What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ECSD versus SD

Chem&M

I've been told there is no difference a bunch of times too. I don't disagree......

.... however, I do see alot of different Sour Diesel's out there. I have 3 cut's all labeled Sour D and the one that I think is the best expression was the one labeled ECSD. The other one's I have, one from Pure Dispensary, and a gifted cut, show a much more Sativa expression.

I think the answer is supposed to be no. Agreed. However, it's probably yes in more cases only because of all the weird cuts of it I see around.

When you get her, you know though. Just my thoughts.

dustin27

Veteran
Sour Diesel IBL was based off of the original ECSD clone only. SD IBL is pretty much ECSD in seed form.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Sour Diesel IBL was based off of the original ECSD clone only. SD IBL is pretty much ECSD in seed form.

I'm not gonna knock Rez because I had a bad experience with SD IBL. People have found some ECSD phenos from the seeds sometimes they can be better. If you can get the cut, get the cut. If not then your best chances at getting ECSD is with the SD IBL. :joint:

C

C-ninetynine

I've got some Alphas running now which are the ibl x ECSD. Supposedly, the Alpha's are as close to the ECSD as you can get in seed form*. My understanding, and Rez please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the ibl was (once again) crossed with the ECSD to begin the next generation of ibl: From these (Alpha) offspring, the BXing and shoring up of the genetic for yield, consistency, etc. was undergone to produce the next SD ibl. At least this theory would explain the larger amount of variation from the ibl in the Alpha's as well as the price difference and imo the Alpha's lighter, sativa leaning structure in some phenos. I'm out on a bit of a limb here, so feel free to shoot me down :)

On a side note- Mota's Sour Turbo (F2) via San is Kush City baby. You know the structure -- bud on a stick with a few leaves popping out, lollipops, etc. Looks to me to be an F2 of RM's (Kush) SD. As much respect as I have for the two, I don't believe the DSD 2 x 2.5 or the 3 x 2.5 story for a minute. Next to the (Kush) Sour Turbo's, the Alphas indeed appear sativa leaning. Only been a month of flower and I'm comparing it to the Kushy (70 day) ST. One or two of these Alpha's appear to be big gals, but I'm assuming that's from the ibl side o things. I know all the Alpha's will pack it on later. I think some have said that the ECSD yields better than the ibl? But I still expect the ibl's that I run next to be more consistent in size and yield than the Alpha's. I don't know if they will be as potent.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to Rez's SD in seed: Rez, you gots a monopoly on the real deal, you bastid :)

* Whenever I hear claims of an unstable, polyhybrid cut in seed form, I always hear it with a healthy dose of skepticism

merlin123

ICMag Donor
Thanks everyone you eliminated my confusion. So I would assume the ECSD is the same as New York City Diesel?

C

C-ninetynine

No, the NYCD is Soma's and different. But it was what was initially used to cross to the ECSD clone. Over time, Rez (and I assume we're talking about his seeds here) kept crossing back to the P1 ECSD cut and then stabalizing for the ibl release. My understanding is that the NYCD is great erb. Some say it's not as potent, but some like it since it's sans any hermie probs which, for some people, can be an issue (so here's a fuckin tissue lol).

IMO Chaco is the inhouse ECSD expert- his excellent thread is hovering around the top here. If you are really interested in comparing the two, I would use his thread as a reference for the ECSD and then search Rez's forum for some ibl reports for counterpoint.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
check my signature, you ll find some details and picts on the SD.

There are/were some very nice individuals to find in the IBL, the one cut riri that is around france is definetly more potent than the ECSD clone, while tasting more sour.

NYCD is less potent than the original diesel line, but its interest lies in some of the best fruity/dieselish flavors around.

Dr.Know

The term East Coast Sour Diesel was coined by Rezdog back in the days of OverGrow.
At that time the original Sour Diesel clone was making its way across the country and Rez thought that the SD clone floating around Cali/left coast was different than the original so he termed the phrase ECSD(of course it was all the same clone).

Now that Rez has developed a seed line of SD most people have started calling the original clone ECSD and refer to his work as sour diesel.
Old timers who have had the clone as long as Rez still call it by its original name, Sour Diesel.

OsWiZzLe

The term East Coast Sour Diesel was coined by Rezdog back in the days of OverGrow.
At that time the original Sour Diesel clone was making its way across the country and Rez thought that the SD clone floating around Cali/left coast was different than the original so he termed the phrase ECSD(of course it was all the same clone).

Now that Rez has developed a seed line of SD most people have started calling the original clone ECSD and refer to his work as sour diesel.
Old timers who have had the clone as long as Rez still call it by its original name, Sour Diesel.

Good Info

REZDOG

Veteran
Soma's NYCD is Sour Diesel x Hawaiian Afghan. :joint:

No,it's certainly NOT.
Not in the least.
Soma's "NYC Diesel" contains NO Sour Diesel in its' lineage,and very little authentic "diesel",at all. Period.
Soma conveniently "re-wrote history" three or so years ago and started stating that "sour diesel is the mother of his "NYCD".
It's a fat load of shit,a statement designed to sell more NYCD seeds now that demand is way down since Authentic Sour Diesel seeds hit the scene from Reservoir a few years ago.
Soma's my friend,but God bless him,he's full of shit where diesel knowledge is concerned.
The fact is,Soma's "NYCD" is An NYC-purchased "diesel" bagseed x Shantibaba's Affie/Hawaiian father.
That was listed on his website,but was taken down wen his new story started circulating. Good for him,not so good for the grower.

Interesting Little Factoid: I named The Sour Diesel Clone "ECSD" specifically for a High Times article when Sour D won "Plant of the Year",several years back.
(When the HT Staff & I were still speaking,lolol!)
....I did this mainly so the cali crew would stop re-naming The Sour D Clone over & over,at will, (as they do most everything-see "kush" tacked on to everything available at Harborside,ROF!) and to give credit for the Sour Diesel Clone where it's due: The East Coast,where it was found,grown,and made famous.

Reservoir continues to work & release The Sour Diesel IBL Line,it's definitely Reservoir's proudest achievement to date.

Cheers!