What's new

FreeMan's Funk Farm

FreeMan

Greetings one and all :tiphat:

I've been mulling over the thought of starting a thread for a while now and I think that time has come. The 'Funk Farm' is one of many things, as well as it being a source of medication and spiritual sacrament, it is also my temple and a quest for some freedom in 'the matrix' which most of us live in today.

Anyway, enough blabbering... on with the show :headbange

I think we'll start with a few shots of the last round.

Field Marshall 'Haze Kush'

Field Marshall 'Lady Berry Kush'

OJD's 'Platinum Amnesia'

Karma Genetics 'Jack Cheddar'

Rez 'ChemdogDDxChemdog'

All hand-watered daily to very little run-off, which sits in the dish underneath and has usually been drank by the next day.

Here's the coco I'm using. It's very course, more shredded than powdered, unlike Canna. I tried Canna a while back and didn't really like the way it behaved, I'm getting on much better with this stuff. It's also a lot easier for me to transport in brick form too. I re-use it almost straight away after each run, just sterilise with boiling water, flush through with PH'd water and re-plant.

Nutrients are down to Advanced Sensi Grow & Bloom, PH'd to 5.5-5.8. Found some unsavoury statistics about them recently so I'm going to switch to the Iguana Juice as soon as I can. I did check GH but I wasn't filled with much confidence in either Flora or Floranova.

Here's a little overview of my main setup. 2 x 600HPS hanging bare vertically with an oscillator under and ring of plants around each. I have a 3rd 600 and space for another ring in that room too but I didn't have anything in veg ready to go into flower. Attention has been elsewhere... all (you need to know) will be revealed

Next round is about 5 weeks in. In the line up we have -

4 x Karma Genetics Jack Cheddar
2 x Field Marshall LadyBerryKush
1 x Field Marshall HazeKush
3 x BOG LifeSaver
2 x Sam Skunkman's Original Haze x Skunk#1
3 x Alien Express

Also throw a clone or two in there now and again to see how they stretch/behave/sex etc. I think there's only one Mosca C99 and a HazeKush at the moment. Just waiting for roots.

I'm sometimes in the mood for words, sometimes pics. Today was a pics day so I'll leave it there for now. I'll take shots of everything else going on as we go. Any suggestions for improvement will be gratefully received.

Thanks for joining me, and stay tuned for the next episode where we'll be looking at some nug shots, taking a tour of the 'LifeSaver Lab' and seeing what up and coming varieties will be battling for their permanent stay in the Funk Farm.

:ying:

EDIT: Just want to mention that most of the genetics I'm working with have been donated by generous people who frequent these boards. Without them none of this would have been possible. To those, they know who they are, my eternal gratification :bow:

BigOrangeJim

Sighn me up for class..haha.. I find this coco growing interesting...dirt warrior myself..

1. those look like small pots..2gal?
2. did u 12/12'em at 2-3 weeks from seed?
3. Jack Cheddar looks awesome..:good:

FreeMan

Hey BigOrangeJim :wave:, thanks for taking a seat.

Yes the pots are between 2-2.5 gallons, sometimes use very small pots if I want to try a plant out. All plants had a good few weeks veg from clone. I always start my seeds and sex them before I do a run with them. The Jack Cheddar is awesome too, I've found a nice pheno which is a good balance of cheese and haze. The shorter one is much more cheese leaning but it's bomb as well!

Forgot to mention that room is perpetual 12/12, just so happens most the stuff in there went in at the same time.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
awesome job Freeman

very glad to see you start a thread here. definitely looking very dank so far bro. taking a front row seat for this show. :kos:

:wave:

FreeMan

Hey gaiusmarius, great to have you along for the ride bro :good:

I'm in a full out war with the odours at the minute, Jack Cheddar is such a cheesy/fruity girl, and one of the chems is all rotten meat :beat-dead

mg75

oh... and your returns might diminish with switching to iguana juice in coco.
hydro nutrients tend to work better. take a look at ionic 1 part coco/soil.

FreeMan

Thanks for your interest and tips MG. I'm going to look into the nutrient thing further.

I'm not sure about plant averages yet as this is the first run I've done like this, dry weights in around a weeks time.

EDIT: one of the Jacks is dry, weighed in at just over 3oz.

touringfunkband

Freeman-
All of your plants looks great, but that "Haze Kush" and "Jacks Cheddar" in particular look sick!!! The colors and density on those ladies is very impressive. Are these particular pheno's you selected of the strain or are these attributes common with them.

I'm also curious what it was about Canna coco and GH nutes that you didn't like?

FreeMan

Hey touringfunkband, thanks for the kind words. Both the HazeKush and Jack Cheddar have produced stellar plants from seed without much need for selection. Both those Jacks came from just 3 seeds popped, and the HazeKush is one of 3 too. The other two are going to be sticking around for a bit too.

As far as the Canna went, I just couldn't seem to get the feed right. It seemed like it needed a lot of run-off each time to keep it stable so I tried something a little more course and I got on with it a lot better. I might re-visit the Canna at some point though and see if I can get to grips with it. It's much more readily available here than the other stuff.

I haven't tried GH nutrients yet, but like Advanced Sensi they contain heavy metals and I don't really like the sound of it. Not sure if it's anything to worry about but I think it's time to switch to organic anyway. I'm going to try and stick with coco and maybe go town the tea/castings/guano route. Still looking into it at the minute though, a lot to get through.

FreeMan

Thanks guys, very happy to hear all your positive comments. We're gonna keep on going till the very end so I hope you all stick around.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Looking really nice.

Have you tried Atami's Becuzz line? I believe it is organic and I believe the "Bloom" nute really adds to the taste of my plants.

The LVPK cut I run is foundation of the Alien line (or so I've been told). Funny how small the world is. I've recently popped a few beans of Asteroid (LVPK x Nevil's Haze), wonder how she'll look compared with your haze kush?

It'll be fun to watch them grow!

:joint:

FreeMan

Hey Hydrosun, funny you should mention Atami B'cuzz as I did use the 'Hydro' for a short while and found it was ok. I've just had a dig in my nute cupboard and there's still half a bottle of A+B left. I might just give it a try on a few plants first. Atami say it's in 'bio-mineral' form which I'm guessing is the same as what Advanced are trying to pass off as 'organic', a mineral based nutrient devised from organic substances. Were you talking about the 'Hydro' or 'Coco' nutrient in particular?

Asteroid sounds interesting too man, I really want to get my hands on some good Neville's though now you mention it.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hydro bloom nute is just wonderful :D

I have no experience in coco, besides smoking my friends ;)

:joint:

FreeMan

I'll def give it a try Hydrosun and let you know how it does in the coco.

Have a couple more shots for y'all... here's what's happening on the other side of time and space, quite literally. These are on flip with the vert setup. I can't decide which of these 2 BOG LifeSaver phenos I like best so the only way to decide is a head-to-head grow off. Both were mother plants in 10 litre pots, gave them the upgrade to the 40ltr hempy and threw the net over them, as well as 1200w of 50/50 HPS and MH. I'm a hempy virgin so wish me luck! This is day 0 of 12/12, flipped yesterday (I usually start counting a day or two after).

Take care all :tiphat::ying:

FreeMan

Thanks DG, I'm sure your HazeKush will be a smasher. Out of every one I've popped they've all been winners in their own right.