Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Bababooey's 600w+400w grow, Coco, 2 gallon Smartpots, Maxibloom, Calmag.

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Bababooey's 600w+400w grow, Coco, 2 gallon Smartpots, Maxibloom, Calmag. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 AM #1
Bababooey
Horse-toothed Jackass

Bababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to all
Bababooey's 600w+400w grow, Coco, 2 gallon Smartpots, Maxibloom, Calmag.

I've posted a grow log (long since abandoned) and a mushroom log but since then have mostly posted pics just on the midwest grower's thread in my sig. But I've been refining my growing technique and decided now is the time to try a proper grow log.

The situation: A 3x3 tent with a 400w MH in a horizontal hood and a 4x4 tent with a 600w HPS hanging vertically.

Medium: Coco amended with perlite and vermiculate. I use the compressed bricks from GH; for each brick I'd say I add in at least 12 cups of perlite and 3 cups of vermiculite. That mix gives me just about 6 gallons of medium, which is enough to fill 3...

Containers: 2 gallon Smartpots, those pots made out of strong fabric which airprunes your roots. This feature plus the coco will sustain large plants, 3-4 footers, so long as they are properly...

Irrigation: Tropf-Blumats, the Patio and Deck kit. The blumats are austrian made gravity fed driplines controlled by ceramic cones buried in the medium. The cones sense the dryness of the surrounding medium and when it gets dry, they open up the driplines to let water through. When the medium is saturated, they close up and the driplines stop.

This is the second time I'm running these blumats and they work well if you dont have complications. My last harvest I had blumats in 3 gallon plastic containers of my coco mix, and I removed some rootballs after letting them dry for weeks. The bottom of each rootball was a brown, spongy mass in the exact shape of the container. I took that as a sign of pretty good root growth, as well as coco's amazing ability to retain water.

Nutes: .7 to 1 tsp Maxibloom, 3-5ml Calmag per gallon of water. Ph down to 5.5 to 6.0.
My water is Chicago tap water. I've read the water report and it has mild alkalinity, about 100 ppm. It's ok to use for growing but i think it might raise ph over time; with Coco, which is hydro, I need to ph down to 6 or below for best results. Nute lockout occurs at ph 6.5 or above. Ime.

Also, I've found out that coco likes to hold onto calcium; i thought my chicago tap water would add extra calcium but I was having slow growth/lockout issues until I started using a Calmag additive. I'm using Botanicare's calmag but I'm sure any of them would have worked for me.

The Maxi has cal and mag in it and Ive heard of growers using it successfully without any additives in coco. I may try to phase it out down the road but for now the plants really like the regimen so why fix something that isnt broke?

So the Maxi and calmag are my base nutes. My last res I mixed 14 gallons of tap with 9tsp of MaxiB, 9tsp of Calmag, ph downed to 5.5. The EC on my Milwaukee pen came out to 1.5, which is about 750ppm.

This feeding regimen is on the light side. I supplement feedings every 3-4 days. I mix up a gallon jug of whatever amendments (bloom boosters, silicon, etc) or other ferts that I think it needs and usually give each plant 1-2 cups of the mix.

This is pic of the flowering tent. Because of the angle its hard to tell but theres 7 plants in there. Some of them, especially the one in the back, show ph lockout and calmag deficiency and will never really fully recover unless i veg them out a long time. They should still produce some bud though, just not as much as they should have.

This is a pic of the veg tent, which has not suffered from the ph and calmag issues and are growing very well.
Bababooey is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM #2
freedom4ever

freedom4ever has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom4ever has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom4ever has a spectacular aura about
Nice looking setup.
freedom4ever is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM #3
AbbieDoobie

AbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really nice
Hey there, Bababooey, fellow mushie grower. How's it goin'? Good to see you growin' the dank as well. I got a Homebox S with 5 plants at 3 weeks 12/12. Seeds from MeltingPOT. Got an album with pics, if you're interested in taking a peek. Peace.

