What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about azomite...

Ninja420

I was just on there website and noticed they have micronized, slow-release, and granular. What kind is everybody using? Thanks.

Ninja420

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I was just on there website and noticed they have micronized, slow-release, and granular. What kind is everybody using? Thanks.

Ninja420
Ninja420

1. Azomite is a very fine product. Like most of the other alumina-sillicate rock dusts it contains a wide range of minerals.

2. Azomite is marketed with some outrageous claims. Perhaps it's time for them to quit reading their own press releases or at least stop repeating them.

Here is a thread on this forum that's been going on for a couple of years about 'soil mineralization' that you might find helpful or at least entertaining.

For an overview of the different type of 'rock dusts' (the term in England is 'stone meal') you can visit Remineralize The Earth Foundation and get unvarnished information about the different rock dusts/mineral agents and some of the discussion about volcanic vs. glacial rock dusts.

Back to your question, I've never seen the versions that you mentioned available in this area of the USA. The granular is the one available at the farm & feed stores. Not sure about consumer packs.

BTW - it's all 'slow released'

LOL

CC

Ninja420

Thanks CC,

I have been reading the soil mineralization thread (excellent) and will check out the link you posted.

I have been using/experimenting with different rock dusts and clays. Soft rock phosphate, glacial rock dust, greensand, bentonite, and pyrophylitte(sp?).

I just found a farm that sells all organic stuff about 15 mins from the house I just bought. They can get azomite. Never used it so I was just wondering. I figured the granular.

It is funny that they labeled one as "slow release".

Ninja420

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I have been using/experimenting with different rock dusts and clays. Soft rock phosphate, glacial rock dust, greensand, bentonite, and pyrophylitte(sp?).

Ninja420
Ninja420

A local mix (i.e. Naomi's Mineral Mix) is a combination of glacial rock dust, Azomite, soft rock phosphate, greensand (snerk) and limestone and in equal amounts (by volume).

1 cup to each 1 c.f. of potting soil and add another cup of the glacial rock dust.

RE: Bentonite

Check out the properties of bentonite vs. Azomite and see for yourself how much a difference there actually is. Zilch! Nada! Nothing! Like I said, Azomite has a strong marketing brigade.

But across the country (and around the world) there are local rock deposits which are supposed to end hunger in the Third World, eradicate genital warts, cure testicular cancer, stop the heartbreak of psoriasis, etc.

BTW - some folks buy into the Azomite deal so much that they ingest it. An interesting concept to be sure given the high levels of aluminum that volcanic rock dusts (in general) contain. It's also mixed with clays and applied to the skin at high-end spas.

Ahem......................

CC

Last edited:

judas cohen

I use the micronized azomite (1000 mesh, if memory serves me right.) It is considered water soluble and immediately available, due to being a fine powder consistency. It may b used as foliar spray, or in watering, and mixed globaly in soil.

I think Naomi's Organic Mineral Mix, which includes 4 other minerals, mixed in my soil is the best way of applying it. I bought the micronized before I was aware of Naomi's.

Thanks to CC for turning me on to Concentrates.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I'm all about the Azomite enemas.
The song by Killer Pussy comes to mind.....

They told me stick the nozzle in
There’s really nothing to it
It’s not a very pretty job
But someone’s got to do it.

Back to your regular scheduled programming on the ICMAG station.

CC

NUG-JUG

CC- If I buy some good glacial rock dust do need Azomite still? I was thinking of getting the Gaia Earth kind. thanks

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC- If I buy some good glacial rock dust do need Azomite still? I was thinking of getting the Gaia Earth kind. thanks
NUG-JUG

I started out using the Gaia Green product because it was the least expensive ($10.00 vs. $20.00 for Azomite).

Then I switched to this mineral mix made up by a couple of the organic farm supply stores as did many commercial organic farmers. I like this mix because it's made from 5 different sources - including Azomite.

So here's a suggestion - mix 2x parts of glacial rock dust, 1x Azomite and 1x either limestone or oyster shell powder (aka flour). This will give you a pretty solid diverse mineral source. Apply at the same rate (amount) that you were planning on if using Azomite by itself.

Toss in 1x part of agriculture gypsum and 1x soft rock phosphate and you're dancin' from my experience.

Just an idea.............

CC

couchlockd

i have just picked up some azomite, greensand, dolomite lime, rock phospate, and gaia green glacial rock dust. i will mix equal parts of each, but how much of the "mix" would i add to 1 cubic foot of soil?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had to switch from miracle grow because their organic line went to hell. It has to be a completely different source now because there are just loads of sticks, bark, small rocks, and really poor quality soil. It used to be super thick and a beautiful dark black. Now it is more grey and brown/black and the last batch smelled awful. I used it for the outdoor garden instead. Went back bought some of the moisture control version and it is about the worst soil I have ever seen, lol. Friggin green algae all over, tons of obstructions, extremely dense, no way to tell if it is wet or dry, can't decide whether it wants to retain moisture or completely dry out. Only bought a couple of bags of that so no big loss but I went back to foxfarm ocean forest and couldn't be more pleased even at a ridiculous price of 25$ a bag. Gonna order pallets next time since it is 9$ a bag that way.

P.S. sunshine mix #4 is far superior to promix which I was extremely loyal to for no reason my entire grow 'career'...Way more perlite, way smoother, much more lighter, better color, easier to carry, easier to cut up, easier break up, and much less obstructions.

Last edited:

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
Azomite is #200 mesh fine. Its a good product and will faster acting than the slow release (of course). Glacial rock dust is slightly cheaper and is basically the same thing. I just sourced a gravel pit which has broad spectrum #200 mesh rock fines for a few bucks a ton. Most people don't need that much, but i do :) Azomite 44lb bag - $30, Glacial Rock dust 50lb bag - $20 - $25, gravel pit rock dust 2000lbs - $10