Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Quit Alcohol - Support Thread

Thread Title Search
Quit Alcohol - Support Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM #1
Young Trees

Young Trees will become famous soon enoughYoung Trees will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Quit Alcohol - Support Thread

I wanted to start a thread or find one where people like me who want to stop drinking alcohol. A thread where like minded Cannabis users can share stories of success or failure and ways to help people give up this dangerous drug. This thread is not for people to make fun, argue or discuss the choice to live without alcohol, but a place to offer support and check in to let others know they are not alone in this quest.

I've been thinking about starting a thread like this. Quitting cigarretes was one of the hardest thing I did, I was only able to because I got really sick back in the day and used that to quit since I couldn't smoke for a couple months anyway. Cannabis was my ally and with Cannabis, I was able to quit smoking that useless vice.

Alcohol seems even harder to drop however, because I love the flavor of beer and wine, when I drink, I get a false sense of euforia, and it's so readily available. It also is proving to be more and more confusing as the years go by, the side effects are devastating for me. My digestive system goes to crap, but worse is the confusion and mental depression it causes. It has clouded my mind for years and nearly ruined my marriage, which I am trying to patch together at the moment as well..

Over the years I can feel alcohol taking a toll on my emotions and irritability when I'm not drinking. It is a terrible man-made drug that is the biggest cause of ruined families, and personal confusion and conflict.

Anyone else feel the same? Anyone want to take the challenge? Check in here and give some people support. Imagine the amount of peole that will read this thread and hopefully be moved to at least try to substitute the poisonous alcohol for Cannabis only. Like Cigarretes, I know it's going to take a change in lifestyle even.

At first I decided to stay a period without drinking, a month, whatever, but I've tried that many times only to come back drinking again routinely. I came to the conclusion that I love Ale and wine like a chocoholic loves chocolate, I can drink it daily and in large amounts..I can't only drink one or two beers or a cup of wine..

I'll check in and give my progress daily if possible, and if i slip, I'll post it in hope of getting some support or some insight on my weaknesses. This is hard and embarrassing, but I know I'm not the only one who relies too much on alcohol when I have such a wonderful and inspiring herb that doesn't cause the side effects and destroying effects of alcohol.

Anyone have any stories or want to take on this daily mission, this battle? I'd love any input, techniques, success stories, failures, anything, anyone down for the challenge?

Substitute alcohol with life, and how Cannabis helps, or not.?

I am over poisoning my body and mind.. you?

Last edited by Young Trees; 10-23-2010 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: no more alcool foe..period.
Young Trees is offline Quote

19 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM #2
DiscoBiscuit
weed fiend

DiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant future
I'll check in and give my progress daily if possible, and if i slip, I'll post it in hope of getting some support or some insight on my weaknesses.

AA says not to wane, cold turkey is the only avenue. I'm not suggesting you're an alcoholic and I wish you well with your journey. One of the first signs of alcoholism is that we can't control intake after the first drink, no matter how long we stay on the wagon. One doesn't have to knee-walk or black out to be an alcoholic. It just means a single drink leads to more. Degrees of alcoholism mean that many of us fail to realize the reality.

My sister is in AA. She was never diagnosed, it's a personal acceptance of her reality.

DiscoBiscuit is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM #3
shawkmon
Pleasantly dissociated

shawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud of
chronic relapser checkin in, ill just listen, thanks for letting me share .

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.
Henry David Thoreau
shawkmon is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM #4
KharmaGirl
~Resident Puck Bunny~

KharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud ofKharmaGirl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Trees View Post

Substitute alcohol with Cannabis?

I am..
If you feel alcohol is problem for you and you are merely substituting one thing for another, there will still be an underlying problem.
KharmaGirl is offline Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM #5
kmk420kali
Freedom Fighter

kmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant future
I agree with you KG...however, I did the same thing, after 18 years as a Junkie, I substituted Cannabis & Alcohol for Heroin...it has been 15 years now, and tho I do have some issues with alcohol, I still consider it a success!!
Taking the lesser of the Evils my not be optimum...but it can work--

My GH at the pad-- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....=1#post4996785
kmk420kali is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM #6
Tr33

good luck, took me 2yrs to drop the drinking BS.
that's what it is BS pure BS
that false sense of euphoria is from your brains t cells having been destroyed by the alcohol
heroin does the exact same thing.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM #7
MrBluntfaced

MrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura aboutMrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura aboutMrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura aboutMrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura about
I think this is a great idea! I also wish you all the best on beating this thing.

