What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco mixed with silica stone

cyat

Veteran
Great roots with no expensive additives.
one coco brick mixed with one bag of napa floor dry.
just got 2 bags of higromite its the same exact thing just bigger.
This stuff is white when it's dry and it turns different shades of brown when its gets wet.
I'll throw up some pics of the roots in a minute.

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
I got a freebie bag of silica stone the other day at the local hydro store. enough for about a 5 gallon planter, I thought if I had some space I'd try it. I didn't think silica was good for roots I thought it was for stronger veg growth. stronger/better branching

cyat

Veteran
Stonedar the one your talking about sounds more like higromite which is mostly big pieces.I just got some of that plan on using it for rdwc, and for covering the surface of pots to fight against gnats. the silica stone i.e napa floor dry is basically kitty litter. same thing different size, i like both of em.

D

DHF

Silica supplement in ANY form for stem wall strength and development is a GOOD thingy........in the medium for slow constant release or....

To be ableta use it as a top dressing for fungus gnat prevention is just icing on the cake......

Good call Cyat.....DHF....:ying:.....

cyat

Veteran
thanks fred , ya I put it on top for gnats too, only problem is it doesnt stay put too good. The higromite(bigger pieces) is good for that just too expensive at 50 $ a bag.

cyat

Veteran
picture.php

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's insane root coverage, Cyat. So is that a 1:1 ratio of coco to napa floor dry? Did you grow those in regular plastic pots? How did you water?

cyat

Veteran
hey Babba thanks
I used one compressed nutrafield block to one bag of floor dry.
I had some perlite on the bottom 2 inches. 5gal nursery pots on a runoff table sometimes watered every day, sometimes every three days when they were pretty dry.
2 tablespoons fish emulsion to a gallon with no runoff, then watered that day or the next with half strength ionic coco formula to runoff.

ijim

thanks fred , ya I put it on top for gnats too, only problem is it doesnt stay put too good. The higromite(bigger pieces) is good for that just too expensive at 50 $ a bag.

I see 22 liter bags of higromite for thirty bucks. The thing about them is you just rinse them off and reuse them. I would still foliar spray with silica also.

Gsizzle

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This floor dry that you are mentioning. Is it the same stuff consider as diatomaceous earth?

cyat

Veteran
ijim, sounds like a good price. I like how they change colors. never liked spraying silica cuz the residue.I have some silica I have used it too feed just never really noticed a difference, dont need it for strong stems imho.
strongest biggest stems and branches I got were w no silica additives, just use it to ph up but usually need ph down.
I try not to foliar, healthiest plants I had were foliar free.
so many ways to do things

cyat

Veteran
sizzle ya its d.e
also used in some kitty litter.
same as higromite just smaller.
learned about it from the bonsai forums
did a great run w/it layered with cheap (and hot) kellogs soil huge plants in little bags.

Gsizzle

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How tall of a cieling you working with? Are this in the Trash bin gonna get the same horizontial lighting? Wonder if growing in them bins can be more benificial growing them just as wide as tall. Nice work and info keep it rolling. Gonna give it a try myself.

cyat

Veteran
Gsizzle bout 10 foot ceilings not an issue cuz ima tie em down and spread em out. The goal for now is one plant per 1k. I'm doin 18 gal tubs and 27 gal tubs and 20 gal nursery pots. I just like how the trashcans look and wanna try a new shape. These are actually hempys with 1/2 bulkhead drains that can be connected eventually might put em on wheels not sure yet.These will also eliminate the need for drain tables. My big girls in the huge tubs are outperforming the ones in the tree machines but those got hit hard with root aphids.