What's new

My stealth cabinet

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm getting all my pieces together to do a stealth cabinet grow along the lines of pipedreams cabinet ( thanx pipe dream ..your an inspiration ) . I picked up a stand up clothes closet 70" high x 36" wide by 24" deep . got it all cleaned up & painted . put a lock on the doors , cut some holes in the lower back part for my intake vents . just gotta paint the inside with some flat white paint & start putting things together . its going to be awhile before its finished cuz i need some things from my current basement grow like the light , 110 cfm whisper quiet bathroom fan & my 25" can filter which are all being used right now for at least another month .
i sealed up the doors with some self stick window weather stripping to make it light proof . picked some attic vents to put in the back for intake vents . ( not worried about light getting in cuz it will be against the wall with enough space for air circulation .) this cabinet should give me about 4' grow hieght with 35" width & 23" deep ... good enough for four 2 gallon bubbler buckets which i have all set up & waiting . i have all the pumps i need thanks to a friends generosity.
going to use a 250 wayy HPS light with a remote ballast & some t5 lights along the bottom somewhere to get lighting to the bottom of the plants as they get big . between my fan & can filter I'm not worried about smell or exhaust . going to use a small turbo fan blowing on the light to try & help with the temps but will only know once its up & running how the temps are really going to be & i'll work on something then if the need arises .
i'm pretty sure i have everything to get this done & will once the SD grow is done at the end of the month . but i will get some pics of my progress as i get things done in the cabinet.
:wave::wave:

Heres some pics so far ....
my cabinet as is ..
camperpics062.jpg

camperpics063.jpg

top shelf will be where all my electrics & fan & scrubber wiil go ..
camperpics065.jpg

bottom part should give me at least 4 ' of growing space ... will put in a scrog net & 3 36" T5 lights along the net to light up the lower half of the plants & maybe use them for cloning a few plants. will have more than enough room for 4 buckets & a dual diafram pump down on the bottom .
camperpics064.jpg

heres a shot of my bubbler buckets ....
camperpics066.jpg

this should be a nice stealth cabinet if everything works out right .

Are your airstones big enough? What's it look like when running? I use a much longer airstone on my SWC bell peppers. I always figured those smaller ones were really only for fish. I could be totally wrong though.

Skillet

HHmmmmmmmm......just read sugarbears thread about his 400 watt cabinet .....
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=57712

wonder if i should use my 430 watt HPS instead of the 250 .... was worried about the heat but maybe I can use it after all .
what do you guys think ????

Keep with the 250. High temps in a stealth cab are a bitch to deal with and a 250 will grow some great bud in that cab. Nice work so far! Do a SCroG in there and you'll be golden!

Skillet

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
007 ...yeah the 2 stones together do a nice job of bubbling the water ... alot of turbulance ...will get pics of it to show ya soon . look at pipedreams buckets with only 1 1" stone & i'm doubleing that so should be good to go . https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21514

skillet .... yeah thats why i was thinkin the 250 in the first place ....heat build up . probably going to go that route but going to try the 430 first before any plants in there for 24 hrs just to see what temps i would get .was also thinking about 2 150 watts lights side by side ....one HPS the other metal halide cuz i can get both fairly cheap .......hmmmmmm. decisions decisions LOL

Skillet

I have 2 150s vertically in a cooltube in my cab, and it's great. With both on, the cab runs about 3 degrees warmer than ambient, and when it gets too hot outside (and thus in my no-A/C apartment) I can turn one of the 150s off and the cab runs at ambient temp. The only way to accomplish that with a 250 would be to get a dimmable digital ballast. Lumatek makes one in 250w.

