What's new

Acapulco Gold - bag experiment

Seneca

Sampled some of the local weed down in Acapulco Mexico. The best was a shaky/seedy sativa smoke, nice mellow buzz, great to hang out at the pool/beach. The local swore was from the Acapulco area.

We'll I got curios about the APO seeds, so I popped some indoors in cups and latter small pots. I was impressed, vigorous growth, nice structure. I took the best male and 2 different female outdoors to be seeded. 3 weeks into flower in small pots, about 24-26"

What's my goal for this breading project? Fun, I just wanted to see a couple of Acapulco plants.

Likely it's not the real deal Acapulco Gold, but a Mexican Hybrid

More of a hybrid:

Leaning towards the sativa side:

The Male:

The original weed, I rarely see Mexi swag

I'll give the f2s a better chance to shine in a couple of months. What do you think real APO Gold or Mexi brick????

facestabber

Very fun! I live in Northern Cali so I've got access to all kinds of great genetics but it hasnt always been this way. I moved here a few months ago from a part of Florida where mexi-schwag is about all thats available. Over the years living in FL I grew out hundreds of mexican bagseeds and found many great plants. Some of the plants I grew from schwag bagseeds would rival Cali's finest strains. There was one plant in particular that comes to mind that had a strong metallic smell. It was too potent! The morning it was dry enough to smoke I took a few hits off a joint on my way to work and had to pull over on the side of the road. After gaining my composure a half hour later I drove to the next store and used a payphone to call in sick. Dont underestimate mexican weed when grown properly! Good luck with the breeding.

Squiggles

i read in an old high times that Acapulco Gold was gold/yellow because they ring barked the plants at about 2-3 weeks till the finish, this stressed them and they also changed colour as they died making it easier to dry them in the end ??

hawaiiOG

it should have a gold and yellow color to it over the years of the Mexicans fucking with it the strain, it started to come out gold/yellow and stayed with the strain for years. I have not seen that strain for years some time early 80's was the last time I got some of the Gold.And from the looks of it you have more of an indica and the gold was a sativa

Seneca

This well seeded Acapulco Gold from the Acapulco Mex region is looking close to ready. I'm not really sure/confident it has any original AG traits, heck it might just be common old weed. but never the less it's a nice easy to grow outdoor plant. The F2 seeds should give me a better idea of what I've created.

Seneca

Whats the right time to harvest this seed Acapulco Gold? I'm see some of the seed pods cracking open. Should I want until 75% are cracked before harvest? or is this a good time?

Thx

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
i'm still waiting for mine to get to the ripe stage, i think you just wait until they turn brown and you can see them sitting in the calyxes. about 40 days after you pollinated the lot :D

E

elmanito

I'm happy more people are growing AG.:blowbubbles:

Good luck with it.:yes:

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

T

THE PABLOS

I always thought Acapulco Gold was a trade name....why wouldn't it be a HOG?....that is the state where HOG was grown...up there in the mnts. I doubt that the plants grew gold either...probably more a curing process...girdles...etc...there was a lot of gold weed back in those days....but it surely didn't grow gold.

I've been down that way on a surf trip....I love Mexican pot in the tropics....the tropics seem to make everything better....I wonder what those farmers did with all the old genetics? Maybe up in the hills there are isolated pockets....untouched by time and modern genetics...funny at how we view the 70s as a long lost time....when in the reality of evolution...it is nothing. Yet fields of annuals can change into something else...in such a short time.....I don't think I believe in "landraces" anymore....when speaking of cannabis.

They have amazing surf down there...that hasn't changed...little bit more accessible these days though.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...it was gold because it was sun dried and that destroys the chlorophyll ...AG was def more closely related to the colombian highland sativas or the panamanian...tho the punta rojo had a slightly different bud shape to it... pablos,i think the HOGS are from the other side of the mountain so to speak...not sure how close they are related to AG....

G

guest121295

Yeah, where's the Mexican forum??? I mean more people have seriuos patches down there and there must be some incredible variety if you walked through an acre of your average Mexican grow.Harvest time, who knows when or how must have some premium dank if a dicerning picker were nearby!!!I've seen soo much"behind the barn" bagseed throughout my earlier career and being in New Mexico the stuff was probably up from down there somewhere, lord knows lots of other more esoteric substances seemed to waltz through, there must be some deep connections out there for that shinin' Mexi primo!!My Mango/widow is like that, really great" behind the barn weed" over at Pachecos place this year.:)

E

elmanito

I'm sure you can still find any of the oldies from the past over there.I already have seen some passing by at icmag in some threads.

This is my Acapulco Gold pollinated with an Oaxacan.

picture.php

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

smokefrogg

Veteran
looking beautiful man! this is cool and i'm scribin' to it, got some from bag seed myself, doesn't look too similar but what the heck, bag seed is for fun and who knows what kind of gem we may find!

T

THE PABLOS

Yeah, where's the Mexican forum??? I mean more people have seriuos patches down there and there must be some incredible variety if you walked through an acre of your average Mexican grow.Harvest time, who knows when or how must have some premium dank if a dicerning picker were nearby!!!I've seen soo much"behind the barn" bagseed throughout my earlier career and being in New Mexico the stuff was probably up from down there somewhere, lord knows lots of other more esoteric substances seemed to waltz through, there must be some deep connections out there for that shinin' Mexi primo!!My Mango/widow is like that, really great" behind the barn weed" over at Pachecos place this year.:)

Man I love Mexican weed....I really do....and love the country...the peeps...being on the border....I've seen lots of Mexican weed....generally I relate Mexican herb....to sativa chill....and eat a been burrito. I've lived off Mex weed and bean burritos...back in the day...down on the beach....summer sun...Mexican radio.

Such a big place...so variable...with loads of weed history...the Mexicans were smoking weed before most peeps to their north....you would think that those strains...would still be somewhere....but with the way canna populations change....it wouldn't be the same. I don't see how any of it could breed true...IBLs..etc...I really think it is very much dependent on where it is grown....otherwise it seems...that in such a big pot producing country....there would be even more named legends.

Bag seeds...great thing....never know what pops up. Fun stuff.

WelderDan

Veteran
We sometimes got the real deal in the late 70's, early 80's. When we grew out the seeds, the leaves were thinner as I recall, and the plant itself wasn't as big as the Colombians we were growing.

I haven't tasted pot like that since then.

Seneca

It's time to chop the Acapulco Gold seed plant, times-up and Fall has arrived. Does this AG have the legendary genetics of the 70's superstar???

Not sure if anyone knows for sure anymore...

Planning on running a 10 seed batch of AG F2 in near future, could be interesting :)

AeroJoe

My friend used to get it all the time it was really good but it wasn't gold colored, i'd say it looked more like jack herrer/panama red w/ a good amount of red hairs.