What's new

Microscope for examining trichomes

calstar

What is a decent(in lower end of price range) hand held 30x microscope for following trichome development? I don't want to buy junk but I have a relatively small budget for this purchase. I only have a 10x jewelers loop and it doesn't cut it. Any recommendations of any type of instrument that does the job will be appreciated. Thanks

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Radioshack makes a good scope that sells for about $12, I know lots of people use that with success

Snype

Veteran
Any 30x handheld microscope will do just fine. I like to use a 30x diamond loop.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
The RS scope is inexpensive and works well. While the Eyeclops bottoms out at 100X, It allows for easier live viewing (the scope generally needs pieces cut off) and takes pictures, too. Price fluctuates. I don't recommend it at MSRP of $80. I got it for $30. Someone here got it for $11

Shots live from the garden

nice pics freezer but i find using a LED light on trichs makes them harder to tell when to harvest due to the blueish tint....

Panama Red

Blackburngrower has the right idea.

I've got a half dozen of those for checking trichs, gemstones, etc.

Unless you're old and decrepit.

Then you'll need a prescription for bi-focals and a di-opter.

Or get your grandkids to check the trichs for ya.......

Xare

nice pics freezer but i find using a LED light on trichs makes them harder to tell when to harvest due to the blueish tint....

Ambers show up very clearly under the LED light.

It might be hard to tell if its gone from clear to cloudy but its really easy to see them going amber.

I use an eye clops bioni cam I got around X-mas time for 20 bucks.

its basicly the light color of leds i can see it better with a bright 6500k light and my lil radioshack magnifier i used led to check before and didnt like it much but thats just my opinion and what i like to do...

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i came across a digital blue qx3 microscope for 6 bucks at the salvation army....The digitals are nice cause you can see it on the computer ,with just a clip of a leaf.Their prob about $20-30 on ebay..Takes nice pictures and a real pleasure to use ,if your gonna be growing for awhile it might be worth the investment..

ahh sorryy i didn't comprehend ,you wanted a handheld...

wish someone would make a guide with magnification like stating "if your trichomes have not developed stalks yet you have xxx weeks left" or "if trichomes are cloudy and some amber start flushing" with pics of each stage of trichome development would be nice i cant do this as my macro photos aint close enough and myself needs help with telling harvest time by trichomes.....and simple question if a trichome has no stalk on it and alot of em are like that there should be what 3-4 weeks left? there is some with stalks however....

Dankiam

i use my 100x by 60x scope to tell there still in the white stage starting to go cloudy i still have about 4 weeks left on my chart till harvest but so far im doing alright for a first timmer im so happy ive almost got one under my belt im ready to try my stuff already but do not want to wait how long should u flush 14 days?

Dankiam

The RS scope is inexpensive and works well. While the Eyeclops bottoms out at 100X, It allows for easier live viewing (the scope generally needs pieces cut off) and takes pictures, too. Price fluctuates. I don't recommend it at MSRP of $80. I got it for $30. Someone here got it for $11

Shots live from the garden

i got mine for 14.5 at a local grow shop just shop around near you youll find one cheap and they are worth it!!

DevilWeed

If you can use a USB scope, the Veho VMS-001 is great and I think it was about $50.

picture.php

SoSincere

Thanks Devilweed, just ordered one of those scopes. Is the image you posted at 200X? Does it display a live view of whats under the lens? Looks like exactly what i need to determine harvest time. Very tired of looking through the eyepiece of the radioshack scope, and I love the ability to snap photos.

Wolverine97

Veteran
wish someone would make a guide with magnification like stating "if your trichomes have not developed stalks yet you have xxx weeks left" or "if trichomes are cloudy and some amber start flushing" with pics of each stage of trichome development would be nice i cant do this as my macro photos aint close enough and myself needs help with telling harvest time by trichomes.....and simple question if a trichome has no stalk on it and alot of em are like that there should be what 3-4 weeks left? there is some with stalks however....

The problem is that it's all strain dependent, some strains never go amber.