Granted, I have the larger whisperfan (150 CFM) but it's also cooling a veg chamber with 100w CMH in it. I think you'll be able to exhaust 300w with your fan without too much difficulty. 430 I think is pushing it without a cooltube on a separate circuit.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
250 vs 400 in that space is mostly a matter of noise and how much you're willing to put up with. Obviously a 400 requires bigger fans which mean more noise. If the room is locked to all outsiders, fan noise can be managed. If it's a common area with visitors, I'd stay with the 250 or smaller.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got some more work done on my cabinet today ...got her all caulked up & sealed ..
camperpics068.jpg

camperpics067.jpg

then went & got some BEHR bright white interior flat latex paint & gave her 2 coats ....
camperpics070.jpg

first coat ...
camperpics073.jpg

camperpics072.jpg

then second & final coat ....
camperpics074.jpg

camperpics075.jpg

I love this paint ,, its got a primer in it as well as being a really good & fast drying paint .

then i covered my vents with a black material (t-shirt type ) that holds in the light pretty good but still lets the air in & then mounted my vents . also covered the floor in a black sheet of 1/2 " thick neoprene & caulked that to foe sound dampening & waterproofing the floor ( in case of spills ) ....
camperpics076.jpg

also picked up today at homedepot a set of 3 T5 12 " under the cabinet lights that loop together & mounted them at 22" of the floor . if i decide i need a scrog net ..I'l put that just under the T5's . not sure if i'm going to need it though .
camperpics077.jpg

camperpics078.jpg

well .... thats about it for today , its getting late & i need a smoke break . then prolly crash for the night . will post up more as i get it done . see ya when i see ya ....:wave::wave:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Must have been baked when i put the lights in as i have them facing down instead of facing up ....dohhhh !! will change that tomorrow prolly LOL .

FlaDankster

Veteran
Nice set up there dansbuds.

Just posted in another thread of yours and clicked over here.I run something a bit bigger myself but after helpin a buddy set his cab up and seein some stuff on here i really want to put one in the bedroom!The other half said that would be cool so i'ma start lookin around for something i can throw a 250 in.

Lookin good bro,can't wait to see some eye candy in there.

FD

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No need to steal it joe .... thats what we're here for ... to share ideas !!!!

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude, please tell me where you got that cab. I have been looking for one all over with those dimensions.

got it on craigslist locally , just keep looking ...you'll find one .

man u need lgts lgts lgts asap

its coming ..... look this weekend while i finish it up .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK ...got alot more done in my cabinet . just about ready to go actually . just need an ingnitor for the 250 hps ( kinda broke it making the ballast a remote one ...ooops ) & gotta test it all out for heat in the cab & the buckets before i drop any clones in there .

heres a few pics of my progress so far ... should have done a write up on my fan modifications but will explain the best i can .

heres a shot of the left top side of my shelf where my fan is blowing the scrubbed air out the back of of the cabinet & drawing through the bottom of the shelf through the 25" can filter . & the digital timer plug strip ... has 4 outlets controled by the digi timer & 4 constant power outlets .
camperpics095.jpg

heres a shot of the right side of my shelf with the ballast & my nutes . i left the ballast mounted to the housing so i still had the shut off switch . also so the ballast & wiring are kinda hidden & i can also put the whole system back together in the sunsystem hood if i ever wanted to .
camperpics096-1.jpg

camperpics105.jpg

the last one shows the whole set up on the shelf & just under it .

a close up of the light & scrubber ..
camperpics097.jpg

the light is just on cup hooks & i have jack chain to lower it down to where i need it . the light hood & bracket i made my self from some roof flashing & some brackets i had here for different things .
now the bottom where my buckets & pump are sitting ... could easily fit 6 buckets but think i'll keep it down to 4 or less .
camperpics100.jpg

camperpics104.jpg

camperpics098.jpg

a few random shots of how it turned out .

camperpics105.jpg

camperpics102-2.jpg

camperpics102-1.jpg

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The fan is a panisonic whisper quiet 110 cfm bathroom exhaust fan that i modified by putting a 1" wooden trim around the outside of the housing so that it lines up with the interior walls of the fan . then i mounted some sheet metal cut to exact size of the wood trim & screwed it in place . then cut a 4" hole directly over the center of the fan for best draw & bought a 4" sealed start collar for duct work & cut that down to 3 " to be able to get it on the shelf & through the 4" hole into the bottom area & the 4" duct to the filter .
i hope this is understandable ...lol basicly i made the fan draw through a 4" opening through the filter instead of blowing through the filter to maximize efficiancy of the fan ...... negative pressure instead of possitive pressure .