What's new

Flowering plants in CenCal in Jan-march?

reyes9672

so im putting up a greenhouse carport kinda like the ones on the website here.... i was wondering with the light the way it is now if i tried to SOG like 40 1' plants if they would flower and finish before the days started getting too long? i live in central cali i would say were getting about 11 almost 12 hours of light now so by march april we would be at maybe 14 hrs? any help would be appreciated :thank you:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
U need to use light deprevation.blackout tarps.....the days will slowly start to lengthen.......even that 1-2 minute variance each day will freak out U'r plants..............go black tarps and keep the light schedule right........

mrktwiz

:yeahthats what he said....

I am going to build a greenhouse on a *very* private deck off my master bedroom. I was also going to try and grow year round, I am going to experiment with "blackout drapes" on some kind of timer and a way to open/close them automatically to make sure you get that 12 x 12 cycle, have not worked out all the bugs yet but it is an idea I've had for a while.

I hope yours works out and I will keep watching to see how yours develops so good luck and grow on brother!

reyes9672

thats what i was thinking made sense... i was reading about tarp systems on gate open/close sytems just set up vertically if u get what im saying :joint: ..... but thanks for the input ill post pictures and have a log once i get it set up hopefully this week

zenoonez

Veteran
Actually I don't think you will have a problem at all. I think there is a member here who runs a greenhouse for two harvests, one in spring/summer and one in the fall/winter and he does so with no blackout drapes.

Edit: Here ya go, Kmk420Kali is the one running the GH both a personal and a collective one, he says as long as they are out and ready to flower by 4/1 you should be fine. link -> http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=201063&highlight=greenhouse

Last edited:

Mrgrowem

Just so happens I too, live in the valley. I've tried to grow in the winter in a greenhouse but it's way to cold...The plants won't grow. If you live in the fog laden areas it becomes even more difficult as the days never warm to over 40 degrees for sometimes weeks on end. You'll have to provide the plants with some heat, and talk about expensive ! Another thing of concern is the length of daylight. Even though the calculation is currently near 12 hours, if your protected by mountains to your east or west then the days will be near an hour shorter.

No matter what, keeping them warm will be a big issue. Of course if your up out of the fog then at least you'll get some heating days. There's no way they'll grow during the night though without additional heating.

I bring mine in at night and keep them at 90 degrees so they'll put on growth at night too. I use a large wooden box for their 13 hours of "heated" dark time. If the days are to short they get artificial light to help augment them to 11 hours of total light time.

Greenhouses are great but not while it's cold. At 50 degrees they won't grow. If it's less than 60 degrees your plants will grow very slowly and droop their leaves. At 70 degrees they grow quickly and begin to lift their leaves. At 75 to 110 degrees they become harder to control and veg real damn fast.

A greenhouse works best to extend the growing time "March through November", unless one wants to invest lots of money.

D

Durdy

I live a bit south of you reyes and if you check my winter greenhouse link in my sig you'll get an idea of what you'd be dealing with. Mine is absolutely bare bones, just pots coco and plants. I think they would have been happier in soil. I only water them once a week. Lack of light and cold temps is definitely the culprit in their less then stellar results. However i need to get some pics up cuz these bitches are FROSTY and are going to make some really killer hash and edibles, I'd definitely do it again next winter.

Peace :tiphat:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Actually I don't think you will have a problem at all. I think there is a member here who runs a greenhouse for two harvests, one in spring/summer and one in the fall/winter and he does so with no blackout drapes.

Edit: Here ya go, Kmk420Kali is the one running the GH both a personal and a collective one, he says as long as they are out and ready to flower by 4/1 you should be fine. link -> https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=201063&highlight=greenhouse

Thank you zenoonez...yes, they will flower, and finishing is very strain dependent-- Our Afghani Kushes do it no problem...but OG's, HDF, Skywalker...they tend to try and reveg mid June-- I built a blackout tarp for them in a portion of our grow-- Here is a pic of it-- The plastic has PVC taped to the outer edge...I just use 2 sticks, and can roll the whole barn out in about 15 mins--:tiphat:

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
yes, they will flower, and finishing is very strain dependent

:yeahthats

if you dont light dep starting 12/12 indoor, until flowering stage is well etablished, makes harder for the plants to reveg once moved out in my experience.

GL

=K

trybud

I always dirt up a few clones and put them under 24 hrs starting in Jan and putting them outside around March 1st(temperature dependent)...maybe i really will do another 'Flowerhouse of Stash' thread....

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
sup kmk420 i'm lovin ur gh....can i ask how big is ur greenhouse? i plan on getting 4 car ports and putting then together

Carports will work great, depending on your weather conditions--
The GH I posted is pretty large, the pics I posted are of one of the original bldgs...we added onto that, and is 6000 sq ft total--
We are in the desert, so very hot in the summer, so we have the solid sides with the poly carb roof, so we can run Swamp coolers--
Took a couple years to dial in...but working out great now!!:tiphat:

reyes9672

thanks for all the help everyone i like that tarp idea and you did it very well it looks like.... i am doing a carport myself i was wondering what plastic everyone uses and whats the best way to strap the plastic to the metal poles?

It can get pretty cold here even though were here on cali's Central Coast. I am between Monterey Morro Bay. A greenhouse heater on a thermostat will help loads! We just had some sub 30 degree nights.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
We are in the desert, so very hot in the summer, so we have the solid sides with the poly carb roof, so we can run Swamp coolers--
:tiphat:

Apologies for sending this off on a tangent, but I also live in a dry enough climate to use swamp coolers. I've wondered if regularly pouring some liquid odor killer into the swamper would work for odor control.

Latest posts

Latest posts