What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MICRO HAZE / SATIVA THREAD

I think the micro forum deserves a thread on how to tame these tricky beasts within the confines of our miniature grow boxes. The fact that we grow mini shouldn't rule out the ability to grow the heady, long-flowering sativa-dom strains we all know and love, so how about we use this thread as a place to share all the successful (and unsuccessful) method's we've used to try to grow these bad girls. I will be starting my first grow under my 150 watt in a mini fridge very soon and will be starting off easy with a strawberry cough clone from a friend. After that, I plan to try a haze and then onto a pure landrace sativa.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
I grow mine is 16oz cups, under cfl's in two PC's. I start off by lst'ing first, to get some type of non-vertical growth. Once thats established and the new growth is vertical again, i top it and tie it back down. From here on out i wont tie down any more, but ill top again, and any new growth after that point that continues to stretch, ill proceed with supercropping. This is a slow long process, over about a 6-8 week period in flower. Strains were Kali Most and MOD bx(destroyer x kali mist). Ill be updrading to a rubbermaid setup with 250w hps soon, so im anxious to run those again, and then ill add something like "jack"herer f6 and SSSDH. Growing haze is fun :)

bonsai

To grow small plants in general, both from my own experience with bonsai[*] and from what I've read here[^] from multiple people's experiences

* Pinch back heavily during veg (tighter internodes)
* defoliate large leaves during veg -- cut where leaf joins stem, not where stem joins trunk; very important not to damage new growth at base of leaf stem (tighter internodes)
^ Keep as close to lights as possible
^ Move to flower slowly (20/4, 18/6, 14/10, 12/12)
^ Change lights slowly if possible (one CFL at a time)

I'll get a new pic tonight of an Arjan's Haze #3 I'm growing as small as I can manage using the above techniques. It's tiny and 3 weeks into flower

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Merlin's Magic (Acapulco Gold x C99)

Cab 16x18x28.5''. 150w HPS.

Flower as soon as the clones have a stable root mass.
picture.php

Top Plants
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Sativa goodness.

picture.php

picture.php

I did 16oz party cups one time as well.
picture.php

picture.php

Bubble Gum - Sativa Pheno

picture.php

Veg: 24/0. Straight to 12/12 flower. Keep Nitrogen as low as possible during the first 2 weeks. You will need to add some where around week 6 depending on the strain, but be careful to only as little as needed. Control the stretch by the height of the container, topping, and LST.

bonsai

Arjan's Haze #3, 9.5cm tall, day 18 of flower, 54 days from seed. No topping, LST from single point half way up the trunk.
It looks thirsty because it's about to receive a big drink of 1-9-1 guano + fermented flower extract + worm bin juice.
picture.php

picture.php

Northern Lights x Haze, 9cm tall, day 18 of flower, 54 days from seed. Topped once, no LST.
picture.php

These are an experiment, not a crop ;)
It's a test grow using an automated environment monitoring/scheduling/compensation system I designed and built. It's also the first time I've grown anything under lights. Both plants are in orchid pots (excellent drainage, highly recommended) approx 20cm in diameter by 10cm tall. The plants have been transplanted 4 times, starting their lives in seedling tubes and working up. I'm going to let them grow as much as they want from now on, only removing sun leaves that are totally blocking bud sites.

bonsai

I just finished a 90 day flower of Arjan's haze #3 here...it was a battle to say the least!

Very much enjoyed following your thread :thank you: Watching yours grow is what made me go overboard with keeping mine tiny as I only have 54cm of total hight in the cab.

I have roughly 21 inches, and that's not including pot size. :p

I am also building another cab for my tall lengthy girls that will be more like 3 feet of grow space, still.... not a lot. Definitely more manageable. But I am definitely growing some long ones right now that are going to need some tending.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive done a few sativas and sativa doms in my grow diaries. im just starting to flower original haze in my micro cab atm - using scrog as the main height control - i dont really like constrictng roots to control size as it costs a lot of yield - but i am doing that somewhat with the original haze.

nice arjans haze 3 pics - this is a good one to grow in limited space because it is very short and squat for a haze. nice high too if a little mellow to be a 'real' haze.

VG

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
since i only grow bagseed and mostly only smoke sativa and crosses from south of the border most of my plant growing experience is sativa's.
to keep them short i train them and top them and supercrop them whatever i can. it doesnt always help, but ill reiterate some things said already as they have worked for me.

flowering clones right away helps keep them short.
topping and training helps, mostly to branch than to keep them short, unless you veg out and then start flowering and once you see sex top it down to like 2-3 nodes.
small pots doesnt really mean jack shit in my experience. ill show you a pic of 3 sativa's i have growing now. theyre' in 3 different containers, 2 are from the same lineage and 1 is unknown each one is growing different. and the one in the smallest container is the tallest, the one in the biggest container is the shortest, and the one in the middle size pot is the biggest.
i have not tried trimming roots, i typically try and get the most roots i can so that they can feed more and faster.
close to lights, far away. theres a sweet spot where the plants are happiest anything closer or father away seems to make a lot of stretch.
heat, too hot = stretch too cold = stunted growth. i need to get my heatmat, its 70-90 degrees in the cab but the soil is cold since winter is coming on and the air coming into the box is cooler.
what else... thats about it i guess. keep training, and supercropping and topping as needed. try not to supercrop and top too much after they show sex, the stress usually makes them hermie. i dont mean a little stress like bending a top down, i mean like breaking a stem thats started to wood up, or topping a main cola. they have to redirect energy to fix the damage and it usually causes them to herm out. keep your pots from drying out too much, the more often the pots dry all the way out the more they seem to stretch. dont keep the soil wet either, the roots suffocate and your plant suffers a lot of deficiencies.

bonsai

Bonsai'd Arjan's Haze #3, just harvested @ 11 weeks.

Only tiny, but that was the intention all along. So in that regard I consider this a success. The plant will now be revegged to use as a mum.

Garuda

Veteran
Nice thread :)

I grew two Original Hazes in a SCROG. Since didn't have much experience with pure sativas they never stopped growing because Canna Terra Flores has too much N for them.

I chopped them at day 150 although they weren't finished but nevertheless resulted in a very special smoke :). This persuaded me to have always some of them in my cab (which is now perpetual), but with restricted soil and N.

Panoramical

This couldn't have come at a better time! I've got my first indoor cab up and running now. Two strains given to me by a friend, both 10 weekers. One being a jack the ripper that stretched like crazy.

3 weeks into flower; i've got no more head room for the jack and have already bent over the top 10cm.

I'll be checking back here for some more ideas when they reach the glass again!

lob19

Veteran
Hi all micro growers!

I used to have a haze dominant strain going in my little PC, it was a painstaking grow as you can imagine. also cut her down a bit too soon due to my lack of patience.:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

45th day of flowering:
picture.php

picture.php

it finished with about 8g of dry, cured stuff, but it was probably ~10g in total

peace

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Zero issues, but we shove them into a taller cabinet (not bigger, just skinny & tall). The real issue is the really long bloomers will continue to extend buds by several handspans in some cases. So you'll think you're fine and come back to an additional "crap I hit the lights" growth spurt over the weekend. With plants we're familiar with we try to time bloom to completely fill a cabinet by harvest, with ones we are not we start them in bloom the first time SMALL.

This one has been blooming since mid october:

picture.php

This is one that bloomed last year:

picture.php

waiting on some original haze freebies hopefully from gypsy. I'll be running them 12/12 from seed in my mini fridge if all goes to plan :) I don't think I have the necessary headroom to allow any sort of veg period what-so-ever.

Latest posts

Latest posts