What's new

Milk Crate root pruning pots

easy

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier or not, but here's an idea I saw for cheap hard sided root pruning pots:

They find milk crates and wrap the sides and cover the bottoms like was shown in the 20gal rope handled root pruning tubs (posted on Tom's large plant thread). The 20's are handy, but these construct and breath easier, and place better than the 20s do. If the bottom fabric is left out and placed over well prepared ground soil they might work for a short season od/gh garden.

I imagine that these could be handy for indoor work too. Easy to mount individual scrogs to if that's your gig.

A 3' x 50' roll of that 6 oz/sq yard geotextile landscape fabric is enough to make 24 milk crate liners. Heavy fabric works best (same thread).

Photo below shows them double stacked for height/soil volume, just leave the top ones bottom off (not my pic).

Edit: We had on hand from earlier hydro grows a bunch of no longer needed air pots... these were fabric lined and recycled into hard sided root pruning starter pots. Studies have shown that air pruning starts expand root mass much better when transplanted than with standard pots.

picture.php

Last edited: