What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Gardening with free supplys Grow! Check it.

Manitoid

Hi all! I have been a lurker for a while. My plants and I are in a GH in the beautiful full sun of Colorado. I am a caregiver.

So the holes are 3 feet square by 4 feet deep. In this grow low budget is the main concern, allow the pictures to do the talking.

The holes are filled with a "lasagna" stack. This is a gardening practice i picked up in a Permaculture book. They are traditionally raised beds, filled alternately with brown and green matter. As a practice lasagna gardens are only used for annuals the first year... RIght up our alley i thought. As many layers as possible, and as varied as possible. For example, in 3-4" depths: Horse compost, straw, horse compost, leaves, horse compost grass clippings, horse compost straw, etc until they holes are over full. They should then be watered in until saturated, and left for a week or two. If planted immediately the plants will show nitrogen deficiency due to it taking nitrogen to start breaking down the straw, grass, leaves.

Notice also that horse compost is every other layer, meaning 50% of the composition of the holes. ALl holes are covered with rough mulch to conserve water and protect soil surface.

10 Large pick up truck loads horse COMPOST (meaning >12 months old) for free from local horse boarder. 2 truck loads of rotten (better) straw bales free from craigslist. leaves, grass, etc acquired from my overly large compost pile (again for free)

Since the plants were planted, ONLY WATER has been applied at the rate of total saturation once every 7-10 days, when the plants BEGIN to ask for it. Plants will be assisted through flower with aerated compost tea.

Now the proof. No one needs to purchase expensive things from the grow store. I know there will be nay sayers. This is a soil free grow that is %50 compost. By the end of this first year, the lasagna layers will be non existant, and you will have created good rich topsoil in the holes with help of your roots. Amend 2nd year holes as perceived needed for good topsoil.

KEEP IN MIND... This IS an experiment for me. I have grown annual vegetables many years in lasagna raised beds. I thought it would apply great to mmj because the plants love the fertilizer

Pictures in order are:
1) Casey Jones the day it went in, lightly LST to ground
picture.php

2)Casey Jones today, 7 weeks later (only water)
picture.php
picture.php

3) Bubba Kush Day in ground, lightly LSTed
picture.php

4)Bubba Kush 7 weeks later (only water)
picture.php
picture.php

5)Hawaiian today
picture.php
picture.php

6)Durban Posion today
picture.php
picture.php

7)Grand Daddy Purps Today
picture.php
picture.php

free materials, only water... get with the program people...

Last edited:

Manitoid

Another example of what you can do with free materials, and only water (through Veg)

Another example of what you can do with free materials, and only water (through Veg)

This is a pic of some of the initiates to GH. notice in back center the UGLY 3 yellow leaves Sour D labeled planty. ugly.
picture.php

Next is a close up of same image highlighting how depleted and ugly the clone was when put in ground.
picture.php

Now a pic taken 7 weeks later on 8/1
picture.php
picture.php

the trellis is a about 4ft square and 5 ft high... These plants are kicking ass on free materials made into "lasagna" stack (see above). Only water will be used until flowering.

Last edited:

NUG-JUG

Nice to see a fellow Coloradan actually wise to the grow store game and growing great plants for free...Your at a point I'd like to get to soon. Great Job!:tiphat:

I truly hate the smug attitudes of the employees at the hydro places. They have given me so much wrong info that I'm glad I have ICmag or I'd be very mis-informed. I've been lasagna layering raised beds in my yard hoping that next year it will be ready to rock..

haxi

Great job here man...
Realy nice looking plants.
Some fresh bud is comming!!

Keep up the good work

Peace :rasta:

RipVanWeed

Way to go...I mean, way to grow!

Can't wait to see these girls flower, are they starting yet?

Tagged this one.

Much Respect,

Manitoid

The She Monsters have awaken from their slumber. UPDATE!

The She Monsters have awaken from their slumber. UPDATE!

So after apparently not paying attention for awhile, the ladies have started to flower.

I have just started brewing aerated compost tea. This is the least expensive way by far to get the BEST possible fertilizer in the world.

Since planting in lasagna stacks built for free there has been nothing put on the plants but water. It is now time to beef that up!

picture.php

Picture of the setup
picture.php

now onto eye candy...
My Favorite of all time... Durban Poison
picture.php

A Durban flower...
picture.php

Grand Daddy Purps (? on pheno)
picture.php

And a flower...
picture.php

Jack herer behemoth! 7-8' wide, 3' tall...
picture.php

Herer flower...
picture.php

Sour D. Look above for when trellis was applied... this has GROWN!
picture.php

Sour D flower...
picture.php

Bubba Kush today
picture.php

Flower off the Bubba Kush
picture.php

Hawaiian kicking ass
picture.php

some vegetable friends
picture.php

picture.php

there is more to come as there is more to see... thanks for viewing (leave rep?)

Manitoid

I am not positive what the difference between Aerated Compost Tea (ACT) and Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT). I have a pump that would brew 70-80 gallons brewing about 48gallons... so it is quite aerated!

Might it be said of all the latest updates. They HAVE ONLY BEEN FED WATER! This first batch of flowering tea brew has not been poured on yet, so we shall all see the expansive difference!

ingredients...

mollasses (1-0-5, so K, and Mg, and others)

Fox Farm Peace Of Mind Flower (5,8,4, fungi and bacteria innoculant out the ass)

High P Bat Guano (1,12,0, indo bat, cannot go wrong)

Kelp Meal (all them trace minerals! can you get more from anywhere else)

Earthworm Castings (innoculant and lovely stuff)

Little bit Soft Rock Phosphate as a vehicle for fungi to attach to in the tea

so 6 things...

Last edited:

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Those look awesome.... the power of home made organic food!!!!! Thanks for sharing your expierence.

I do the same thing in my compost piles, I mix moist dark material(grass clippings) and vegeatable leftovers with dry leaves.

Manitoid

just a little comparison shots

just a little comparison shots

Just a small update

casey j... 3 times...
day in ground
picture.php

8/1/10 at 4.5 ft tall
picture.php

8/17/10 way WAY bigger... stretch due to flower start / heat wave
picture.php

Manitoid

8/22 update pre all teh trellising work.

8/22 update pre all teh trellising work.

So as I prepare to trellis, I appreciate the scenery around my greenhouse. the pictures are at 730 local time, a great time to be awake and working!

Jack Herer, asking for a trellis. 10 feet wide, 3 feet tall
picture.php

Grand Daddy Purple all beautiful and globular!
picture.php

Durban Poison falling over due to weight of the micro nugs building
picture.php

Bubba Kush, never appears to need trellis, only plant that holds itself completely off ground.
picture.php

Hawaiian beauty. Sativa sativa sativa
picture.php

cucumber growing partially on both sides of trellis
picture.php

:fsu:

Eggplants going...
picture.php

And finally a hash goblin that appeared to me in a bag last year... anyone else see him?
picture.php

Will post pics again soon when plants recover from the trellis installation (occured after these pictures)

dickcorn

Take some pics of those battered women, I want to see the recovery. Looks better then alot of the high dollar bottled nute grows we see here.