What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

will alfalfa tea inhibit flowering?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use it up to when i see pistils, then i stop using it. either as a liquid, a foliar or a top dressing on the soil.

MIZ'Z ELVIS

The N-P-K of Alfalfa meal varies from source to source brother, but is primarily used as a source of organic matter and Nitrogen(usually around 4% N w/.6% as water soluble N) in organic soils. So it's kind of a loaded ? with a not one size fits all kind of answer..... It depends on your strains nutrient requirements, and the other nutrient sources you are using(as well as how and when you use them).

In my experience, when I've finished certain grows and proceeded to recycle my soil(TLO style) I could clearly see that most of the alfalfa meal had been consumed within the soil, but some (5%-10%) had yet to decompose and break down into the soil. This was with plants transplanted at 10 days before flowering in a soil mix containing(amongst many other amendments) a 1/3 cup of alfalfa meal in 5 gallons of soil. Alfalfa meal is a vegans alternative to blood meal, and I used it in my mix for a well balanced N source with P&K and the added benefit of stimulating microbial activity. The Alfalfa meal I used to use was 2.5-1-1 and with that said my plants had no problem flowering and were as gorgeous as ever. As for Teas my brother, I would think you'd be ok with using Alfalfa as a source of NPK (primarily N though, as well as other micro-nutrients) in a tea as long as you adjust your NPK appropriately for the stage of growth your plants are in. So the old adage, read your plants, and let them tell you what they need is still the golden rule of gardening.

One more thing to consider is the fact that Alfalfa contains the hormone(PGR)Triacontanol. From what I've read it's said to increase yields, and initiate a quicker flowering response. (But) It's hard to discern useful information regarding it's effects on Cannabis as all of the technical data I've found is derived from studies on crops such as roses, corn, barley, and Soybeans. (But) What I've read from other heads is quite encouraging though. Triacontanol is also a key ingredient in Superthrive so it might just be beneficial to flowering(I've never used superthrive). I'm inclined to think the main reason Alfalfa meal is typically not suggested to be used in Flowering is due to it's high concentration of Nitrogen. I see no reason why a flowering tea couldn't be composed with Alfalfa as long as you balanced out your P&K with other fertilizer sources in accordance with your plants growth stages.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Having used Alfalfa throughout the cycle a few times,I have noticed an increase in foxtailing....specifically continuing to foxtail past the due ripening date. I would guess this is the tricontanol.
It's a great source of instant N.,but watch it! It can burn too...just be careful and use sparingly in flower if you choose to use it in flower at all....I think a better source of a fast release N. in flower would be fish hydrolysate....or EWC...or compost.
I should note that I use alfalfa in every recycling and notice it's breakdown rate as mentioned above by MIZ'Z ELVIS......it's good stuff,just have to understand it and learn the best ways to use it in your garden.

NUG-JUG

Based on what Capt.Cheeze and others have said I wouldn't use it in flower although it's great in veg. Use it in your mix initially then it should be about gone once flowering begins..?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
It would be interesting to find out just what the percentages are of tricontanol in alfalfa....perhaps the answer is out there. I know there are studies on it and extracts of it.
I'm just noting personal observations using various amounts,applications,and time of use....hope it helps someone.

NUG-JUG

Teas must increase the strength a lot. I top-dressed this little one with what I thought might have been too much alfalfa meal (basically a light mulch) and it seems to like it..

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not all alfalfa is created equal, it is very good at accumulating minerals from the soil its in. alfalfa grown in mineral rich soil will be 10X better than alfalfa grown in poor soil. i have a friend who grows alfalfa on a large scale and his stuff puts the alfalfa meal from the store to shame. every now and then i grow it myself because its easy and it works amazing as well.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mixing much alfalfa meal into your soil is asking for nutrient lock up. Just use minimal amounts in a mix and then topdress....just like mother nature.

Latest posts

Latest posts