What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Coir, what's better to mix with it, Perlite or Hydroton?

Nonphixion

Thinking about doing a 270w Coco grow with GH flushed Coir, and Canna Coco nutes. What woud be best to cut the coir with, 50/50, hydroton or perlite?

Coco Nuts

Depends on preference as well as how you plan to water them. A passive or drip you could do a 50/50 coco/perlite. Hand watering it would be up to you but I use about 15%.

Last edited:

Nonphixion

Yes I was planning to hand water, it's going to be a small grow, nothing spectacular.

What's your reasoning behind using only 15% (of perlite?), and do you have an thoughts on Canna's Rhizotonic? Anything else I should buy for this grow besides Canna Coco A+B and maybe the Rhizo?

Thanks for the reply btw :joint:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hi nonphixon id go with the Canna Coco if you are gonna use their nutes i add a small amount of perlite to my coco and a layer of hydroton at the bottom of the pot...Rhizotonic is good stuff i use it as too is the Canna-zym..i also use Bio-Bizz Top Max bloom stim...go to www.Canna-UK.com they have a grow schedule for their nutes there...peace

Last edited:

Nonphixion

Thanks for the link, Dr D. ;)

How big of a bottle of the Rhizo/Zym should I get? And do you think Bio-Bizz is worth it along with both of those others?

Also.. how well does Liquid Karma do in Coco, I still have a half a bottle left over from my last few grows.

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey nonphixion,i just have a small bottle 250ml of the Rhizotonic and 500ml bottle of the Canna-zym..they are not expensive...i cant say about the Liquid Karma i never used it..i cant say iv used any other bloom stims with the coco only the Top-Max which i used due to good results on other medias like soil and hydro and the fact that it can be used on all three..peace

Coco Nuts

Nonphixion said:
Yes I was planning to hand water, it's going to be a small grow, nothing spectacular.

What's your reasoning behind using only 15% (of perlite?), and do you have an thoughts on Canna's Rhizotonic? Anything else I should buy for this grow besides Canna Coco A+B and maybe the Rhizo?

Thanks for the reply btw :joint:

If you use 50/50 and have your plant dialed in, you'd be watering a minimum of once per day. Layering the bottom with grow rocks is most often done in a drip system or passive (autopots) but it's just a matter of preference. For what it's worth, I do not add anything to the bottom. It's hard to overwater coco, and very easy to tell when it's time. Also, make sure you don't get rootbound in flower. It's easy to underestimate the root growth using coco.

I've not used any of Canna's products yet. I was interested in the coco a+b but decided that I do not like their ratio one bit. However, I've heard good things about the Rhizotonic and the PK 13/14 they offer.

My methods are always evolving and currently I'm running some side-by-side comparisions between Lucas GH Formula and Pure Blend Pro.

-CN

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I feed with canna A+B nutes and rizotonic when planting out new seedlings or cuts then once established (around 2 weeks) i stop adding the rizotonic and begin to add B.cuzz coco booster........once into deep flower i also begin to use B.Cuzz coco bloom stimulator and pk13-14.......if you have any more questions pass by my thread 'True's trophic kingdom' and we can go into some more detail......
Peace

Nonphixion

Coco Nuts said:
If you use 50/50 and have your plant dialed in, you'd be watering a minimum of once per day. Layering the bottom with grow rocks is most often done in a drip system or passive (autopots) but it's just a matter of preference. For what it's worth, I do not add anything to the bottom. It's hard to overwater coco, and very easy to tell when it's time. Also, make sure you don't get rootbound in flower. It's easy to underestimate the root growth using coco.

I've not used any of Canna's products yet. I was interested in the coco a+b but decided that I do not like their ratio one bit. However, I've heard good things about the Rhizotonic and the PK 13/14 they offer.

My methods are always evolving and currently I'm running some side-by-side comparisions between Lucas GH Formula and Pure Blend Pro.

-CN

Hmm.. so with hand watering I guess I won't need the layer of hydroton. I might also use 5 gallon buckets, instead of the 2 gallon pots I had planned to harvest in. Do you think it would be worth it to fill the 5 gal buckets with Coco, would the plants fill up the rootspace under a 270w HPS?