Alcohol has fucked up many lives. I personally don't drink all that often - and usually have no more than a couple... but my friends on the other hand are made up of at LEAST 90% alcohol abusers. They scare me sometimes, but they are living their life and they are fully aware of the consequences. I do Love to give support to those of them whom need it though - so you can check me off as a supporter for this thread

I'll stop by and chat as often as I can! For this subject is both close to home, and extremely interesting to me.

PS - To go onto what Kharmagirl posted right above me...I personally got the vibes that this could be what the OP meant by substituting, but if not I think he's mature enough to -

When I personally tell my friends "Oh I'm gonna substitute weed for ______" I usually mean "Oh I'm gonna quit _____ but if there is ever a time where I feel too weak to hold my ground, or feel a craving too big to deal with, I'll take a few puffs."

More like a crutch to quitting...Insurance, if you will, than a substitute.
MrBluntfaced is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM #8
MrBluntfaced

MrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura aboutMrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura aboutMrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura aboutMrBluntfaced has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk420kali View Post
I agree with you KG...however, I did the same thing, after 18 years as a Junkie, I substituted Cannabis & Alcohol for Heroin...it has been 15 years now, and tho I do have some issues with alcohol, I still consider it a success!!
Taking the lesser of the Evils my not be optimum...but it can work--
I commend you on beating heroin, and being strong enough to admit you may have developed some alcohol problems out of it
MrBluntfaced is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM #9
Young Trees

Young Trees will become famous soon enoughYoung Trees will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the great input, any input shows you care. KG - Great point, not substituting anything is the best, maybe poor use of words, maybe I meant, only using Cannabis should be th key word. What you mention is crucial though, I think part of working on cutting down on alcohol, or any drug, is realizing our compulsiveness and how they are damaging us.
If Cannabis doesn't negatively affect me, then it's a great way to focus on the "lesser of two evils" and eventually not abuse Cannabis even, I mean I smoke too much, I admit it, my tolerance could be lower and I could be less compulsive with herbs too!
However you have to agree, that Alcohol cannot be compared to Cannabis as you have..they are worlds apart in terms of damage to your body and soul! You are correct though, abusing anything is not good..

Quote:
there will still be an underlying problem.
Life on this earth is the underlying problem, the solution is how we best deal with it...

Quote:
Awesome, that's the kind of POSITIVE reinforcement people need around here, not a constant reminder of their underlying problems, because those everyone has!

Quote:
chronic relapser checkin in, ill just listen, thanks for letting me share .
Hey Shawk, it was hard for me to start this thread, I know it's going to be hard, but these kinds of words and support mean the world. Again, no need to analyze what motivates people to drink, KG, just a support thread to help people like me who are trying to stop the status quo that society condones, the nastiest drug that this corrupt society pushes down our throats as they persecute Cannabis...thanks everyone! Keep em coming! Ignore the haters and doubters, will power and integrity goes a long way..

Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 PM #10
Young Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBluntfaced View Post
I think this is a great idea! I also wish you all the best on beating this thing.

Alcohol has fucked up many lives. I personally don't drink all that often - and usually have no more than a couple... but my friends on the other hand are made up of at LEAST 90% alcohol abusers. They scare me sometimes, but they are living their life and they are fully aware of the consequences. I do Love to give support to those of them whom need it though - so you can check me off as a supporter for this thread

I'll stop by and chat as often as I can! For this subject is both close to home, and extremely interesting to me.

PS - To go onto what Kharmagirl posted right above me...I personally got the vibes that this could be what the OP meant by substituting, but if not I think he's mature enough to -

When I personally tell my friends "Oh I'm gonna substitute weed for ______" I usually mean "Oh I'm gonna quit _____ but if there is ever a time where I feel too weak to hold my ground, or feel a craving too big to deal with, I'll take a few puffs."

More like a crutch to quitting...Insurance, if you will, than a substitute.
You guys mean the world to me, and it's not a substitute per se, that doesn't work, because they are not the same drug. I guess I mean that a reward for not drinking for me lately has been to spend the cash I usually would drinking on an eighth at the dispensary, more of a reward really. I believe that we have to make conscious decision to stop killing ourselves slowly and start living! Alcohol kills emotions, sensitivity, love, tenderness, alcohol kills those areas of our souls...thanks for all the cool posts!

2 members found this post helpful.