What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smaller than spider mites, looks like immature phylloxera on leaves?

Hi all... seeing some very tiny bugs, difficult to see with the naked eye on my plants. On top of the leaf, they look like a tiny white speck,,, would think it was dust or something if it didn't move.

They are on top and bottom of leaves. They seem to be causing damage on the new growth, curling and yellowing of leaves.

Here are some pictures at 400x.

These bugs seem to be much smaller than any aphid I could find info about, but when I watched them crawl around, they look to have six legs with two appendages similar to an aphid off of the back.

Anyway, all help is appreciated.

So far, I used forbid on the plants (I mis-id'd them as spider mites initially) which definitely seems to have slowed them down, but definitely did not kill all of them.

I also tried a test of botanigard ES because it is labeled for aphids at the lower end of usage range (2 tsp per gallon) on two plants. Unfortunately, it seems to have burned those plants, with some brown spots and curling showing on the leaves 18 hours later. Any advice on this?\

thanks for the help! :tiphat:

Attachments

• PIC024.jpg
    PIC024.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 26
  • PIC025.jpg
    PIC025.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PIC028.jpg
    PIC028.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 30
  • PIC029.jpg
    PIC029.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PIC030.jpg
    PIC030.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 22

suko

This are Mites ( Acari oz. Acarina) same family as spidermites,also also u use same insecticid to kill em as spidermites.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
That could very well be a Tarsonomid mite ( or sometimes called Strawberry mite) & it's rare that many will know about them , for most experience problems with their bigger brothers. They are very tiny only 1/3-1/4 the size of regular mites at full maturity...they are very damaging potentially going after the top growing tender shoots first rather than the bottom fans & working up ....and VERY hard to kill!

One of the most effective miticides = floramite , does not target this mite' s metabolism & is not listed in the kill specs. These newest generation miticides are that specifically engineered the flora mite will not kill beneficial mites while at the same time specifically will disrupt & kill both eggs larvae & adult damaging mites. My experience with Forbid by Bayer AG was a short lived one, since I found the " translaminar" ability of this product , to kill mites on the underside of the leaves by passing thru the walls of the tops of the leaves very harsh & damaging to the plants leaving them very stressed out . Such a claim for it was too good to be true IMO , and discontinued it's use. Was a very expensive experiment @ $300+ per ltre!

When even flora mite doesn't list this mite on it's kill specs ,knew then it was time to. Break out the heavy guns with Avid being a neurotoxin & generally will kill most anything up to & including humans given exposure, lol. Was amazing just how damaging these tiny mites could be effectively destroying completely some large sturdy PK moms I had going while being soooo tiny it took me a few weeks to finally really see they were even there. Starting at the top tender shoots first they pretty much can stop a plant dead in it's tracks.

Avid is the one for these, if it is the one u have...and they are no fun to have . Funny thing about Avid is plants always seem happier after using it on them...though it only kills mostly mites but not the all eggs so a repeated usage is necessary or just removal of infected plants an alternative.

Tarsonomid mite google safari:
http://www.google.com/search?q=tarsonomid+mite&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Apologize, typing on this insufferable iPad & being a pc user normally am at the whim & mercy of this geeky tweaky device on 3G , lol

That could very well be a Tarsonomid mite ( or sometimes called Strawberry mite) & it's rare that many will know about them , for most experience problems with their bigger brothers. They are very tiny only 1/3-1/4 the size of regular mites at full maturity...they are very damaging potentially going after the top growing tender shoots first rather than the bottom fans & working up ....and VERY hard to kill!

One of the most effective miticides = floramite , does not target this mite' s metabolism & is not listed in the kill specs. These newest generation miticides are that specifically engineered the flora mite will not kill beneficial mites while at the same time specifically will disrupt & kill both eggs larvae & adult damaging mites. My experience with Forbid by Bayer AG was a short lived one, since I found the " translaminar" ability of this product , to kill mites on the underside of the leaves by passing thru the walls of the tops of the leaves very harsh & damaging to the plants leaving them very stressed out . Such a claim for it was too good to be true IMO , and discontinued it's use. Was a very expensive experiment @ $300+ per ltre!

When even flora mite doesn't list this mite on it's kill specs ,knew then it was time to. Break out the heavy guns with Avid being a neurotoxin & generally will kill most anything up to & including humans given exposure, lol. Was amazing just how damaging these tiny mites could be effectively destroying completely some large sturdy PK moms I had going while being soooo tiny it took me a few weeks to finally really see they were even there. Starting at the top tender shoots first they pretty much can stop a plant dead in it's tracks.

Avid is the one for these, if it is the one u have...and they are no fun to have . Funny thing about Avid is plants always seem happier after using it on them...though it only kills mostly mites but not the all eggs so a repeated usage is necessary or just removal of infected plants an alternative.

Tarsonomid mite google safari:
http://www.google.com/search?q=tarsonomid+mite&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Very helpful post!!! Thank you!

Haven't used avid. However, I checked the forbid label and it does include two types of tarsenomid mites, both the broad and cyclamen as controlled populations. I've never had any phytoxicity or any problems at all from using forbid at 1mL/gallon mixed with dutch master penetrator at 200mL/gallon.

However, 24 hours after my first forbid use, I still saw live bugs, though much slower moving, and less of them. I'm going to keep checking now that it has been 2 days and I'll let you all know, and will consider avid then.

Thanks again!

:dance013:

Update:

I cannot find any moving/living adult mites approximately 48 hours after treatment with Forbid. Plants are showing no signs of phytotoxicity.

Hallelujah!

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Excellent, still afraid to use forbid myself though it was very enticing to read their claim of killing mites on the undersides of leaves by spraying the topsides....Seemed to me this might work fine on some sturdy leafed shrub or bush but when I used on mj seemed to stress them out . Post an update in a few days if u can , hope u licked it .

RetroGrow

Veteran
Very helpful post!!! Thank you!

Haven't used avid. However, I checked the forbid label and it does include two types of tarsenomid mites, both the broad and cyclamen as controlled populations. I've never had any phytoxicity or any problems at all from using forbid at 1mL/gallon mixed with dutch master penetrator at 200mL/gallon.

However, 24 hours after my first forbid use, I still saw live bugs, though much slower moving, and less of them. I'm going to keep checking now that it has been 2 days and I'll let you all know, and will consider avid then.

Thanks again!

:dance013:

They do look like Tarsinomid mites, although you cannot see broad or cyclamen mites with the naked eye. Need a 100 X scope. Eggs are easier to see than mites. They can be found on underside of leaves. These, and other mites can be killed with heat. No chemicals necessary. Come to the Broad mite thread to learn how to do it. Last 10 pages or so of the thread will explain all. Another thing to note with these mites: even if you kill every mite & egg on your plants (Avid does not kill eggs), they will still be in your room/house/property, and they will come back. You have to fight them continuously.