I was planning this;

-Veg
1qt pots (seedling stage ~2 weeks)
1gal pots (second stage ~2 weeks)
2gal pots (third stage ~2 weeks)
-Flowering
5 gal buckets (fourth and final stage 6-7 weeks)

So everyone agrees that I should use only about 15% perlite, instead of the 40-50% that I had planned? And does that sound like too much transplanting, would it be too much work for not that much benefit? And since I'm switching to Coco, would 6 weeks of veg be too much, would the plants get out of hand? I want to flower at ~18"

Last edited:

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
The thing with coir is it gets wet it stays wet unless a lot of air passes through it. 50/50 is probably the best mix even for handwatering because even though at the surface its dry, underneath its still wet. The reason people use grow rocks or the balls at the bottom is so its doesnt get all muddy at the bottom and so air can pass through. I usually layer the bottom of the pot with perlite maybe an inch and them put my 50/50 coir/perlite mix in. You will be watering every 2 days with this. Until I get my Flowering room straight I am handwatering as well and I have noticed that the Coir takes about 2 days to dry out. I have the pot in a tray and I water her with 64 oz of water/nutes. When the tray is dry(usually 2 days sometimes 3) i water again. Coir is awesome stuff, I love it. :smile:

G

I use 50/50 perlite/coco. I use Liquid Karma and PBP. They all work just fine. Yes the roots will grow very fast if kept watered. I water to runoff everytime and rarely ever have any build up. I'm definately hooked on this stuff. Supposedly you can reuse it to, if you decide to reuse it tho be sure and clean the roots out before they dry up because they are a bitch to get out if dry. You are gonna hear alot of people say that you should leach it good before using to remove salts. Most of the Coco being sold now has already been steamed and is salt free. That was true early on but not so much now.

Good Luck to ya. :yes:

Mo,

Nonphixion

CalcioErba2004 said:
The thing with coir is it gets wet it stays wet unless a lot of air passes through it. 50/50 is probably the best mix even for handwatering because even though at the surface its dry, underneath its still wet. The reason people use grow rocks or the balls at the bottom is so its doesnt get all muddy at the bottom and so air can pass through. I usually layer the bottom of the pot with perlite maybe an inch and them put my 50/50 coir/perlite mix in. You will be watering every 2 days with this. Until I get my Flowering room straight I am handwatering as well and I have noticed that the Coir takes about 2 days to dry out. I have the pot in a tray and I water her with 64 oz of water/nutes. When the tray is dry(usually 2 days sometimes 3) i water again. Coir is awesome stuff, I love it. :smile:
Half gallon every 2 days? Sounds about right, what size pots are you referring to?

I might actually layer with hydroton then, if it helps get air to my roots, I think maybe just one or two layers of pebble... enough to get the coir off of the bottom of the pot.

BigMo, I have GeneralHydroponics coir, and it says it has been flushed of excess salts on the package. Based on my other experiences with GH I doubt that they skimp on anything :wink:

What do you guys think of the 6 week veg period though, wouldn't the plants get out of control when grown in coir?

Last edited:

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Nonphixion said:
Half gallon every 2 days? Sounds about right, what size pots are you referring to?

its a 5.5" dia. square pot right now. Today its going into a 3 gallon pot today but the half gallon every 2 days should still be ok. If not ill up it by 16oz until i have the right amount of water every 2 days. :smile:

aeric

Veteran
i would like to know what formula folks are using with the Pure blend, cuz my attempt at PB with coir was spindly and pale. I read somewhere recently 15 PB 10 Calmag....does that sound right? Regular PB or PB for soil? (higher P)

Papa_Gooch

Great Stuff

Great Stuff

I've done a few grows in soil and decided to try coco this time.
I've been using full spectrum of canna products. I've started four seeds off
as mothers but I've got a small problem - these buggers won't stretch. The node spacing is so small that cuttings might be a problem. Never had too little stretch as a problem. Still haven't taking cuttings but my experience says coco is GOOD STUFF!
I went with no perl except a layer on bottom. Going to do main crop with 1/3rd perl mix.
Here's a couple of pics so you can see prob :D
http://db.tt/nCOUfTwS
http://db.tt/3HIJ1ZCc
http://db.tt/3Q4VCXZ7

Last edited: