What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MARLO's 2011 WINTER VERTICAL

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Starting another run with the vert scrog. :tiphat:

ROOM

2 x 400w HPS barebulb
vortex 6" Fan
Can Filter

These were just potted up to 3 gallons a few days ago. I'm still using a mix of Coco/FFOF at approx 70/30. Which is down from my usual 50/50 mix. I lowered the amount of FFOF bcus the plants don't yellow enough for me at the end of the cycle. I'd like my plants to be nice and yellow by day 70. This should help.

For this run I've lowered the plant count to 10. Last run was with 12 plants and yielded just over 20 zips. Not bad, but still alot of room for improvement. Some plants did better than others. The lower plant count will allow more space and less overlapping of the side branches. I think my training and trimming skills have improved and this should also help with reducing larf and icreasing bud.
However, high yield is not the goal here. I only check my weights to make sure my changes are improving my grows.

STRAINS

4 x Reservior Seeds San Fernando Sour
The SFV OG Kush clone gets hit with pollen from Rez's select Sour Diesel iBL males. OooooWweeeee!!!
These were started from seed. All 4 turned out to be chicks. There are 2 talll vigorous phenos that I was sure were gonna be males. The 2 shorter phenos have some nice dark leaves. One of them was smacking me with a raunchy stench when I was wrestling her into the screen. This should be fun :)

Double Strawberry Diesel
Also from Reservoir Seeds. I think everyone knows this one by now. My selected pheno from the '08 release.

4 x Spice of Life OG Kush x BS 2.2
The SFV OG Kush clone mixed with SOL's Blue Satellite 2.2
Sound like it should be another winner. I've always heard great things about SOL. This is my first run with their genetics. Wsup Koot!
Also started from seed, all four phenos turned out to be females. I have my eye on one pheno that looks very sativa-ish. Long legs on this girl. Hopefully she puts out some chunky spears. 2 others have fans that look very blueberry.

Blubonic

Got these from the weekend specials. Dropped 2. 1 germed. Turned out to be female. Great structure, dark leaves. I used to buy 1/8's of Blubonic from a delivery service around '03 - '06. Great stuff.

Its probably just a coincidence, or a lucky streak....but I haven't had a male from seed in a while. I went thru an 11 pack of Galadriel 11/11, no males. 4/5 germed on my SFS, no males. 4/5 germed on my OGxBS2.2, no males. 1/2 germed on my Blubonic, and still no males.

I popped a pack of Sour Bubble a month or so ago. I got 9/10 to pop, but one ended up sprouting a lil mutant twin, so I still have 10 plants. I'm not expecting the hot streak to continue with SB, but we'll see.

Ok. Nuff talk. Pics now

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And yes kids, you can take nice pics with the hps on.....

picture.php

Thats it for now. Gonna let em rock for a while before I flip the switch. I want to give em at least a week so more roots can set in. Depends on how crazy it gets veg'n with both lights on.

I'll get some individual shots up as the days go by.

:tiphat:

MARLO

dachieftan

sweeeet. u using some type of special lense to take those pics w/ the HPS on or is that just your awesome camera?

WoW :dance013:.... you sure got your system dialed..... nice way to cage those magnificent ladies .... what a pleasure to watch such great genetics as they mature.... im in :canabis:

t2...

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
nice shit! yea i have SOLs ogxbs too looking forward to that one..

that SFV oG x SD sounds bomb too where is that from??

D

DHF

Love the custom scrog nets Marlo......Nice clean setup......Respect.......

Killer job on angling the plants in both corners........Now build 2 custom triangle scrog nets and get another plant on each end cuz plant numbers dictate yield.....LOL........sometimes less plants are less of a hassle though.......I feel yas...

Vertical bulbs hate dead corners so the angled plants do better , and that lil spot covered in reflectix is bouncin some crazy lumens all round the room.....what size is the room........

Nice job on a DIY setup Bro...DHF........

bobblehead

Veteran
Down to 10 plants now huh? That sounds about right... I had 12 under 2 400's, and they were a bit crowded. Had to add 400w... lol

This is gonna be sweet... It's gonna be impossible to walk down the middle in a few weeks... :)

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Down to 10 plants now huh? That sounds about right... I had 12 under 2 400's, and they were a bit crowded. Had to add 400w... lol

This is gonna be sweet... It's gonna be impossible to walk down the middle in a few weeks... :)

I think 10 is gonna be the magic #.
That way I can have 5 keepers and grow 2 plants of each. :chin: Hmmm.... I don't think its gonna be too crazy. I'm learning how to keep em away from the bulbs. I'm trimming and training em to go up. Still planning to be a lil more on the over veg side of things tho.

sweeeet. u using some type of special lense to take those pics w/ the HPS on or is that just your awesome camera?

