What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Define semi auto for me...

A

arcticsun

So here is the discussion at hand, in my eyes, a semi auto strain is a auto hybrid that will not automatically flower. It has autoflower in its genes, but the auto trait is not dominant.

Say you cross a lowryder to ak47.. first generation offspring will not be a full autoflower but a hybrid that will show some of the characteristics of the autoflower parent like early preflowers and vigorous growth in flower etc.. so that lr/ak47 f1 is a semi auto in my eyes and so is any auto hybrid that will not fully autoflower.

Thats what I personally think is a semi auto.

Now some will say that plants such as guerilla gold, other early strains and strains that will initiate flowering because of limited root space, stress and such also fall into the socalled semi auto category.

Imho, the minute you put a strain without auto genes into the semi auto category, then you are asking for chaos and the categories becomes pointless.

The way i see it, semi-auto as a definition only on strains with auto genetics in them, dark sensitive or early on anything else that is dark sensitive or early is a way of describing them that leaves little room for misunderstandings. Autos are autos, guerilla gold.. mighty mite.. have nothing to do with autos afaik.

Im knee deep in this discussion on another board, where some are arguing the following definition for semi autos. Imho this is asking for confusion..

Semi-Auto Plant:
This refers to a plant that has some autoflowering traits or tendencies but does not always flower at a certain chronological age. The major difference between a true autoflowering plant and a semi-auto plant is that a semi-auto plant will be able to revert to a vegetative growth pattern under a 24h light regimen and even be grown into a mother and cloned, while a fully auto plant will not be able to achieve or sustain a vegetative growth pattern for any significant length of time. A semi-auto plant will usually start flowering with a reduction in day length, or when the roots get bound or when the food is changed to a flowering formula.

Help me out here guys, let me know what you think is a semi automatic strain.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would call Auto Affie a semi auto...if its on 22 or more hrs a day its fine but anything under that it flowers.

S_a_H

A

arcticsun

I would say if it has no auto genes in it, that it is an extremely dark sensitive strain. I dont see anything automatic about its behavior. Its just like any other strain, except it needs less darkness.

Whats the limit then, would you call the danish strains that flower with any more then 4hrs darkness semi auto aswell?

We will see more and more early strains on the market, I think it would be wise to use a language that clearly distinguishes the strains with auto genes in them from the ones without.

SovietFinland

I agree with you arcticsun. Semi-automatic is just really bad terminology that should never use this category.

Autoflowering: Plants that will flower under a continuous light regime. Some strains will start flowering 20-30 days, like original Lowryder. If these so called Super-Autos that will flower automaticly - under a continuous light regime - in 50-60 days those should be called autoflowers too. Super is only a word what is used to promoting new strains. And keep them separated other autoflowers. I would be more happier, if these Super-Auto breeders just honestly tell how long it takes to flower under continuous lights until females starts flowering. Not pre-flowering, I mean fully flowering.

Early: Some will flower under 20 hours light regime, some might need 16 hours light regime or even more. These are strain that I call Earlys. Nordic outdoor growers have used early strains for a long time. If Auto Affie flower automaticly 21 hours light regime, it is extremely early strain that can be grown outdoors near polar circle like any autoflowering strain. It will very probably grow bigger and be a lot better yielder than any autoflowering strain. But it is still extremely early strain, not a autoflower or semi-auto.

The only 3 semi-automatic things that I keep in my closet: my pistol, rifle and shotgun. :shooty:

Sorry about my bad english, but I hope that I make my point clear.

SF

jerzu19

Veteran
I agree with arcticsun and SovietFinland
We have full automatic strain or just early strain not semi-auto,thats my point of view.Arcticsun thanks for sharing your opinion.

pozdro jerzu

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
I agree the term is extremely misleading and mostly a marketing move.
So we have strain with 'early' in their names that are not early at all, 'semi-auto' that finish October outdoors, 'autoflowering' that does not autoflower and so on...
The best thing on IC is that feedback from real growers help us to separate serious breeders from marketing bitches :yes:

Peace all

=K

bigwity

Veteran
yep semi auto is somthing that you can clone from and will revert back into veg under 24,0. a auto will flower under any light and the clone will only produce a small bud not a new plant.

i think thats what you guys said

Stradel

Take a look at hemp in europe it flowers like a semi exactly and the stature this are big plants ,i think its a well done cross with it,this way i can grow sativas in est europe no problem o love them and yealds are huge.

B

bruvio

I would say if it has no auto genes in it, that it is an extremely dark sensitive strain. I dont see anything automatic about its behavior. Its just like any other strain, except it needs less darkness.

Whats the limit then, would you call the danish strains that flower with any more then 4hrs darkness semi auto aswell?

We will see more and more early strains on the market, I think it would be wise to use a language that clearly distinguishes the strains with auto genes in them from the ones without.
yea this

semi autoflowering is no autoflowering at all. just very early!

mostly landraces in my book.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think semi autoflowering varieties will begin flowering as the day length shortens after the summer solstice regardless of the day length. It's that change that triggers flowering.

Tropical varieties won't flower at all if the day length is too long & therein lies the difference.

Latest posts

Latest posts