What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
I did my 2nd year with BEL's Hawaiian
Swazi x Thai x Mexi x Affy

My favorite genotypes are the sativa ones. The Mexican expression is very delicate, like DJ Short Flo
Swazi shows up as a creeper - maybe 3ft tall but spreading out low against the ground.
Thai genotypes are huge.

But there's also what you can see is the parent of NL in there - thick stalk, denser, purple buds, wide leaves.

Smell is mostly delicate among all samples. Not muted (though one out of 8 was) but delicate - the opposite of the single strong terp of hydro

I also have a newer Hawaiian line from the early 90's that came from Colorado's HP13. And all those plants are fruity with incense.

Im gonna do more work with the BEL Hawaiian this year. Already go some seeds to pop.

I also popped a few seeds of Federation's Hawaiian x Mulanje Highland Malawi

Watch out for the pineapple phenos in the Hawaiian x Mulanje cross. :)

bleepboop

I did my 2nd year with BEL's Hawaiian
Swazi x Thai x Mexi x Affy

My favorite genotypes are the sativa ones. The Mexican expression is very delicate, like DJ Short Flo
Swazi shows up as a creeper - maybe 3ft tall but spreading out low against the ground.
Thai genotypes are huge.

But there's also what you can see is the parent of NL in there - thick stalk, denser, purple buds, wide leaves.

I have a couple each of the BLD & NLD that popped a fortnight back, looking forward to trying them again.
Thanks again for them :D

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I have a couple each of the BLD & NLD that popped a fortnight back, looking forward to trying them again.
Thanks again for them :D

Those are the first seeds I made from what I got from the BEL chemist.
I was around 3k ft in Napa.
Dry and super hot.
The bay laurel from that mountain has the highest terpene content of any bay in the world.
The seeds Ive sprouted so far from that year are very epic with smells and flavors.

As far as the Hawaiian, you'll find NL plants with red/purple that go til September, all the way to towering Thai plants that want to go through December

Mexican males from the line (think Flo/F-13) are the most transparent in crosses, allowing the mom to shine or a 1+1=3 situation.
I used an NL type male this past season and will let you kmow how his kids turn out.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Maui Wowie seems to be a cross of Southern Mexican x Afghan and backcrossed again from what i read and according to some.The BOEL brought a lot of genetics to the islands.

Mexican x Afghan is the backbone of the Hawaiian breeding program that BEL did on the Islands.

Swazi, Thai, Jamaican being other lines used. But pretty much was either crossed to the Mexi, the Affy, or the hybrid of those two because those matched up with the lattitude for Hawaii.
The Affy's hit California in the early/mid 70's but it was too humid in Hawaii for the pure or mostly pure Affy. So Mexican, Swazi, and others were used to get better yields that didnt mold out.

Ive made two generations from the seeds I got from an old BEL chemist.
in the first generation was a very Mexican sativa sativa hybrid female, and a sativa leaning female that showed Thai and something else. The Mexican was more Mexican than most anythig seen these days - very pronounced yet delicate - kind of like a sativa Flo. He had light red stems.
In the next generation, I got some NL looking thick stemmed purple plants, but most were very sativa. I had a Swazi creeper pheno that had hybrid leaves with African characteristics and thick buds - I could see this being worked a couple years to make a webbed-leaf plant.

As far as Hawaiian Indica or the Cherry Bomb line, Cherry Bomb was the mainland selection of Mowie Wowie. So like F20+ not in Hawaii. Hence it being a squat indica.
My buddy has been breeding on Hawaii since the 90's as well as in Humboldt. So he gets to grow the same thing out in two different locations and there's a huge phenotypic difference from the same season, so theres a pronounced genetypic difference from breeding on or off the Islands for generations.

Lolo94

Considering how many how many micro climates exist on the big island ( all but permafrost), you can also get multiple phenotypic expressions there in one season also and genotypic differences over many generations of breeding. Another thing to consider (as you describe with the BEL seeds) is that alot of the Hawaiian strains were and are hybrids with some indica in their lineage its likely that the indica is expressed more in a less tropical environment and vice versa.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
fetch

Dirtboy808

Veteran
I'm playing with this line now. It was given to me, Old School ( Golden Voice x Hawaiian[ mid 80's on Maui] )x God Bud [crosses in 2011] I found a Old School dom. Also I'm getting a Old School cut in a few weeks. That was a complete surprise, thought she was gone. Sharing with people saves the day. Here is what I call GO-6 She has a strong Tropicana smell not sweet. A for sure old sativa smell. Smoke report in a month.
Aloha DB

Attachments

• photo2031179.jpg
    photo2031179.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 49
  • photo2031180.jpg
    photo2031180.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 53
  • photo2031181.jpg
    photo2031181.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 52
  • photo2031185.jpg
    photo2031185.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 50

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Mahalo Maha Kala Hell of a year. I just scored some seeds. Got them from the FlyinHawaiian a couple of days ago. He got them from the same source as the Molokai Frost.
Citrus Kush x Diesel. His buddy made these 6 years ago from some of the last seeds he got from his uncle ( The General). Hawaiian said the Diesel was a epic cut he lost. I have a pheno of the Citrus Kush aka Molokai Citrus Kush. She is super tasty.
So now both lines I'm playing with have their roots in Maui County in the mid 80's. Been raining for a few months now.
Here is the Hawaiian Cherry Kush ( Molokai Citrus Kush x Black Mamba) was just a test run. These were from late fall.
DSC_0460.JPG
DSC_0461.JPG
DSC_0459 (2).JPG
DSC_0454.JPG

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Sunny day she is around 40% and a rainy day 85%
Night with a dehuie running and closed up 60% with no dehuie 98%

ctg

Veteran
DB, can’t wait to be there. Lots of work before and prob a shit load after. Beauty shots, some fine cannabis