What's new

Racial and ethnic slurs and spamming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Over the last year there has been a dramatic increase in the number of complaints of members using the rep system to make racial or ethnic slurs to other members. From here on forward into the new year there will be a zero tolerance to this.

In the last year the site seems to have been used to try and hurt people with these words. I don't know if it's because we implemented a temp ban system to try and warn people instead of just perm banning these people. I chose to use the temp ban system because I know people make mistakes sometimes. But some are doing it over and over again, so it appears it's not working as a deterrent. So we may be switching back to the old ways and just perm banning people. It would save us a lot of work.

Another thing we're going to take a harder approach on is spamming. I can't fathom the hours I've spent arguing with people regarding this. And it's a mute argument. We don't make the rules, so we're not going to spend hours every day on this issue. It's disrespectful to the breeders that rely on this site to sell their seeds and that have been with us for years. If you want to showcase someone else's seeds, go to their site and do it. There will be no more disrespecting our breeders and the people that help support this site. If you don't like it, that's fine. But you're not going to disrupt the harmony of the site with the negativity resulting from the arguing. We'll be taking a stronger stance with this also.

So, from all of our family here I want to wish everyone a prosperous and safe New Years. We're going to do our best to continue to make sure all of our members are safe and no one has to be abused based on their racial or ethnic beliefs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your anticipated support with these issues..............

J

juicepuddle

Awesome I hope you go to perma ban, if they arent just trolling they will make a new account and follow the rules, and if they do just make another account to troll makes your life easier.

Good post, thanks jj

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome I hope you go to perma ban, if they arent just trolling they will make a new account and follow the rules, and if they do just make another account to troll makes your life easier.

Good post, thanks jj

Your welcome. It's nice to see someone isn't here just to stir the pot.

With the amount of breeders and seeds that we carry I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find them in your own Country.... But I think some people just want to argue and fight.

I've explained our reasoning, and that's the way it is. Our loyalty is to the breeders that have supported our site. And if you chosse to purchase seeds from a breeder that isn't with us, and that's cool, why wouldn't you want to show the grow on their forums?

What some of you call censorship, I chose to call loyalty.....

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Well JJ, just how often have I "stirred the pot" in my time here? I am sure you have the power to look at every post I have ever made. It takes a lot of percieved BS to make me even think of posting sometning like this that could be cosidered 'pot stirring", and like I said, I've been mum on many occasions previous to this one.

I am not into pot stirring, I am into pot growing, and am 40 years young, not some loudmouth pimply-faced teen. But I will call a spade a spade, no matter what. What you call loyalty, I call a gestapo-ism. After all, weren't the Gestapo and the SS loyal to Hitler?

Doesn't mean it was correct, my grandfather was Belgian Resistance. Probably where I got my low tolerance for gestapo'isms from. Runs in the genes...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to piss you off JJ, we have gotten along just fine so far. I just want to be able to help ppl grow, and you are saying I cannot. Isn't this just a right fine way to help teach ppl and to "free the weed".

I can see someone posting a grow and saying "I got these seeds from "www.igetseedfromyou.com" or wherever being spam, as a website was included. But just sharing a grow without mentioning a seedbank? C'mon, get real...even if you don't mention the strain right away, ppl are gonna ask...

Just trying to have a little common sense injected into this decision. This is my last attempt/post in this thread, as I want to GROW the pot, not STIR it!!

Peace

Edit: Agree with you 100% on the racial part tho...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see no reason to have to spam to be able to help people grow. I'm not following what you mean.

I don't think people go into Pizza Hut and promote Domino's, nor do they go into Mccy D's and promote Burger King.

Now if some of you wanted to fork out mid 5 figures for the web master, or hump up the cost of an extra server to handle the extra load that comes from spamming, we could talk. But people don't want to do that. They'd rather just call us Hitlers and the such, which is absolute bullshit I might add.

It is what it is. If people don't like it we don't force anyone to be here. But we're trying to keep this boat afloat. This isn't some 2,000 member site that costs little or nothing to run. And we want to keep it here. But giving free advertising to other companies, which costs us revenue isn't the way it's going to get done....

