What's new

4x55W GHS-WW SoG

Glaus

As said before: Awesome work. :good:
Your results makes me want to do a SOG coco-grow in my dresser. :)

311devon

Now this is what I'm talking bout! Very nice work. Have you every run it in a perpetual mode, cuts in and cuts out every week or two? I wonder if your yield might increase a lil with one side of the older cuts more exposed to light since they would be taller than the younger ones? Not that your yield was lacking or anything. Also, how big are those pots in volume? How often did you water?

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Oh hell yeah!
Nice pull.
Can you give us some more details on your cab construction, ballast(s), scrubber, fans, etc.
Do you overdrive your PL-Ls?
I'm a cab junkie.

BTW, props on having a handle on your tap water.
Do you use a pool/spa test kit to find the Ca and Mg ion concentrations?
I've used the spa test strips which measure total hardness (resolution sucks) and some titration drops to test for Ca hardness (resolution about 10 ppm). My understanding is Total hardness minus Ca hardness equals Mg hardness.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
I dont have any pl-l's but i'm intersested in using them so I've done some reading and research.
Phillips and Sylvania both state on their pl-l bulb spec sheets that in order to achieve the stated lumens output of 4,800 lumens for a 55 watter, you have to drive the bulbs at a higher frequency than the standard 60 hz. It basically invloves re-wiring your bulbs to fool the ballast. You dont overdrive the ballast. You overdrive the bulb. Overdriving flourescents will result in higher bulb temps and shorter life and some have been known to implode of have the glass seperate from the base socket.
Probably not worth trying for the average joe.
Output also depends on the ballast's ballast factor (BF). Ballast factor is a measure of the actual lumen output for a specific lamp-ballast system relative to the rated lumen output measured with a reference ballast under ANSI test conditions. Therefore, a ballast with a BF = 0.8 will only output 80% of the lumens of a ballast with a BF = 1.0.
If you look at the Fulham Workhorse 5 spec sheet, the 120v ballast has a BF of 0.83 while the 277v model has a BF of 1.03. Therefore, using a 277v ballast will result in more lumen output.
Will you see a 20% increase in output. The answer is no. Light follows the inverse square law. In order to see a doubling of light output, you need to have 4x the lumens.

A

asa77sol

Snazzys JillyBean

Snazzys JillyBean

deleted post

Last edited:
That's an incredible result from 220w PLL! Actually, I think that's the highest well documented g/w ratio I've ever seen from fluorescent.

Nice job!

G

gilgahash

nicely done, normally I would say flouros dont work well for sog, not enough penetration but that clearly isnt the case here...very nice:good:

Latest posts

Latest posts