~Abbie
AbbieDoobie is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM #4
Bababooey
Horse-toothed Jackass

Bababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to allBababooey is a name known to all
Thanks Freedom. It's not the nicest or cleanest setup, but hopefully it'll serve me well.

Hey Abbie, I remember you from the mushie forum. Im actually planning on doing another mushie run, this time using pf tek (brf cakes). Hopefully I'll be setting up another thread soon to document it. If I remember correctly, you got some pretty good yields from the BRF cakes?
I took a look at your albums, the genetics sound good (SDxAK, ECSDxOGK?). Never heard of Melting Pot seeds, hopefully they turn out dank.
Do you do just the one grow a year?

Here is a pic of the res in between the two tents. Behind it is a window blocked out with panda film. The res is a 14 (15?) gallon rubbermaid container. It should actually be higher off the ground for more water pressure but the blumats still seem to work just fine. A full res lasts me about a week so leaving town for a few days isnt a problem with this setup.
Bababooey is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 AM #5
AbbieDoobie

AbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really niceAbbieDoobie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababooey View Post
Hey Abbie, I remember you from the mushie forum. Im actually planning on doing another mushie run, this time using pf tek (brf cakes). Hopefully I'll be setting up another thread soon to document it. If I remember correctly, you got some pretty good yields from the BRF cakes?
I took a look at your albums, the genetics sound good (SDxAK, ECSDxOGK?). Never heard of Melting Pot seeds, hopefully they turn out dank.
Do you do just the one grow a year?
BRF cakes is all I ever did and worked well. I'm thinking of doing the Penis Envy again, but waiting until the summer and growing them outside. The outdoor Penis Envy was the best shrooms I've ever had. So peaceful and easy going, never a bad trip, never a hangover. Spores from The Hawks Eye. Unfortunately, there is no Mushroom Forum here anymore. There is The Shroomery, which is where I might post pics if I end up doing a shroom run.

MeltingPOT is a good friend of mine and a member here. Here's a thread of that ECSDxSFVOG strain, aka 'Coastal Collision':

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=151262

Check out the last few pages to see what people are doing with that strain. I have one plant that is so beautiful looking. And, yes, I only do the one grow a year during the late fall / winter / early spring. I grow in a Homebox tent in a professionally wired outdoor 10x14 shed. I keep a small space heater in my tent to keep it warm. Sounds crazy, but it works. This is my 6th year of doing it this way.

And we are both midwesterners, too, as I've seen you post in the Midwest Growers thread. And a Breaking Bad fan, too, as you've posted a great deal in that thread I started, too. We got a lot in common.

Take care,

~Abbie
AbbieDoobie is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 AM #6
amannamedtruth

amannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to beholdamannamedtruth is a splendid one to behold
Wha oh. Comin along nicely babs.

'You forge your own chains.'
amannamedtruth is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 AM #7
sackoweed
I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!

sackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant futuresackoweed has a brilliant future
baBaboO
Howzit brother..?? Just peeping the show, so far so good all is looking nice and healthy.. I will be in & out peeping your bishes.. peace n pufs

sacKO

Can't never did anything

click the link!
sackO goes toe 2 toe with!?
sackoweed is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 AM #8
KosmoKramer
A tall, lanky doofus, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of Frankenstein

KosmoKramer has disabled reputation
Wassup. Nice setup. Been thinking of trying out those Bluemats and coc myself. Peeps sure seem to be having good results. DWC works great, but after a few years its getting old changing gallons and gallons of nutes each week.

Any way you can post a detailed water analysist, if you have one. Wink wink

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 AM #9
bobblehead

bobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant future
Looks like you're off to a good start babs...
bobblehead is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 AM #10
smoke1sun
What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or Going?

smoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nice
Lookin good as usual!!!!!

Its M.U.R.D.A. : Midwest Underground Reefer Development Alliance
smoke1sun is offline Quote