Haha.. I do have an awesome camera :).
But I used to do it with my shitty camera as well. You can adjust the white balance settings on your camera if you have custom settings.
Or, if you use iphoto or any photo editing program like it, you can change the "temperature" settings in the adjust mode. It will get rid of all the orange hps glow and restore all the normal colors.

WoW :dance013:.... you sure got your system dialed.....

Not quite, but its getting there. This is run # 5 with this setup. Should be a good one!

Welcome! :tiphat:

Cmon TT. Its a new thread!! Bless me with one of your 420,000 special smilies! :wave:

This seat taken? :lurk:

It is now....welcome! :tiphat:

that SFV oG x SD sounds bomb too where is that from??

Wsup Y4P.
Got em from a drop Rez did in january. There were only 10 or so packs.

Tagged and looking forward to another great vertical grow Marlo

Vert is the only way to go! Good to have you here MC

Good to see another run, subbed for sure!

Wsup Zendo. My 1st ever grow was with hempy's. Your grow is making me think about switching back. Mainly so i can stop all this used dirt from piling up.

Love the custom scrog nets Marlo......Nice clean setup......Respect.......

Killer job on angling the plants in both corners........Now build 2 custom triangle scrog nets and get another plant on each end cuz plant numbers dictate yield.....LOL........sometimes less plants are less of a hassle though.......I feel yas...

Vertical bulbs hate dead corners so the angled plants do better , and that lil spot covered in reflectix is bouncin some crazy lumens all round the room.....what size is the room........

Nice job on a DIY setup Bro...DHF........

Wsup DHF. Glad your in from the beginning.
The room is approx 2'8"W x 6'L x 5H(at its lowest point). And yes, that Reflectix done some fine work. One day I'm gonna put some on the cieling.
I hear you on the spaces between the plants and corners. But after these babies veg out some more, the branches from all the plants will fill those spaces nicely. When the extra plants were in there, the side branches overlapped too much...blocking light, and causing larf.
So this run, 2 less plants and see what happens. 1st run was with 15 plants/screens!!!. I've been lowering the # ever since.

Here's what my DSD mom looked like after this last run. This big bitch had plants on each side that were fighting each other for light. She did great. 3oz's...but I could have had the same or better yeild with less plants and more space IMO. Less overlap = Less Larf. I'm always fighting the larf.

picture.php

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn i am always late to the party :snap out of it:

Looking great Marlo, i got this one tagged :):)

i just flip my vert room too, hit it again and thew more plants in as well, probably gonna finish the same time as yours

cheers bro

red.

D

dubdi3mond

sup marlo looking good, im in for the ride.....

how long did you veg those girls for?

D

dramamine

Class in session! Good luck on this run, Marlo! Top ranking strains, for sure.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been about a week or so. All the girls look very healthy. I'm not sure if its the Roots Excelerator and Floralicious plus, but everything is looking great. Leaves are much darker than I'm used to, but it could be just strain related. All the stems and branches are nice and fat.
Some of the smaller girls in the front have filled in, but they are still considerably smaller than the big girls in the back.

Here is what they looked like before a trim and training session

picture.php

picture.php

Trimming is a big part of vertical growing, and is absolutely necessary when doing vscrog. Things can and will get out of hand quickly if you don't stay on top of the training. Especially during the 1st 2 weeks of flower.

The screens are starting to fill in nicely. I removed all the large fan leaves and trained the longer branches back thru the screen. The backs of the plants were also cleaned up and used for clones. I'm going for zero larf this grow.

You can see here all the large fans have been removed, and there is still plenty of vegetation to sustain a healthy plant.The light can penetrate much better. As the remaining fans get bigger, they will be removed also to make room for big juicy buds :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The timer was set to 12/12. We'll call this Day 1
Things will start getting interesting soon.

picture.php

picture.php

You can see 3 small plants in the middle of the room also. Those are 2 DSD's and Galadriel #5 that are waiting for Sour Bubble pollen. One of the DSD's is gettin big. Should make for a pile of seed.

MARLO