What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange Malawi

scrubdog

Hi all,

I purchased 6 seeds of Ace special edition pure Malawi. Most money I've ever paid for seeds but I really wanted to compare this Malawi to all my Thai sativas.

My understanding was that they were 6 feminised seeds created by selfing the killer Malawi mother of Ace.

Anyway 5 out of 6 seeds came up and very healthy and vigorous plants.... but....

They all have fat leaves like an Afghani or Skunk and the two that have started flowering are males! Not Hermi but pure males. They look nothing like any African sativa I've ever seen or grown and nothing like the thin leaf stretchy Malawi I expected. They don't even stretch much like a sativa does.

Is this what Ace Malawi is meant to look like? They came in a proper Ace seed pack direct from Dubi and marked as Malawi.

I'm not complaining, much respect for Dubi, just badly need to know what I have because I searched the net for two years trying to find the right pure sativa for creating an F1 hybrid with my Green Hornet Thai. After much research I chose Ace pure Malawi and expected six stretchy thin leaf female African Sativas.

If they're not Malawi then they're no use to me at all. I have thousands of seeds and bought these Malawi specifically for a breeding project. I don't sell seed or weed, just enjoy breeding killer sativas and I wanted to inject some new blood into my lines.

Has anybody else here grown Ace pure Malawi? My plants look nothing like any other Malawi pictures I've seen on this forum or elsewhere on the web.

I will post pix in the next few days if requested. Plants are grown outdoors in pots and put into a dark room each night to force flowering after six weeks vegetative growth.

scrubdog

Last edited:

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello, scrubdog. I can't help you with your problem but, I would like to see your plants. Also, when did you buy those from ACE?

RahXephon

Malawi

Malawi

Has anybody else here grown Ace pure Malawi? My plants look nothing like any other Malawi pictures I've seen on this forum or elsewhere on the web.

scrubdog

Hi, see my pics below. I grew Ace pure Malawi too. Great sativa. Dark leaves, not so thin but absolutely not like indicas. The flowering period is medium..I really liked this strain.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=189609&page=5

Show us your photos.

scrubdog

Here are some pix.... please note I'm NOT complaining about Ace Seeds. These are very vigorous healthy plants that germinated easily. I'm just a bit suprised because I expected a lanky thin leaf sativa like other African strains I've grown. I'm just wondering what this is exactly?

Pix are:

Group shot of SSH and Ace Malawi. Small plant lower left is female Lebanese. Tall plant at back is Lao Thai.
Unsexed Malawi
Male Malawi
Malawi male flowers
Last pix is a Thai plant for comparison

Attachments

• plants1.jpg
    plants1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • malawi2.jpg
    malawi2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 26
  • malawi-male1.jpg
    malawi-male1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 23
  • malawi-male2.jpg
    malawi-male2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 23
  • malawi-male3.jpg
    malawi-male3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 22
  • malawi-male4.jpg
    malawi-male4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 25
  • thai1.jpg
    thai1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

scrubdog

Okay, three male plants... left to right is Ace Malawi, glossy leaved Lebanese landrace and another Lebanese landrace. Lebanese are short, fast flowering pure indica.

Notice how similar the leaves are between the male Ace Malawi and the glossy landrace Lebanese. This is why I'm a bit confused.

I'm not saying this Malawi isn't a pure landrace but I do want to check that this is what Ace Malawi is meant to look like? Checking that I haven't been given the wrong seeds by accident or accidental cross pollination or something?

All my other pure sativas are very lanky and stretchy with long internodes, usually pale yellow leaves (not always) and usually thin leaflets.

scrubdog

Attachments

• three-males.jpg
    three-males.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 23
  • two-males.jpg
    two-males.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 16

GreenMind

Looks Ok to me!

Between the Meao Thai and the Malawi, I believe it is the Meao Thai that has thinner leaves. So, in theory, Malawi leaves should be wider leaf than Golden Tigers. And Golden Tigers never really struck me as a super thin leaf plant.

GM:wave:

Dr Leary

scrubdog my Malawi looks more like your Thai photo. Initial fan leaves can be broader than second growth later in the cycle. I would not have guessed that was a Malawi from just looking at your photo.

Where did you acquire your seeds? I've been looking to try their Malawi but I can't find it offered anywhere.

scrubdog

Looks Ok to me!

Between the Meao Thai and the Malawi, I believe it is the Meao Thai that has thinner leaves. So, in theory, Malawi leaves should be wider leaf than Golden Tigers. And Golden Tigers never really struck me as a super thin leaf plant.

GM:wave:

Yes but most Malawi plants actually have thinner leaves than Thai. I've been growing cannabis over thirty years including some big breeding crops outdoors and I've never seen a pure landrace sativa that looked like that Malawi, let alone one from equatorial Africa. All the African plants I've ever grown have been heat sensitive (only grow ABOVE a certain temp, usually about 18 degrees celcius), very lanky, long internodes and large thin leaves. African plants are usually the tallest plants in a crop, often outgrowing even Thai. Most Malawi plants I've seen could be mistaken for Thai or Colombian.

That's been my experience anyway.

scrubdog

scrubdog

scrubdog my Malawi looks more like your Thai photo. Initial fan leaves can be broader than second growth later in the cycle. I would not have guessed that was a Malawi from just looking at your photo.

Exactly... and every photo of Malawi on the net, including actual pix taken in Africa, the plants have thin leaves.... hence my confusion.

Where did you acquire your seeds? I've been looking to try their Malawi but I can't find it offered anywhere.

I contacted Dubi direct and my understanding was that he had a small special edition of feminised pure Malawi created by selfing the killer mother. So I bought 6 seeds. So now I'm wondering where these males came from?

I already have some very potent Thai sativas and I wanted something at least as strong to introduce some new genetics into my lines.

My second choice would have been Neville Haze but I wanted a pure line with no indica at all in it. Anything with even a touch of indica causes me nothing but trouble with bud rot late in the season. Plus I like really speedy sativas not sleepy zombie indicas.

In retrospect I wish I'd bought Zamal but I couldn't find a source I trusted to have the real thing.

scrubdog

Ras Pablo

Veteran
scrubdog, I will try to speak with dubi and answer you as soon as I can, but I think that must be a kind of confussion, because you're not the only one that has grown Malawi's fem. and the one's If seen were totally Sativa as the Killer Malawi mom.

salud!!:tiphat:

scrubdog

scrubdog, I will try to speak with dubi and answer you as soon as I can, but I think that must be a kind of confussion, because you're not the only one that has grown Malawi's fem. and the one's If seen were totally Sativa as the Killer Malawi mom.

salud!!:tiphat:

:thank you: Thank you Ras Pablo. All respect to Dubi but he must have got the seeds mixed up. That does not look like sativa to me. Looks like hybrid sativa X indica type plant. Very healthy but no use to me at all. I have hundreds of seeds for plants like that. Am wanting pure sativa only.

scrubdog

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello scrubdog,

Sorry for the delay, i have been outside far from cannabis scene and i havent been replying emails or threads here in the forums the past months. I think it was a mistake packing your seeds. Please, let me know how the replacement works for you, we already tested malawi fem this season and they are pure sativas for sure, excellent expressions, very vigorous, high yielding and extremely resinous and powerful pure sativas.