What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1000W GL145 Perpetual Top-fed SOG

Cannabean

:blowbubbles:Hi guys, I'm back again, hopefully for a while, and havn't been able to grow for over a year now so I'm eager to get back into it:jump:. So no bs, let's get right into it, here's what I'm working with:

Flowering Room Setup:
Growlab GL145 Tent
Botanicare white 2’ x 4’ flood trays
Snapture PVC stand
27gal black/yellow reservoirs
56 square 6” white pots

Flowering Room Lighting:
CAP 1000w Nextgen ballast
Hydrofarm Radiant 8
1000w Hortilux bulb

Ventilation:
S&P TD-400x 8” fan
8” HD Insulated duct
Organic Air 8” Charcoal filter
Air intake filter 1500 MPR

Irrigation:
ART-DNe flood cycle timer
2 x Ecoplus 396 water pumps
2 x black flex-PVC tubing
60 x ¼” rubber grommet
2 x PVC irrigation manifolds
Ecoplus air pump + 2 air stones
Smallboy water sediment filter
RO water filter

Mother/Clone Room:
Growlab Clonelab tent
4’ 6 bulb Sunleaves Pioneer VI - T5 light
2’ 6 bulb GrowBright T5 light
S&P TD-100x 4” fan + 8’ duct
5x5” mom pots
Heat mat
Small oscillating fans

Strains:
Blue Dream Haze
Cheese
OG Kush - Apothecary cut
OG Kush - Larry cut
OG Kush - SFV cut
OG Kush - Skywalker cut
OG Kush - Fire cut
Blackberry Kush
Amnesia
Bing
Shiskaberry
Catpiss (bay area cut)
Banana Gum
Sour Dubble
Blue Dot (OCBC Cut)
’93 Super Skunk (******’s cut)

ok bong rip...:dance013:
This thread is starting on Flowering day 2. I've got 28 girls going, a mix of strains for this first one (should be one strain per table).

GL240 4'9" x 4'9" x 6'7" tent

Hydrofarm Radiant 8" with 1000w hortilux mounted as high as it'll go in the tent.

Two 27gal reservoirs and a Snapture table stand

Ventilation is a S&P TD-200x 8" 419 cfm and a DIY 8" silencer

Fan is insulated and enclosed in a er high teck wood house :biglaugh:

It runs from the tent out of the garage

Smallboy Sediment and crap RO filter (comes out 7ppm, so what its 1gal/hour:artist:

28 babies rooted in 3x3 till the roots are busting out then placed atop about 5" of hydroton, fed by individual drip lines through a DIY PVC manifold from an ecoplus 396 pump. should be one strain per table so the nutrients can be catered but shits gotta get started!!!:hotbounce

Flowering Day 2 -
EC - 0.7
pH - 5.5

Growlab Clonelab + S&P TD-100x 101cfm

Powered by a 6bulb 4' Sunleaves Pioneer VI T5 and a 6bulb 2' T5

Blue Dream Haze moms on the left + Cheese mom and other babymothers vegging

Here's how the ondeck flowering group starts, roots hang down in a 1020 tray until they are bursting out :watchplant:

Woot!!!:jump: I should be here for a while...questions/comments welcome. so it begins again :smoky:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
nice setup and strains bro i just got a few 5x5 growlabs ur pics helped answer alot of ??s i had about sttin up the ventilation. i got a chair parked for this one.
peace stoney

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Very pro.

Curious, Blue dream is SSH x BB. Do you mean Blue dream or Blue dream x some-haze?

Cannabean

thanks stoney917! any lingering questions, feel free.:tiphat:

dusto2k3: they are open end drip lines, no drippers to impede the flow, it comes out in a steady stream. They are either shoved into the rockwool or held above the rockwool via drip stakes. They are fed for 30 second intervals every 4 hours, decreasing to every 2.5 hours once their roots grow more.

Mr Celsius: thanks for stopping by! I really liked the table grows you had a while ago. you thunked the BDH hard....:bow:

speaking of Blue Dream Haze, I got her about 2.5 years ago (December 08) from a group of Solana Beach growers who had her on lockdown before she really blew up in socal. When I was gifted the cut I was told it was called "Blue Dream Haze" and is DJ Short's Blueberry x Neville's Haze.
Its been my favorite strain since I got it and I've seen quite a few buds labeled "Blue Dream" at some clubs down here with her same distinct smell but far inferior quality. I figure the shortened name is just that, but I hate how strains get renamed for convenience and then no one knows the lineage and different cuts get confused as the same thing. :chin:

I got her as "Blue Dream Haze" so that'll always be her name in my book and here is how the true BDH should always look

Mr Celsius

Veteran

Yup, that's her!

I honestly don't know what it is. I'm sure it has Blueberry in it, but don't "know", ya know? :p

I'm trying her out in a pseudo-sog for the first time. I'll try and get a pic and upload it, if you don't mind of course.

