Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Seed Boutique > Seed Boutique Vendors > DJ Short and Legends Seeds > Disappointed in blueberry

Thread Title Search
Disappointed in blueberry Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2010, 06:25 PM #1
chappie
Subtleties of river power

chappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the rough
Disappointed in blueberry

Hello-

Scored a 10 pack of DJs BB a year or so ago. Very low germ rates (I have confidence in my technique - no probs with other breeders) and ended up with only 1 female. It was a beautiful plant, tall, heavy yielder, nice color. However, the aroma was very mild. It did have a hint of the "blueberry muffin" smell after a cure, but that faded quickly and then I just had a huge stash of very bland herb. It had a decent mental effect, though a bit "cloudy" for my taste.

I've had plenty of good runs with other strains, I use organic soil (FFOF or Roots) and water with organic nutes (FF or PBP), know how to check pH and all that. The plants looked healthy - no yellowing etc to speak of.

Are bunk phenos like this common? Or is there a technique I am missing to elicit the legendary aromas? Has this strain declined in recent years?

I am chasing the flavors I was finding in the Eugene area in the mid 90s. Everyone called it Blueberry and it sure smelled like it... light blue almost grey fuzzy buds, almost looked moldy but were just coated in frosty sweet berry goodness.

I am timid about popping another $100+ on this strain if I can even find the seeds again, seems every place is always sold out. However I really want to produce some of that sweet oregon goodness of yore!

Are other DJ strains worth seeking? Wish I could find a local grower running some of them to give me a known good cutting to play with, but people around here don't look kindly on DJs strains due to the costs and "overrated" spotty quality.

Would love any tips or experiences.
chappie is offline Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 PM #2
CANNATOPIA

wow I'm surprised. I have never grown his strain but I am running a cross of Nl5 & his Blue Berry & its great. I have also only heard good things about Dj. Sorry about your luck friend & hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 PM #3
chappie

chappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the roughchappie is a jewel in the rough
We do get Blue Dream around here which is nice and tasty and a joy to grow. I just dont like whats NOT blueberry in it, it has a thick, grainy "peanut butter" element to its aroma and flavor that I don't like. I want the pure berry... considering the other knockoffs (sagarmatha, DP, etc) since DJ seeds aren't even available anymore it seems. Also not sure if the "true blueberry" is any better, mine were the plain ol BB.
chappie is offline Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 PM #4
BigBudBill

BigBudBill has a spectacular aura aboutBigBudBill has a spectacular aura aboutBigBudBill has a spectacular aura aboutBigBudBill has a spectacular aura about
BB x nl5 is one of the best strains for making bomb high grade hash(at least the phenos I have grown out were). I find the buds themselves are mediocre potency, but the bag appeal is usually AA+.

Legalize

VIVA SATIVA!

My C4 Medigrow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=182561

BigBudBill is offline Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM #5
eugenegreen
herbalist

eugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really niceeugenegreen is just really nice
First off, pbp AND ff is NOT truly organic!
Second, Eugene you say...?
Third, I'm sorry about your luck...
I too have been unlucky with BB, but, your best bet would of been to make f2's and dig through the progeny..
Or buy a couple of packs, it seems the true bb smelling/tasting pheno is a bit elusive, so, strength in numbers I guess..
That Oregon BB is awesome! I've smoked her plenty, but never got lucky scoring a plant...
Good luck in your search brother. Kids in front of Lazar's Bazaar used to have that shit all the time. I never fucked with them though!

SAFETY
Peter Bourne, President Carter's Drug Czar
''We did not view marijuana as a significant health problem--as it was
not....Nobody dies from marijuana. Marijuana smoking, in fact, if one
wants to be honest, is a source of pleasure and amusement to countless millions of
people in America, and it continues to be that way.''
Source: PBS's Frontline: ''Drug Wars,'' October 2000

R.I.P. LMN
R.I.P. Medjool
eugenegreen is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM #6
Incognegro
Banned

Incognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura about
Hey Chappie..sorry to hear about this,..but this isn't the first time i've heard this either.

But first of all Fox Farm DOES carry organic nutrients, contrary to popular beliefs...
Second, I've grown DJ's Blueberry as well, lovely high, but not for me, (for my growing reasons) I grew Dutch Passions reworked version, IMHO the high was a little less intense, but MUCH easier to grow MUCH more resilient to torture and etc, and GREAT yielder. I got 4ounces off of 1 3foot tall plant.

Will need to find my pics on another site..
Incognegro is offline Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM #7
Incognegro
Banned

Incognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura aboutIncognegro has a spectacular aura about
Here's a couple shots of DP's Blueberry.. hope ya don't mind...

I am wanting to get some more of these if they're around..

Incognegro is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 PM #8
foomar
Luddite

foomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud offoomar has much to be proud of
Ran three packs consecutively looking for a real keeper , a dozen good girls with a few interesting freaks , still popping a few of the F2,s when space permits but yet to find a stunner in 25 girls.

Every original pack had a few really good plants that would satisfy most people and were worth the money , in many crosses the incidence of the very best expressions seems to be around 5% or one in twenty.

If this is the case then probability suggests that five packs would be required on average to produce a signature keeper , could of course be two in the first pack or you might not find one in a dozen packs , bit of a lottery with small numbers and samples involved.

F2 the best plants , run a good number in small pots crammed in tight , have had sixty plants under a single 600 and its good enougth for selection with a bit of effort , should find a real gem in a run or two , never seen a good clone offered locally which is odd given its popularity and level of demand.
foomar is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM #9
CARE giver
Sour Bubble Connoisseur

CARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud ofCARE giver has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
We do get Blue Dream around here which is nice and tasty and a joy to grow. I just dont like whats NOT blueberry in it, it has a thick, grainy "peanut butter" element to its aroma and flavor that I don't like. I want the pure berry... considering the other knockoffs (sagarmatha, DP, etc) since DJ seeds aren't even available anymore it seems. Also not sure if the "true blueberry" is any better, mine were the plain ol BB.
There are some on the Boo right now, and I think I see them there every time I check DJ's stock.

And I am also searching for a nice Blueberry smoke I had a couple years ago. But it seems finding an exceptional Blueberry plant isn't as easy as it used to be.
Hitting up Dans #6 and my keeper(s) with my stud male.

Elroys OG
A futuristic OG.
1.Searching thru Karmas OG seeds for a stud male.
2.Searching thru GHS SLH for a lemon candy mom.
3.Bring the 2 together and create something I've been envisioning for a long time.

*Elroys OG will be available to the community. Will need testers. Then they will be available at either Great Lake Genetics or Seedbay*
CARE giver is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 PM #10
chappie

I have to say that is not encouraging. Not to bash DJ, but his status is that of an expert breeder. Wouldn't one hallmark of that be to breed a relatively stable strain? Otherwise, he's not selling strains, he's selling "interesting genetics which maybe, especially if you spend $500 on seeds, might contain a keeper".

Is the DP version more stable?

Sure wish DJ would do some of his grow clinics in Oregon, why save the love for California? I assume a Eugene clinic would be immediately sold out.
chappie is offline Quote