to finish 3rd.

I'm liking that the FIA has brought back KERS but not so sure i'm feeling the DRS.. Button was robbed of 3rd by webber on the finial lap due to KERS but maybe i'm just bias being english?? Had it been the other way round i'd probably feel different?

Loving the new tyres too really shaking things up.. cant wait for Monaco when the choices will be Soft and Super Soft.

I'll Update this section with Current Standings and next Race dates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Standings:
1 Ger S Vettel 204
2 Aus M Webber 124
3 Spa F Alonso 112
4 GB L Hamilton 109
5 GB J Button 109
6 Brz F Massa 52
7 Ger N Rosberg 40
8 Ger N Heidfeld 34
9 Rus V Petrov 31
10 Ger M Schumacher 28

FIA Formula 1 constructors' world championship:
1 Red Bull-Renault 328
2 McLaren-Mercedes 218
3 Ferrari 164
4 Mercedes GP 68
5 Renault 65
6 Sauber 33
7 Toro Rosso-Ferrari 17
8 Force India-Mercedes 12
9 Williams-Cosworth 4
10 Lotus-Renault 0
11 Hispania-Cosworth 0
12 Virgin-Cosworth 0

Next stop FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2011
Fri 22 July 2011
Practice 1 09:00 - 10:30
Practice 2 13:00 - 14:30
Sat 23 July 2011
Practice 3 10:00 - 11:00
Qualifying 13:00
COLOR="blue"]Sun 24 July 2011[/COLOR]
Race 13:00
Times shown are UK GMT (+1.00hr for local times)

Nürburgring GP Layout
picture.php

Big Eggy

Veteran
Well i'm gonna keep posting on the off chance someone else loves F1?

First Practice has been very wet @ Istanbal.

Vettel has crashed out in first practice.. leaving Alonso to go fastest with a 1:38.670.

the rest of the top are:

2 germany N Rosberg 1:40.072
3 germany M Schumacher 1:40.132
4 germany N Heidfeld 1:40.338
5 russian federation V Petrov 1:40.401
6 japan K Kobayashi 1:40.421
7 brazil F Massa 1:40.697
8 australia D Ricciardo 1:41.094
9 switzerland S Buemi 1:41.178
10 germany N Hulkenberg 1:41.347

Webber could only manage 11th 3.894secs of the pace.

both the McLarens spent most of the session in the garage, Hopefully it's not technical problems.

I'm looking forward to Qulifiying tomorrow hopefully there will be more rain.

Eggy

Big Eggy

Veteran
Button top in dryer second half.

Standing are:

1 great britain J Button 1:26.456
2 germany N Rosberg 1:26.521
3 great britain L Hamilton 1:27.033
4 germany M Schumacher 1:27.063
5 australia M Webber 1:27.149
6 brazil F Massa 1:27.340
7 russian federation V Petrov 1:27.517
8 great britain P Di Resta 1:27.725
9 mexico S Perez 1:27.844
10 germany A Sutil 1:28.052

Nice to see Paul Di Resta in the top 10, and Schuey in 4th.

Big Eggy

Veteran
What a Race!! Too much action to write about.

It was always gonna be the case Redball ran away with it.. i hope it's not gonna be like when schumacer was on top of his game.

lots of action down the field though and well done to kobayashi managing 10th place after charging from the back of the grid.

I Gotta admit i was a bit worried about DRS and the new tyers pre season but this is giving us some great racing.. we just need the rest of the top 10 to catch the Redbulls.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Eau Rouge

Eau Rouge

Big Eggy.......yes it is. Eau Rouge is one of the fastest, most challenging section of racetrack in F1 that generates very high G's.

RMS

Big Eggy

Veteran
Yeah love Circuit.. i hope they bring out an update for GT5 on the PS3 (if it ever come back on line).

bet you can't stand that close these days with all the European H&S quangos.

Big Eggy

Veteran
2013 Engine Spec

2013 Engine Spec

I know i'm getting a little ahead here but as many of you may already know the FIA has approved a new engine configuation for the 2013 season which will be:

1.6 Litre turbo 4 cylinder engines limited to 12,000 rpm's

I'm too young to remember the early 80's when this engine type dominated for teams like Ferrari & Mclaren but my dad says it was like watching bumble bees wizz round the track. Bearing in mind these were V6 turbos.

MP4/2 1984

MP4/4 1988

do remember watching Senna and Prost battle it out but this was after they banned forced induction and Mclaren had switched to Honda 3.5litre V12 from Tag(Prorsche) Engines

MP4/6 1991

Not sure what revs they were running back then (turbo era). But for 2013 regs 12,000 seems pretty low to me??? and four cylinders??

thoughts anyone?

Eggy

bad gas

back when schumacher and barrichello were racing ferrarris, vettel, webber, and the other current frontrunners were in the midpack. now, the opposite is true. then there's hamilton. all these guys are truly talented. i don' know about the new engine. 12,000rpm seems awfully low for a smallbore 4 cylinder with a turbo. are they trying to slow the cars down? it doesn't seem to be a problem. after all, who can complain about the performance of a 1120 lb go cart with 900 horsepower? 0 to 200 and back to 0 in less than 10 seconds. i'd like a ride in one of the 2-seaters. i'd tell the driver to have fun and i'll hang on.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
back when schumacher and barrichello were racing ferrarris, vettel, webber, and the other current frontrunners were in the midpack. now, the opposite is true. then there's hamilton. all these guys are truly talented. i don' know about the new engine. 12,000rpm seems awfully low for a smallbore 4 cylinder with a turbo. are they trying to slow the cars down? it doesn't seem to be a problem. after all, who can complain about the performance of a 1120 lb go cart with 900 horsepower? 0 to 200 and back to 0 in less than 10 seconds. i'd like a ride in one of the 2-seaters. i'd tell the driver to have fun and i'll hang on.

HaHaHa :laughing::laughing::laughing: You said Go Cart
Crap I'm old I go back to the Dan Gurney days. Just stared watching F1 3-4 years ago. I like your guy's passion for the sport. :tiphat:

Big Eggy

Veteran
I'm sure the teams will know what to do when it come down to it.. might even shake the field up a bit but who knows?

The FIA seem to want to slow things down when speeds start to exceed 200mph which i guess is fair as the safty of the drivers and spectators has to be taken into account... especially considering that these "Go Karts" are only built to just pass the crash test.

Maybe with the new smaller engines and lower revs they will lower the weight limit for cars.. at the moment the top six cars are so light they have to add ballasts which can be used to thier advantage in weight distribution. Not sure what the slower teams will do though as the likes of Virgin, Hispania Racing & Lotus (not Lotus Renault) are running much heavier cars with out ballast added.

Does anyone know how "Push to pass" works in indy/champ car, is it an areo thing or just more HP? Also nice to point while on the subject of Indy, F1 Paul Di Resta is the cousin of Dario Franchitti. Racing must be in their blood or Money.

Eggy

bird

yeah i been watchn f1 for a while. saw schumacher win a couple championships. was surprised when he retired and came bac not doin well at all really. and redbull kickin ass mercades right behind. gonna be a great season.

Big Eggy

Veteran
This is only the 3rd year i've followed really close.. i dont like football (soccer) have found this to be a good excuse to claim some ME time.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I only started watching the F1 last season, and I'm hooked now!

I hope Vettel doesn't run away with it, I think it going right down to the wire is much more entertaining for all.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could well do, Ferrari didn't really get their act together until someway through the season last year. He looked in good form in Turkey though.

I'm not sure I particulaly like alonso though, It might just be the team orders affair from last season that sticks in my head. I know he probably didn't have a choice in the matter.

Latest posts

Latest posts