What's new

Run exhaust 24/7 or hook up to timer/climate controller?

250wscrogger

Would it be better to just get two of the 1KVA variacs since i'll be using two fans?
That way I can have each fan/variac on a spdt relay for reduced speed during lights off...

grow nerd

Veteran
I'm not sure it would matter as long as the Variac can support the load w/o problems, but not having a single point of failure is always better. It would definitely cost you a little more in overhead of parts and whatnot though.

250wscrogger

I'll just do one 10'' max fan on relay/variac and another 10'' max fan timed to run only during lights on.... that will keep temps/odor in check without being too cold during lights off...and the 100 pint santa fe will keep humidity under control.

I'd love to just get a nice 18000btu mini split and go sealed with co2... but I feel like that's a lot of extra power consumption for the amount it would increase yields...

250wscrogger

I haven't bought the santa fe yet... I've been looking at prices and they're $1400 for the classic (100 pint AHAM)

I'll be grabbing the santa fe right away after the first crop in my new room... using a $200 70 pint for the first round.

clampie

exhaust or venting?

exhaust or venting?

are you just exausting the room, and/or are you venting through the light(s)?
I've recently learned that pulling air through the lights can decrease motor life in the fan, as it increases the heat drawn through it. Pushing from the other end (if your venting lights is a closed system) can prolong fan life.

That being said, I've been pulling through my 1k with a 6" canfan for years with no problems. I ran it 24/7 until I got a Sentinel EVC-1, and now I use that to control heat, RH, and co-ordinate with my CO2.

best of luck!

clampie

oversized is no good?

oversized is no good?

In short
  • if the 8-in is OVERSIZED for your set-up, it is likely to meet thermal overload. If it is properly sized, it should be ok.
  • 10-in will work fine all the times

this is the first I've heard of this, please instruct me... an OVERSIZED fan is possibly a problem? I'd love to know more... is this just a problem with the 8"?

Thanks!!

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I believe the email was saying that the 8" fan will experience thermal overload from being run at a low speed for long periods of time so if the 8" is over sized for the grow and on a controller it will spend a lot of time running slow and will shut off from thermal overload.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i was thinking of going with the sante fe compact 65 pints a day....damn things pulls 600 watts though! should i just get a 15k btu portable AC with dehuey functions!!

250wscrogger

yeah the 100 pint pulls 720w but it won't need to run that often with proper air exchange...

If you go sealed with co2 you'd need an a/c and dehuey....

never really been a fan of portable a/c's because they tend to be less efficient than window units or mini splits... a lot of them also exchange air which isn't cool for a sealed room.

If you can avoid the portable somehow and get a window banger you'll probably be much happier....

I was thinking about going sealed with c02...but then I realised I would be looking at another 1800w for an 18000btu window banger during lights on... plus the 720w dehuey would need to run a lot more often if the room were sealed...

I think it would be more efficient to just add two more 1k lights instead... :laughing:

I know for a fact that adding two more lights would increase my monthly yield by pounds... co2 may add some ounces but not pounds...

down2grow

Just bumping this to see what you did 250. I'm upgrading my Can "6 HO to a 10" Max and I'm dealing with cold night temps(60F), sometimes mid 50's at the moment. If you went with the grainger contoller that Grow Nerd recommended. Did you take pics of how you put it together? I'm a picture person! Lol

D2G

Latest posts

Latest posts