What's new

RIP Owsley

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
the world has lost one of the most important people in history. Augustus Owsley Stanley III died in a car accident near his house in Australia. Please take a moment to remember this incredible human being and what he has done for humanity. I feel like a piece of me was taken.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/03/13/psychedelic-icon-owsley-stanley-dies-in-australia/

“I wound up doing time for something I should have been rewarded for,” he told the Chronicle’s Joel Selvin. “What I did was a community service, the way I look at it. I was punished for political reasons. Absolutely meaningless. Was I a criminal? No. I was a good member of society. Only my society and the one making the laws are different.”

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
a few words from Phil Lesh as posted on the Furthur message board...

A Beautiful Mind

I received a text in the middle of last night that Bear Stanley has died in a car accident in Australia. Bear, for me, was a true kindred spirit; when we first met, it was as if I had met a long-lost brother from another lifetime. I am heartbroken and devastated at his passing.

He was a friend, a brother, an inspiration, and our patron at the very beginning of our creative lives. We owe him more than what can be counted or added up- his was a mind that refused to accept limits, and he reinforced in us that striving for the infinite, the refusal to accept the status quo, that has informed so much of our work.

He never gave up his quest for pushing the limits of whatever he was working on. We had just been discussing his concept of point-source sound reinforcement in relation to a new project of mine, and his vision incorporated the latest developments in technology and perceptual research.

My heart goes out to his family, for whom he had such love and pride- his wife Sheilah, his children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren- who have lost their patriarch.

A mind like Bear’s appears very rarely, and it’s been my privilege and honor to have known and loved two such minds- Jerry and Bear. I always laugh when I think about what Jerry once said about Bear: There’s nothing wrong with Bear that several billion fewer brain cells wouldn't fix.

I am eternally grateful for all of the gifts that Bear brought to the scene and to the music.
Fare you well; I love you more than words can tell.

- Phil

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Wow , theres an icon gone ,
i havent heard anything on this until seeing th is post .
sad news , bear always had such good parties ..
he will be missed ...
for his age he was a very strong guy , he attributed it to taking lsd everyday ,, lol ..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
damn wally, you were able to hang with him down there?
not really , i used to see him regularly at the hardware shop , but i didnt head out to the partys ,
they were quite popular among the young folk ,
they sure love that lsd he had ..
"albert hoffmans" was the fave if i recall ...
his wife owns a shop in a local town , very nice woman ..

i had planned to head out there with some bubble hash as i guessed with the cancer he was having trouble imbibing ,, but i left it too late apparently ...

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
still, more interaction than most people have had with him for the last few decades. I heard he was in the US for dead tour in '09 and at a special acid test in the bay that summer, but he was probably well out of public eye.

I'm sure your medicine would have been appreciated, his medicine he produced changed the world.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
agreed man ..
Not that many really knew who he was here , he certainly chose the right place to be , lots of cool hippy folk lived out where he did .

I told the young folk that were lucky enough to taste his lsd how lucky they were , and that most in our world would envy them ..

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
yeah, those young aussies definitely have no concept of how special those experiences are. they were participating in something sacred, a ritual that has been almost dead in the US since the mid 70s, and they were being guided by the master that guided our country through those times.

designer

So many fallen soldiers in the past couple of years, so many pioneers.

Growing up we called it Owsley acid. I believe he made Window Pane and that was something you would remember if you ever experienced. A person for his time and someone that shaped the times.

Peace on Bear

I dont take ACID much anymore but tonight in honer I would if I could! I am very sad! The Bear will be missed! I bet BEAR took some acid with him in the afterlife! Now JERRY,PIGPEN,BRENT and all the other dead PRANKSTERS have a hookup!! The BEAR will live in my memories or lack there of forever!! Who are the DEAD and why are they following me?!?!?!

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
If I didn't have so much work to do, I'd be taking some sacrament tonight. definitely this week I will have some alone lsd time to connect with the cosmos.

p.s. there was an LSD reference on the simpsons tonight. fitting....

Latest posts

Latest posts