Last edited:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
How'd this turn into the whining about other breeders thread? I think the biggest point was don't be a doosh to people using ethic or racial slurs. Don't come running up into a sponsoring breeder's thread and give them a hassle without legitimate reasons, questions or comments.
I don't think I've personally seen any deleted threads with incidental information about other strains....especially if it's a comparison to something for a better basis of understanding of the genetics or characteristics.
I think everyone with more than a few braincells realizes what is just disguised advertising, and what is conversational/informational. The addies get bounced, the rest has historically been tolerated. It's amazing how much bitching people do when it's not on their dime.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I give up...

Edit: or instead - off on another tangent, can't argue with a closed mind. I'm fine with no addies, have never posted one to a competitor's bank.

Proof Positive of intolerant attitude - I have never instigated or argued with a decision made here since 2007. I state my opinion once and am instantly labeled as a pot stirrer, or troublemaker.

Now tell me - just where does the intolerance lie?

V- I got verboten from Castle wolfenstein and war movies. Kind of like "Achtung, Minen", with the skull/crossbones on the sign. verboten means prohibited, no? (I know very little German)

Peace

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
8. Spamming: The posting of links to other commercial websites, forums, chat rooms or communities, or commercial products are not permitted. Members who have their own website shall not be permitted to place the URL or related information in your profile area or display it in your signature, as doing so is considered advertising. There are appropriate avenues to follow regarding advertising on IC Mag. Any unauthorized advertisements will be deleted as Spam and the member banned.

8a. As a privately owned site, we retain the right to prohibit information posted in threads, posts, and signature lines that contains information pertaining to commercial products/entities that do not pay for advertisement or are not products represented by the owner of this site.
8b. Any variety of cannabis can be entered for inclusion in the IC Strain Guide and/or Grow Report section of the Strain Guide. However, posting in the forums outside of these parameters are subject to deletion as Spam.

-----

Not too hard to understand... If the owner of the site doesn't sell it, you can't have a thread about it here.

vonforne - your comments don't seem to add up with the TOU, specifically about having a grow thread & pics of strains not sold by the owner of the site. Could you clarify please?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you brother.... That sums it up.

I'm not going to get into the site finances any more after this. But if people remember OG at the end, the place ran at the pace of a snail. That's because the servers couldn't take the load. And no one wanted to spend the money to add new ones. Also, when there's a problem here and there's no webmaster handy it costs a hundred an hour for the hosting company to solve the problem. All this stuff justs keeps adding up.

Anyways, I think some people feel this place is free. It doesn't. I've taken the time to try and explain what our rational is and my apologies to those that can't understand the costs and why things are the way they are. It's senseless to sit and argue. I just wanted to let people know we're not going to continue the senseless arguing anymore. Hundreds or hours a year is spent between all of us doing that. And there's other things we could be doing.....

How'd this turn into the whining about other breeders thread? I think the biggest point was don't be a doosh to people using ethic or racial slurs. Don't come running up into a sponsoring breeder's thread and give them a hassle without legitimate reasons, questions or comments.
I don't think I've personally seen any deleted threads with incidental information about other strains....especially if it's a comparison to something for a better basis of understanding of the genetics or characteristics.
I think everyone with more than a few braincells realizes what is just disguised advertising, and what is conversational/informational. The addies get bounced, the rest has historically been tolerated. It's amazing how much bitching people do when it's not on their dime.

V

vonforne

vonforne - your comments don't seem to add up with the TOU, specifically about having a grow thread & pics of strains not sold by the owner of the site. Could you clarify please?
They are home made crosses.

G13 HP (Sensiseeds ca. 86) x Triple Moonshine (DJ)
BlueGod.....a mix of 4 different strains from vendors here. From a med user I know.
Venomhead from FJ of Mountain High seeds here at IC.
SSH......Shanti also here at IC

OLD gallery.....all seeds were bought from Gypsy....Sagamartha, Dutch Passions etc.

Which strains are you talking about?

V

Last edited:

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I was just checkin in on D's 420 light grow and read a post by you JJ......

so lemme get this straight, I can post a grow, pix, info, just not what strains I grow UNLESS they are from (directly or indirectly) ICMag vendors and/or Seedbay/boutique?

so I can't talk about my clone only Tahoe OG Kush or Blue Dream grow here simply because they aren't genetics provided by your supporters?

even if its just in a hydro forum? not any vendors sub-section?

seriously?

