Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > Blynx's 1 sqft CFL cab & other CFL micro cabs

Thread Title Search
Blynx's 1 sqft CFL cab & other CFL micro cabs Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 PM #1
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud of
Blynx's 1 sqft CFL cab & other CFL micro cabs

Even tho I do run HIDs, I still love running my small CFL micro cabs. My main micro cab is my 1 sqft CFL micro cab, but I do have others that I use and will show off the results in this thread.

Here's what my 1 sqft CFL cab looks like. It has 5 x 23w CFL bulbs, a strong dayton blower and a homemade carbon scrubber.

Here's the results of all my runs to date (except the 5th run).

Run 1 (This run only used 70w cf; 5 x 14w)

Run 2 (This run and all runs since have used 115w cfl; 5 x 23w)

Run 3

Run 4

Run 5

Not documented

Run 6

Run 7

Current CFL cabs contain; 8th run in the 1 sqft CFL cab, single C99 in an 11"x11" CFL cab and two Sweet Widow Lavender's being scrog'ed in a 20"x11" CFL cab.
blynx is offline Quote

24 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 PM #2
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud ofblynx has much to be proud of
Here's my 11" x 11" CFL cab. It has 115w of CFLs (5 x 23w) with a carbon scrubber for odor. These pics only show 4 lights in the box. I added a fifth light hanging down in between the two Y adapters.

I started with a used cabinet I picked up for 5 bucks. I added a base made from 2x4s to raise it off the ground for ventilation. Cut some holes in the bottom for air intake, added some black painted pvc elbows to the vents, and wired the box up with lights.

I really liked the small profile of the box and wanted to try to add a scrubber without changing the footprint (other than height).

I also found an old super quiet bathroom fan that happened to be enclosed in a box the same size as this white cab and it would sit on top just right.

I cut the top off the box

I made a carbon scrubber 'sandwich' out of 2x4's, hardware cloth, furnace filter and activated carbon.

The scrubber sits on top of the cab and is held in place with foil tape on all four sides. This holds it tight, yet allows for pretty easy removal to change the carbon in the scrubber.

Here it is all put together

I ran one round earlier this year in it, I'll show some pics from that in another post.

Currently there is a C99 BX1 in this cab about 20 days into flower.
blynx is offline Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 PM #3
StealthDragon
Recovering UO addict.

StealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really nice
awesome stuff blynx. you have the best updates n stuff I've ever seen.

My autoflower stuffs <--old (vertical 2k room)

My micro perpetual grow (closed for now)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

The chains men bear they forged themselves. Strike off their chains and they will weep for their lost security
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StealthDragon is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 PM #4
Marijuanasaur

Marijuanasaur will become famous soon enough
Ooo la la, I can't wait to see the c99 bx1 pictures. I'm on board
Marijuanasaur is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 AM #5
b00m
~No Guts~ ~No Glory~

b00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivorb00m is a survivor
Awesome work blynx thanks for sharing with us all your cab designs
I like your fan and scrubber build, nice and simple and looks like it does the job just right
b00m is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 12:59 AM #6
Nicoli
Banned

Nicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet stuff as always man.
Nicoli is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 AM #7
diamondmine
Meet Me In The Bottom

diamondmine will become famous soon enough
Nicely done update! Thanks, a great reference.
diamondmine is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM #8
blynx
WALSTIB

Here's the CFL cab that currently has two Sweet Widow Lavenders scrog'ed and just starting to flower.

This cab was made from a recycled cabinet I picked up for $7. I raised it off the ground with some 2x4s, added vent holes with black painted elbows, wiring and a screen for the scrog. The screen is height adustable.

The exterior of the cab is 34" tall, 21" wide and 13" deep.

The interior growing area is 21" x 11" for a total of 1.6 sq ft.

I have 3 x 42w cfls and 2 x 23w cfls for a total of 172w.

This gives 107.5w per sq ft, which is slightly lower than what my other two cfl cabs put out.

There currently is not a scrubber on this cab, it's unfinished in the scrubbing/venting area. I currently am running a cheap inline fan to move the air through the cab. I plan on upgrading to a more powerful blower, adding a scrubber and enclosing that stuff in a box on top of the cab.
blynx is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM #9
Nicoli
Banned

Nicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of lightNicoli is a glorious beacon of light
Ohhh can't wait to see the scrog.. !
Nicoli is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM #10
Keif

Keif has a spectacular aura aboutKeif has a spectacular aura aboutKeif has a spectacular aura aboutKeif has a spectacular aura aboutKeif has a spectacular aura about
THANK YOU BLYNX!

Very happy that you decided to show off your micro grows.

Great job on the designs, they all look very clean!
Keif is offline Quote