What's new

SSGC – Super Silent Growing Closet

LoyzeGrower

Hello!

I've been growing mj for some time now (cca 5 years) and have done some outdoors and indoors, but this year i decided to make it really good, to last for few years without changing. Main goal is, to make a mothers and clones area and a flowering area, so i can do an indoor or two in a year, but mostly to prepare myself for outdoor season. In the meanwhile, veggies will be sunbathing there.

Now I have the plan mostly finished and I want your opinion, sugestions, critics, etc.

--links to the photos are below--

In the designing process I tried to make this closed as silent as possible, and to make it look like an ordinary closet, without strange holes and doors, etc. Restrictions were mostly equipement related. I decidet to do this, with the vents, lights, equipement I already have at home.

To make the closet silent and ''normal'' i've put all the holes (IN/OUT) on the back of the closet.
Almost all of the pipes and vents are also hidden in the back.

Upper area is a vegetation area (75cm X 40cm, height 76cm). I've decided to put 4 CFL vertically. So it is ok for motherplants (20cm+) and clones (5cm+) at the same time. Lights can be moved left-right to achieve optimal distance light-plant.

Lower area is for flowering and is devided from vegetaton area with cca 6cm of thermal insulation. I have HPS 250w with cooltube with a seperate ventilation circut. I plan to have 20 pots (size:15/15/20) on 95cm X 65cm, height 97cm, and I'll be growing in sog technique.

All intakes will be pasive, OUT flowering vents are 150m3/h, and i have 2 whitch will make 2 OUT lines, so one can go down/ be turn off; all other vents are comp vents. All vents will be elesticaly fixed on main construction.

All electricity, timers, weather stations will be stored left of the vege box, in the eye-height. All the data-machinery will be placed so you see everything when you open the closet (but not growing or electricity area).

Each growing area will have tent style door from waterproof, airproof and light proof fabric so I can have only 2 ground-celing doors on the outside of the closet, making it look like a normal closet and when i open the door, plants don't get exposed to the light. Second reason is, that it will help with the sound/ smell problem.

And now some questions:

• What to fill in a muffler, but to be suitable for a living area? So no dangerous materials, please. I know i could use old clothes, cardboard, or smth similar. Would normal wool work, has anybody tried that?
  • What to do, to make the closet as silent as possiblle?
  • What type of auto-watering system would you suggest? In a separate closet.
  • What type of humidity system would you suggest?

• What do you thing about overall design?
I hope you guys can help me and my (soon-to-become) growing closet.

Have a nice one & take care!
LoyzeGrower

panoramic shot

basic frame (still considering if needed at all)

lights, ventilation, etc

closet with plants

the back of the closet

ventilation

section A

section B

vegetation area, arialview

flowering area

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
looks good. I recommend you DO go with that frame, or find some other way of binding your walls at 90 degrees. .5 inch plywood does tend to warp a bit with temperature fluctuations and humidity.

LoyzeGrower

tnx for your comment.

i was thinking about it and decided to go with the frame, but smaller. besides that i also plan to make corners extra strong with L-shaped steel.

LoyzeGrower

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
tnx for your comment.

i was thinking about it and decided to go with the frame, but smaller. besides that i also plan to make corners extra strong with L-shaped steel.

LoyzeGrower

Yeah, i considered using L brackets in place of a frame, but the thing that I like about the frame is that it gives you an extra piece of wood along the seam where your corners come together. If you glue, screw and caulk the frame when you add the exterior pieces, you have virtually ensured that the cab will be 100% light proof, 100% leak proof (except for potential issues in any openings / doors) and warp-resistant.

If I were to rebuild my current micro-cab I would include a frame. The center of the cab is stable enough because of all the walls needed for air-circulation, but the edges have definitely warped a bit over 2 years of use, which required a bit of 'macguyvering' in order to fix.

LoyzeGrower

yup. my thouths also.
+ you can put a screw anywhere you want if you need to.
+ you don't have to care about all the holes/loadbearing.

do you have any other second thoughts about the closet?

LoyzeGrower

LoyzeGrower

tnx.
I tried to make it as usefull as possible and found out that moving vertical could do that.

any f*ck-ups you see in the design?

LoyzeGrower

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I've been looking at this a couple times a day for a couple of days. Still haven't come up with anything to complain about. What'd you do this in? Almost looks like you used illustrator.

The vert-cloner is beautiful. Expect to see many many copies of it in the next year.

Last edited:

LoyzeGrower

Still haven't come up with anything to complain about.

that's nice. :)
I used archicad for everything. very usefull program, but also a complex one to learn.

If there will be many many copies I'll be very very happy.

LoyzeGrower

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
How do you plan to mount the CFLs in the top, and am I seeing correctly that you're only gonna have the CFLs on one side of the mothers? I'd add another row of CFL behind the moms so they're getting light from both ends.

What kind of wattage CFL? 40w? or bigger? If it's just clones and moms (and especially if you added a couple behind mama) you could get by with low wattage bulbs. 4x23w should keep mom and clones healthy. Maybe even less.

Will you be vegging in the bottom chamber? Or will you be vegging next to mama? If the latter, you might need more light on that side of the chamber.

Also.. I'm sure it would be a major pain in the ass, but if you could find a way to get all your passive intakes in the BOTTOM of the cab and then raise it 1" off the ground you will probably do better with your temps. If this is going to be in a closet and the exhaust and intake are all on the back wall of the closet, there won't be much of a temperature difference between them, which could lead to an escalation in temps within the cabinet as warm air exhausted from the cool tube exhaust gets sucked into the intake for veg....

How will you exhaust the closet itself to prevent temps and stale air?

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Looks very well thought out, nice work... I would move the wall of CFL's to the other side of the moms, in my exp, clones root better with weak reflected light. I feel if those bulbs are bright enough to grow the moms, they will be too bright for the clones...

LoyzeGrower

4x CFL are fixed on vertical aluminium rod, which can be moved left-right so lightsource can be adjusted to correct distance. and can be put anywhere in the cloning area. CFLs are going to be on one side of motherplants and are 23w.

there won't be much vegging at all.
For indoor phase: Motherplant (upper area) - clones (upper area) - SOG (lower area).
For outdoor phase: Motherplant (upper area) - clones (upper area) - vegging (lower area)- OUT.

I'll think about putting all the intakes on the bottom, but kinda doubt it. It is not going to be in a closet, but in a room and i hope that temperature wont be a problem. Maybe i could put something to split areas for warm/cold air and prevent mixing.

tnx for your brainwork!!!
LoyzeGrower