I think I have 32 (around that number) on a 3'x6' table ATM.

I've been growing her for like... :confused: 2+ years. Stretches like a mofo, but finishes in a reasonable time.

Cannabean

Yah, Mr. C you definitely got the BDH I'm talking about, I saw pics of her that you posted in a BDH thread when she was just getting popular. Nugs looked IDENTICAL to mine, very nice by the way...

what strains are you running now? You're in the bay right? whats the hype purple strain at the moment up there?
I went to richmond to get some kens and even though they were charging $30/clone they were sold out. Instead, I got some definitely FAKE blue dream and some cheese cuts which I'm mothering out right now.

Cannabean

quick update tonight :dance013:

just got a new Phresh 8"x24" carbon filter for the odors, got it set up and ready to go...even rated for 730 cfm but still causes my 420cfm fan quite a bit of work ...

Day 9
EC 0.95
pH 5.6

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
thanks canna dem pics are exactly what i needed what r ur temps in there with the 1k on? also i notice ur in the garage is there an ac in the garage. what do ya do for cool air intake ?my tent is in a room controled with a central ac hope it keeps my temps low enough. dude ya started thihs thread at the perfect time for me bro. i should be up and runnin in less the a week. peace brotha thanks for the help.

Cannabean

whats up stoney917!! glad I was able to help :friends:

My temps when lights turn on are usually around 72°, 58% RH, when lights go off its about 65°, 61% RH. No AC or dehuey, just pulling new air in from the garage intake and blowing it out with my 420cfm S&P td200x.

Hey, nice setup Cannabean! I was just wondering how loud your fan is. I ordered the TD-200 (the x type with plastic seems to be discontinued) to vent a 1000w in a GL120 too :) I ordered an S&P because most people rave about how quiet they are. Did you really need a silencer to quiet it down? Thanks!

Cannabean

hey partcleguy, thanks for stopping by!!
Yah, they have discontinued the 200x with the plastic blades, which is probably a good thing. I don't mean that the 200x is bad I just think that metal blades of the 200 will work better when pressurized, i.e. you're sucking through a carbon filter. The silencer doesn't do anything as far as noise...its just in there because I have it.

The noise you're fan is going to make is from 2 things; the sound of moving air, which you can eliminate by venting to the outside and eliminating any gaps in your duct line. The other noisemaker is the motor of the fan/blades, this can be reduced by insulating, etc.

I mounted mine to a wall, insulated it, then built a wood box around it for further insulation. This worked great until I added a carbon filter, which is when the plastic blades of my 200x started to strain under the negative pressure and the fan motor now makes more noise, though its not too loud. Vibration noise from the motor working hard will also be noticeable unless you mount it via bungees...
...stuff I learned from trying to grow too big in a closet that I had to sleep 10 from.

How are you mounting it? What ducting are you going to use? Insulation is a must if you're trying to kill the noise completely, how are you insulating it?...things to think about

bussibud

great grow! Looks like a solid set up and can't wait to see some fat nuggets! No matter what I hear i always love the power of a 1000W bulb!

Sweet feedback Cannabean- this is still speculative since most of my materials are still in the mail (e.g. grow tent/reflector haven't arrived yet) but that doesn't matter since I can't grow until it gets a lot cooler outside! I'm going to be running the tent in an attic that has passive cooling (thus it has small vents around the edges of the roof that go straight outside). My ambient temps will be really cold in the middle of winter so I also have a smaller 4" vortex that I may use so the 1000w can be used to heat the inside when its on. Then I'll have to get a space heater to keep it warm enough during the day when the lights are off.

I want to run it so the exhaust is through the reflector inside the tent (not hooked up directly through the tent- all of the exhaust will be through the reflector and I will use passive intake). So it will go reflector->ducting outside and around to the top-> insulated box on top of the tent holding the 8" fan. The fan will simply exhaust into the attic and I will be using a vaportek optimum 4000 for odor control (but will def keep an eye out for smell- if I need a carbon filter I will get one). I have a little bit of regular ducting to test it with, but if its still really loud I'll get some insulated ducting too.

I guess I gotta play it by ear but I always try for the stealthiest setup...

Oh yeah forgot to mention I have a fan controller I'll use to keep it as quiet as possible too. I ran a cabinet grow about a year ago. Custom built the cabinet for stealth but I was in a tiny apartment so I literally only had space to exhaust straight from the cabinet through my 4" vortex and into the apartment without any ducting (vaportek optimum 4000 worked fine). Haha without an insulated box or insulated ducting, and even slowed down with my speed controller significantly, it was like a jet engine near my bed. Really hoping to improve on that sorry design :p

Cannabean

Sweet feedback Cannabean- this is still speculative since most of my materials are still in the mail (e.g. grow tent/reflector haven't arrived yet) but that doesn't matter since I can't grow until it gets a lot cooler outside! I'm going to be running the tent in an attic that has passive cooling (thus it has small vents around the edges of the roof that go straight outside). My ambient temps will be really cold in the middle of winter so I also have a smaller 4" vortex that I may use so the 1000w can be used to heat the inside when its on. Then I'll have to get a space heater to keep it warm enough during the day when the lights are off.