V

vonforne

so I can't talk about my clone only Tahoe OG Kush or Blue Dream grow here simply because they aren't genetics provided by your supporters?

The OG Kush just had Tahoe added. And it is not offered by any seed company to my knowledge.

Home made crosses not offered for sale are ok. To my knowledge.

You just cannot spam no vendors or breeders.

V

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
Your welcome. It's nice to see someone isn't here just to stir the pot.

With the amount of breeders and seeds that we carry I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find them in your own Country.... But I think some people just want to argue and fight.

I've explained our reasoning, and that's the way it is. Our loyalty is to the breeders that have supported our site. And if you chosse to purchase seeds from a breeder that isn't with us, and that's cool, why wouldn't you want to show the grow on their forums?

What some of you call censorship, I chose to call loyalty.....

I haven't been frequenting this site for quite some time but lately when I come back its to another gem like such..
Can't showcase grows of genetics not sold at the bay or boo?? Wow loyalty? What was this site created for? I thought it was to teach people how to grow? Sharing knowldge and so forth.
Why you're at it, let's ban all the bag seed grows too - you wouldn't want to lose potential seed sales to your local neighborhood pot dealer.. pathetic.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
The OG Kush just had Tahoe added. And it is not offered by any seed company to my knowledge.

Home made crosses not offered for sale are ok. To my knowledge.

You just cannot spam no vendors or breeders.

V

huh?

Tahoe OG Kush is the original "OG Kush".... every "OG Kush" out right now is a hybrid or S1 of Tahoe (or so goes the legend).

its a clone only strain and will remain that way, sure someone is probably working on an IBL right now but thats neither here nor there....

I dont get what ya mean bout the "tahoe" being added....?

This isnt my home made cross, I acquired this clone through a co op in Cali.

yeah I bought it, not made it, so that makes it not okay to post a grow log with this strain right?

thats my question, if I post in the hydro grow section, not in the vendors or breeders area, why can't I showcase non-icmag sourced genetics?

if its just "policy" to help support the vendors here, thats pretty stupid censorship..... you completely eliminate any 'growth' unless they (the creators of the genetics) happen to be financial supporters of icmag.....

edit: and what if I dont want to grow Chemdog IBL? I grow CHEMDOG, the clone only, but it ain't reservoirs so its not okay?

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Okay, so one can post a grow of whatever strain they have in the strainguide or grow report section, as long as no URL's are included as to their origin, correct?

This is acceptable to me.

/moe sits down & drinks a big glass of STFU...

Peace

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
Okay, so one can post a grow of whatever strain they have in the strainguide or grow report section, as long as no URL's are included as to their origin, correct?

This is acceptable to me.

/moe sits down & drinks a big glass of STFU...

Peace

thats REALLY not how I perceived the post. However I can completely understand THAT.

if someone is spamming links to www.otherseedsite.com or whatever, then yeah of course thats kinda shitty.

I got it as 'you cannot give info on genetics unless they are icmag vendor backed strains' not even the name.......

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I'm a newbie here by most standards. And I am not arguing or disagreeing even the slightest. It's your site and your rules, I will follow them or leave.

But I don't get get the rule about vendors/seeds. I mean I read and comprehend the TOU, but not the logic behind it. I know what you mean about being loyal to your customers also.

What I DO NOT understand is why a vendor would care if a competitors seeds are mentioned. I have always encouraged my customers to compare my prices, products, performance, and quality with my competitors'.

For instance a guy I know bought seeds 3 different times from an unmentioned vendor, twice the seeds were never delivered and when they did half wouldn't germinate and when the grow was done it wasn't even what he had ordered.

So if I buy seeds from a different vendor or breeder and they completely suck, isn't the comparison actually a good thing for ICM vendors if other members know it?

Another thing that I really DO NOT fully understand is the LACK of loyalty to the growers. Without them buying seeds and comparing different vendors doesn't it kinda undermine the vendors? I mean if a vendor here on ICM is shipping high priced crap compared to another vendor elsewhere then isn't ICM kind of cheating the members if they aren't allowed to do comparisons?

Please don't take this wrong. I'm not arguing or even debating, I am just asking because it doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.