I want to run it so the exhaust is through the reflector inside the tent (not hooked up directly through the tent- all of the exhaust will be through the reflector and I will use passive intake). So it will go reflector->ducting outside and around to the top-> insulated box on top of the tent holding the 8" fan. The fan will simply exhaust into the attic...

Wait, so you're pulling through the light which pulls through the bottom of the tent which pulls air from...the ambient air in the attic? And the exhaust air is going straight back into the attic? and the passive venting you're using are small holes near the ceiling of the attic?
The problem i foresee with this is that the 1000w is going to heat that attic up FAST, despite how cold the outside ambient is since you're not actually pulling that outside ambient air into the attic/tent if I'm understanding correctly. The humidity will get too high also if the tent is exhausting into the ambient air that you're pulling from.
If you're able to actively(vs passively) push some of that 1000w exhaust air outside, then it will create negative pressure and will pull in the cold ambient in from outside air via the other small ceiling holes (sounds like there are many).

Yeah you described it right- just taking ambient air from the attic and venting back into the attic. This is my first 1000w grow so I can understand those things get a lot hotter than a 400w! You still think that's going to be too hot when its 40 outside? I'm actually gonna be vegging with a 400w cmh to keep temps down until the last week or two of veg when they're too big for that when I'll switch to a 1000w mh then to an hps for flowering. The good news is there is a hole with a fan that exhausts the air in the attic (its a small sorta piece of crap fan that's really not big enough). If need be I can remove the fan, get a carbon filter, and exhaust through the hole outside.

Again, thanks for the advice! Can't wait to dial this in. I guess I'm just going to use a space heater near the intake to keep it warm during the day when the lights are off and its 40 or below outside. The heat from the house below should also keep it relatively warmer than outside.

Anyway, back to your grow sir! haha

Cannabean

Yeah you described it right- just taking ambient air from the attic and venting back into the attic. This is my first 1000w grow so I can understand those things get a lot hotter than a 400w! You still think that's going to be too hot when its 40 outside? I'm actually gonna be vegging with a 400w cmh to keep temps down until the last week or two of veg when they're too big for that when I'll switch to a 1000w mh then to an hps for flowering. The good news is there is a hole with a fan that exhausts the air in the attic (its a small sorta piece of crap fan that's really not big enough). If need be I can remove the fan, get a carbon filter, and exhaust through the hole outside.

Yes, I guarantee it will get too hot in the attic in about 20min with that 1000w bulb and no active push or pull from the outside 40° ambient. You said you had a 4" inline fan? Could you use that to push the hot 1000w air out by keeping the 1000w on a dedicated line?
...either way, you gotta have some active pull or push from the outside air, those small holes won't be able to cool the room passively on their own. Think about it like you have a 1000w space heater on for 12 hours a day in the attic.
...with those cold ambients though you might be able to get a CAP temp controller, hook it up to the 4" fan which pulls from outside ambient, pushing through your 1000w hood, and then into the tent. That way the cap controller would monitor the temp of the room and would turn the fan on once it gets too hot from the 1000w, and turn the fan off once the room gets too cold from pulling in 40° ambient...just an idea...you'll be able to make it work somehow though thanks to those cold outside temps, they are a blessing. :wave:

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Yah, Mr. C you definitely got the BDH I'm talking about, I saw pics of her that you posted in a BDH thread when she was just getting popular. Nugs looked IDENTICAL to mine, very nice by the way...

what strains are you running now? You're in the bay right? whats the hype purple strain at the moment up there?
I went to richmond to get some kens and even though they were charging $30/clone they were sold out. Instead, I got some definitely FAKE blue dream and some cheese cuts which I'm mothering out right now.

Hey bro, I actually found out something about our blue dream. So SSH was actually made from nevilles haze when Shanti left and joined up with Neville, so were both right... sort of. :dance013:

Man, I'm so over clone and strain hype. I'm just growing out what I could get my hands on this run. I got some blackberry kush (Bubba X blackberry)x(OG kush), some NL x BB (blueberry) and the Blue dream.

I'm in mid process of ordering some stuff from various breeders (through Gypsy of course!). I'm more about growing out some killer moms for myself. _|_ (middle finger) all these guys saying they crosses this to that or this is that... its all BS and they lie all the time. + anything you get from clubs comes with spider mites, PM and/or any other insect/disease.

If I wanted something good and purple... well I'd probably grow out some strains that are known to have purple phenos or are just straight purple. That way you don't have anything generic. Although, my all time favorite smoke is GDP... so that'll always have a place in my heart.